Buying gear whilst overseas

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Walrus, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Walrus

    Walrus Guest

    I'm heading over to Europe (Italy, France, UK) in September. Am I likely
    to find any good deals there? I'm in the market for a new road bike and
    I'm wondering whether I'll find some bargains on the local produce eg
    Colnago. If not bikes, then maybe parts or accessories eg Campagnolo.

    Any ideas?

  2. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    Not sure about bikes though i know Nalini has an outlet shop near its
    factory which has bargain basement prices.

    Bike bags are also cheaper in europe, i found.

    --

  3. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    Walrus wrote:
    > Where is the Nalini factory?

    how did i know that was going to be the next question!:rolleyes:

    Im not sure and only read about this in an old bike magazine i had. I
    bet if you check out the nalini website you should be able to find the
    info you require.

    www.nalini.com

    the english version wasnt working when i just tried it. Maybe it is down
    or just my server, not sure.

    --

  4. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    Walrus wrote:
    > Yeah, I tried the same thing and could only access Italian...thanks
    > for the info.

    Maybe ask the question on the road racing forum. Im sure someone would
    have some info for you.

    --

  5. Walrus

    Walrus Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > Not sure about bikes though i know Nalini has an outlet shop near its
    > factory which has bargain basement prices.
    > Bike bags are also cheaper in europe, i found.

    Where is the Nalini factory?

    --

  6. Walrus

    Walrus Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > how did i know that was going to be the next question!:rolleyes:
    > Im not sure and only read about this in an old bike magazine i had. I
    > bet if you check out the nalini website you should be able to find the
    > info you require.
    > www.nalini.com
    > the english version wasnt working when i just tried it. Maybe it is down
    > or just my server, not sure.

    Yeah, I tried the same thing and could only access Italian...thanks
    for the info.

    --

  7. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Walrus wrote:
    > I'm heading over to Europe (Italy, France, UK) in September. Am I likely
    > to find any good deals there? I'm in the market for a new road bike and
    > I'm wondering whether I'll find some bargains on the local produce eg
    > Colnago. If not bikes, then maybe parts or accessories eg Campagnolo.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > --

    I was in UK about 18 months ago and I was hoping there'd be some
    bargains.

    All the stuff I looked at was either the same price as here or a bit
    more expensive, so in the end it wasn't worth buying anything.

    I didn't look real close so maybe you'll be in luck.

    You'd think that Italy would be the place to get Italian made
    stuff cheaper than here.

    --
    Nick

  8. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > Walrus wrote:
    > > I'm heading over to Europe (Italy, France, UK) in September. Am I likely
    > > to find any good deals there? I'm in the market for a new road bike and
    > > I'm wondering whether I'll find some bargains on the local produce eg
    > > Colnago. If not bikes, then maybe parts or accessories eg Campagnolo.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > > --
    > >

    > I was in UK about 18 months ago and I was hoping there'd be some
    > bargains.
    >
    > All the stuff I looked at was either the same price as here or a bit
    > more expensive, so in the end it wasn't worth buying anything.
    >
    > I didn't look real close so maybe you'll be in luck.
    >
    > You'd think that Italy would be the place to get Italian made
    > stuff cheaper than here.
    >
    > --
    > Nick

    When in Italy, you should try a small shop in a small town for a nice price
    bike.
    Clothing will be very expensive in Italy, as they tend to spend a lot on all
    their clothing.
    To my experience, the German market is by far the most competitive.
    These people: www.roserversand.de ship all over the world. They are just
    across the NL-Ge border, 70 km from where I live ("A bridge too far" area in
    NL). I use the catalogue as reference for cheap or not cheap.

    cheers.

    Bert L. from NL

  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    as previous posters have alluded you will find mailorder is cheap in Europe
    but most stores are not.
    Italy is pretty expensive for everything bikes, plus cappucinos, petrol
    etc. I was amazed that Italy was dearer than Switzerland, maybe something
    to do with supporting the peasants in the South.
    "Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:40d81bc8$0$5[email protected]

    > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Walrus wrote:
    > > > I'm heading over to Europe (Italy, France, UK) in September. Am I

    likely
    > > > to find any good deals there? I'm in the market for a new road bike

    and
    > > > I'm wondering whether I'll find some bargains on the local produce eg
    > > > Colnago. If not bikes, then maybe parts or accessories eg Campagnolo.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > >

    > > I was in UK about 18 months ago and I was hoping there'd be some
    > > bargains.
    > >
    > > All the stuff I looked at was either the same price as here or a bit
    > > more expensive, so in the end it wasn't worth buying anything.
    > >
    > > I didn't look real close so maybe you'll be in luck.
    > >
    > > You'd think that Italy would be the place to get Italian made
    > > stuff cheaper than here.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nick

    > When in Italy, you should try a small shop in a small town for a nice

    price
    > bike.
    > Clothing will be very expensive in Italy, as they tend to spend a lot on

    all
    > their clothing.
    > To my experience, the German market is by far the most competitive.
    > These people: www.roserversand.de ship all over the world. They are just
    > across the NL-Ge border, 70 km from where I live ("A bridge too far" area

    in
    > NL). I use the catalogue as reference for cheap or not cheap.
    >
    > cheers.
    >
    > Bert L. from NL

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Walrus wrote:
    > I'm heading over to Europe (Italy, France, UK) in September. Am I likely
    > to find any good deals there? I'm in the market for a new road bike and
    > I'm wondering whether I'll find some bargains on the local produce eg
    > Colnago. If not bikes, then maybe parts or accessories eg Campagnolo.
    > Any ideas?

    I was in Europe in April (Italy, Germany, UK) and the prices for gear
    that I spotted were all more expsensive than here. Mind you, I probably
    only found some of the bigger stores..

    www.thehippy.net/gallery/ has pics of the holiday for the curious.

    hippy

    --

  11. rickster

    rickster Guest

    Walrus <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm heading over to Europe (Italy, France, UK) in September. Am I likely
    > to find any good deals there? I'm in the market for a new road bike and
    > I'm wondering whether I'll find some bargains on the local produce eg
    > Colnago. If not bikes, then maybe parts or accessories eg Campagnolo.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    For bike "consumables" i.e tyres, cleats, clothes (espeicially Ag2r
    and Cofidis:

    Decathlon

    (www.decathlon.com)

    When I was in Europe in 2002, I was buying Michelin ProRace for AU$
    50 each, Look cleats for AU$ 12. They had Look Pedal cleat sets for
    AU$ 75.00, and it goes on. I'm back in Europe in August and hope to
    buy up big.

    They are not big stockers of non-consumables, such as group set
    components and bars, stems etc, and they only sell Decathlon brand
    bikes.