buying garmin units

bababoy

May 4, 2013
has anyone bought from gps-r-us? they seem to sell the garmin units at very good prices.

any good or bad feedback would be great.

thanks!

They're not an official Garmin dealer, so I believe you'll be shouldering all the risk if something goes wrong as it's very possible that Garmin won't warranty or service products from dealers that aren't from official dealers.

If purchasing a Garmin unit in the United States you have certain legal rights regarding the product warranty. Unless specifically and legally proscribed in the product warranty, the manufacturer must extend its warranty to the purchaser. Additionally, individual states have acted to limit the ability of manufacturers to put certain exclusionary clauses in warranties. Simply put, they made it, they have to honor the furnished warranty.

On Garmin's website, there is a specific paragraph excluding Online Auctions.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Online auction purchases: Products purchased through online auctions (this does not apply to purchases made on [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Garmin.com[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]) are not eligible for warranty coverage. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]http://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html[/COLOR]

I can find no exclusion in Garmin's warranty information that excludes units sold by "official" dealers or retailers. I can only find mention of "authorized service centers"...no manufacturer wants Bubba fine tuning your broken, Chinese built Garmin.

As GPS-R-Us are NOT an auction, any Garmin unit purchased thru them would be legible for warranty coverage.

Jhuskey may have not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but he is a lawyer and might chime in with the full legalese explanation of how the law extends some protection to the consumer.