Buying from Bikes direct (limited options)

OoAmericanGirl

Aug 2, 2006
We've been bike shopping for my boyfriend's new bike for a while. This is his first road bike and we're only looking to spend $600 since he's not sure if he'll like it. The problem is that he's 6"5 and needs a 60-62cm bike. We've been to several retailers, but the bikes that fit our pirce range don't fit him. No bike shops have any that fit him that are less that $1,000 and the used bikes are normally in the 52 cm range.

We came across this bike http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro07.htm

I've heard people say not to buy from this website and I've talked to people who loved the bikes they bought from them. He's not planning on racing, but would like to get out and ride with me, maybe in some charity rides.

Does anyone have any experience with this website or maybe even this bike?

OoAmericanGirl said:
We've been bike shopping for my boyfriend's new bike for a while. This is his first road bike and we're only looking to spend $600 since he's not sure if he'll like it. The problem is that he's 6"5 and needs a 60-62cm bike. We've been to several retailers, but the bikes that fit our pirce range don't fit him. No bike shops have any that fit him that are less that $1,000 and the used bikes are normally in the 52 cm range.

We came across this bike http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro07.htm

I've heard people say not to buy from this website and I've talked to people who loved the bikes they bought from them. He's not planning on racing, but would like to get out and ride with me, maybe in some charity rides.

2/2003, i bought a motobecane mtb from this source -- initially was favorably impressed. now, understand -- i DON'T do big air, stunts, or anything like that; i ride trail & commute. so, when the frame broke in two places in 3/2004, i contacted both bikesdirect.com and motobecane for some input. that frame now hangs in my garage as a reminder to NEVER go there again. neither of thme ever got back with me, even after repeat contacts.

I got the Windsor Leeds full chromoly with Sora STI shifters two years ago for $340 including shipping and I like it a lot. But beware the derailer was double threaded and the hanger was bent making a clanking sound from the bottom of the cage. My cheap fix was I taped up the teeth on a pair of 14 inch channel lock pliers so not to scratch anything and bent the hanger back so the derailer was inline with the rear wheel again then I tuned the derailer. I have put a lot of miles on it since then (probably around 3000) with no problems I am 6' 1.5" tall the bike is 59cm and it is a race fit for me (seat 2 inches higher than the handlebars) I would go 60 or 61 cm next time for comfort Bikes Direct frames are similar to Fuji so have him test a Fuji if possible.

OoAmericanGirl said:

wiredued said:
I got the Windsor Leeds full chromoly with Sora STI shifters two years ago for $340 including shipping and I like it a lot.

I've read some of your posts and I wouldn't have guessed you ride a $340.00 bike. Your scripture reference is sound. My daughter just finished an art project using clay to make a stream and pond. She needed scripture to relate to it. I remembered your posts and looked it up. It's late, we have to turn it in tomorrow, and you helped me get it done...thanks

Thank you for those kind words I am thrifty about bikes because I don't race yet, I like chromoly and I'm more interested in increasing strength than speed although I am hoping to see some speed increase this year....striveth for the mastery....

Mish said:
I've read some of your posts and I wouldn't have guessed you ride a $340.00 bike. Your scripture reference is sound. My daughter just finished an art project using clay to make a stream and pond. She needed scripture to relate to it. I remembered your posts and looked it up. It's late, we have to turn it in tomorrow, and you helped me get it done...thanks[/QUOthatTE]

I don't like what I hear about that website. We're concidering trading in my old trek (currently resides on the trainer) and that should give us the extra money to get a new trek 1000, somthing I know he'll be happier with.

OoAmericanGirl said:
I don't like what I hear about that website. We're concidering trading in my old trek (currently resides on the trainer) and that should give us the extra money to get a new trek 1000, somthing I know he'll be happier with.
I bet he would be happy with a Felt F1C :)

wiredued said:
Thank you for those kind words I am thrifty about bikes because I don't race yet, I like chromoly and I'm more interested in increasing strength than speed although I am hoping to see some speed increase this year....striveth for the mastery....

I hear ya. I reccently sold my LeMond Zurich. Great steel bike. Own titanium now and actually miss the steel. Bought a used Zurich frame that I'll make a cheap fixed gear out of.

I just got my Motobecane Sprint from BD. It arrived in great shape and the frame is made by Kenisis, components are all name brand. Only the seat and pedals are "cheap". Bang for the buck, you get a lot of value. Take it to your LBS to put it together/tune it and I think your boyfriend would be happy.

My purchase experience was great, emailed sales for a few questions to validated the geometry so I could ride some comparable bikes from my LBS. Plased the order on Sunday evening, got confirmation on Monday and had the bike in hand Friday afternoon. I can't atest to any warranty issues, but when I cracked the seat stay on my Trek mtb, both the LBS I bought it from and Trek said I was out of luck because it was used in a entry-level/novice race. I would say it's worth the warranty risk to buy from BD.

Best of luck on your choice.

OoAmericanGirl said:

boggie01 said:
My purchase experience was great, emailed sales for a few questions to validated the geometry so I could ride some comparable bikes from my LBS. Plased the order on Sunday evening, got confirmation on Monday and had the bike in hand Friday afternoon. I can't atest to any warranty issues, but when I cracked the seat stay on my Trek mtb, both the LBS I bought it from and Trek said I was out of luck because it was used in a entry-level/novice race. I would say it's worth the warranty risk to buy from BD.

Best of luck on your choice.

What does your LBS think about testing theirs and buying online?

I went to 3 stores, told them that I saw a bike online for almost half the price of what I was looking at in the store. I asked their opinion about the brand and experience about buying online- two of the three stores were very supportive. They showed me comparable quality/level rides and let me try them out. I wasn't slimy or deceptive, didn't try to play shops off each other. They offered to build and tune the bike if I ordered online. The third store was rather rude about the concept... making me think I wouldn't take any of my family's 4 bikes to their store for aftermarket service.
My feeling is that if a shop is offended by not making my initial purchase through them, why would I buy any aftermarket items from them? I have to respect a shop that will put their services before the merchandise. The shop would rather service a bike that you bought somewhere else than to not have you as a customer at all.

Mish said:
What does your LBS think about testing theirs and buying online?

Thanks for sharing your experiences/opinions. We decided to trade in my Trek (my very first bike :() and I called the bike shop where I purchased my felt to ask about prices and the owner remembered me and told us to come down and he'd give us a very good deal on either a Felt or a Trek 1000.

boggie01 said:
I went to 3 stores, told them that I saw a bike online for almost half the price of what I was looking at in the store. I asked their opinion about the brand and experience about buying online- two of the three stores were very supportive. They showed me comparable quality/level rides and let me try them out. I wasn't slimy or deceptive, didn't try to play shops off each other. They offered to build and tune the bike if I ordered online. The third store was rather rude about the concept... making me think I wouldn't take any of my family's 4 bikes to their store for aftermarket service.
My feeling is that if a shop is offended by not making my initial purchase through them, why would I buy any aftermarket items from them? I have to respect a shop that will put their services before the merchandise. The shop would rather service a bike that you bought somewhere else than to not have you as a customer at all.

You have had better service than I. There are many shops around here both national and small. I found 1 small shop owner that has the attitude of, were all cyclists and I want to help a fellow cyclist. In my business I educate and consult oftentimes without the initial sale, but referrals are key. The one shop owner understands my budget and the fact that I can build my own. I do buy all I can from him though.