buying miscellaneous bolts?

Ben

Guest
In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.

I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.

Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common or
somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?

By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?

-Ben

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
>
> I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
>
> By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?
>
> -Ben

A socket cap bolt. On bikes they are metric. If you need a specific one, good hardware stores as
well as Lowes and Home Depot generally have a very good selection of most common metric bolts,
washers, nuts, etc. Take a sample of what you need. You can get these in plated or stainless.

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
>
> I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?

Local hardware store, pick two from each bin. Many places sell by weight. Or try your LBS.

> By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?

I've always heard it called a hexhead

Pete

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
|
| I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
|
| Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
| or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
|
| By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
| wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?
|
| -Ben

Refer to the allen head and most anyone in hardware will know of what you speak. Also referred to as
'socket cap'.

Why not find a well stocked hardware store with an assortment of metric hardware, if not the LBS.
Most assortment packs will contain everything but the one thing you really need. You might find what
you need here: http://mscfasteners.com/index.html

ED3

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
>
> I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
>
> By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?
>
> -Ben

Anyone know where to get a replacement thumbscrew for a Niterider Taillight? Mine came loose on a
ride and was lost.

They're called "Socket Head" screws. Cap screws, button head, flat, shoulder... Made outta
stainless, steel, Aluminum... Metric, and SAE. You can get assortment kits at McMaster Carr,
Grainger, MSC... They all have online sites.

If you want a set specifically for bicycle sizes, lengths... good luck.

skuke

Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
>
> I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
>
> By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?
>
> -Ben

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
>
> I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
>
> By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?

You might ask at your LBS. We end up with more small fasteners than we'll ever use in some sizes
such as the 5mm screw that holds your carrier to the frame end. It isn't likely that your foundling
screws will be metric, although an SAE #10-32 is pretty close and might be OK in that application.
Generally, keep your SAE and metric screws apart.

Metric screws with a six-sided head are DIN#933. The standard height nut for it is DIN#934. Nylock
nuts are DIN#985. The most common cap screw ( Round head with an allen broach inside) is DIN#912.
There are other allen head cap screws (various heights and shapes).

Besides your local hardware store, several vendors sell a set of plastic drawers filled with an
assortment of metric fasteners. The same guys who sell assortments of wood screws, SAE screws,
electrical conectors, etc.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:52:51 -0500 Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common or
>somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?

Many hardware stores have assortments of metric bolts.

>By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
>wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?

It's a socket head cap screw.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
> >
> > I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
> >
> > Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> > or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
> >
> > By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> > wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?
> >
> > -Ben
>
> A socket cap bolt. On bikes they are metric. If you need a specific one, good hardware stores as
> well as Lowes and Home Depot generally have a very good selection of most common metric bolts,
> washers, nuts, etc. Take a sample of what you need. You can get these in plated or stainless.

Lowes, Home Depot, etc. are a good source for bolts, but they don't carry the stronger variety. For
a bike rack they are probably fine. For applications like shock mounts, they won't last long, in my
experience. I got replacements from the frame mfg.

In article <[email protected]>, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common or
>somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?

Any decent hardware store will have allen head screws. Most bike screws are M5 metric size, which
any decent hardware store should also have. You may have to find a better hardware store if you want
metric screws in stainless steel with allen heads. I've found the more common black oxide coated
bolts to rust in short order on a bike.

I haven't found any place where one get bicycle style socket head cap screws. The 5mm cap head
screws you can buy take a 4mm allen wrench, the flat head or button head versions take a 3mm wrench.
Most of the 5mm screws that I received with bikes or bike parts take a 5mm allen wrench. I can't
find any place to buy these. Well, SRP sells a M5 x 8mm titanium screw for $5.20. But I'd rather get
stainless M5 screws in various lengths for a reasonable price.

>But I'd rather get stainless M5 screws in various lengths for a reasonable price.

Definitely get stainless. This includes washers, too. They aren't that expensive, and you will be
glad you did. A bit of blue Loctite is always a good idea since you don't want those costly bicycle
fasteners running adrift at the point of maximum effort.

Easy and cheap, don't get those substandard fasteners.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

Try

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14216&ts=69663

Remove rubbish to reply.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:52:51 -0500, Ben wrote:

> In my tool closet I have a few containers of assorted screws and bolts.
>
> I also have a missing allen-head screw from my rear bike rack.
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?
>
> By the way, what do you call screws/bolts with allen-wrench heads. A hex bolt is for a
> wrench/ratchet, so what's it called if it needs an allen wrench?
>
> -Ben

I hate going to the hardwarestore (ie: Home Depot) and having to wait in line for a few small items.
I've had good service from this company; http://www.southcoaststainless.com/

Another place that has good service and all kinds of bike odds and ends;
http://www.thethirdhand.com/

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Besides your local hardware store, several vendors sell a set of plastic drawers filled with an
> assortment of metric fasteners. The same guys who sell assortments of wood screws, SAE screws,
> electrical conectors, etc.

Don't bike-business distributors still sell bike-centric fastener assortments? I seem to remember
getting little plastic shadowboxes like "Assorted 5mm", etc. They came stocked with common bike
thread lengths and head styles, in corrosion-resistant finishes-- a mixture far better optimized for
bike use than the hardware merchant's fastener drawers.

I imagine that any bike shop proprietor would be willing to special-order some of these shop
supplies for a customer.

Chalo Colina

"Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Besides your local hardware store, several vendors sell
a set of plastic
> > drawers filled with an assortment of metric fasteners.
The same guys who
> > sell assortments of wood screws, SAE screws, electrical
conectors, etc.

> Don't bike-business distributors still sell bike-centric
fastener
> assortments? I seem to remember getting little plastic
shadowboxes
> like "Assorted 5mm", etc. They came stocked with common
bike thread
> lengths and head styles, in corrosion-resistant finishes--
a mixture
> far better optimized for bike use than the hardware
merchant's
> fastener drawers.
>
> I imagine that any bike shop proprietor would be willing
> special-order some of these shop supplies for a customer.

Loose Screws / Third Hand used to sell bike bolt assortments. I don't know about now.

Personally, I haven't had any trouble getting good bike bolts at the local hardware store, or marine
hardware store, which is a good source for stainless.

Matt O.

Try a real hardware store - not HD or any of the other Borgs. All hardware stores I've been are
friendly and helpful - so are the people that work in them. They'll help you find what you need,
even to the point of letting me bring my bike in and try for a fit (or let me take the part out to
the bike and try it.) Many of the hardware store workers are mechanically inclined, some may even be
a bike rider too.

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
<-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

Ben wrote:
> Is there anywhere I can buy a box of miscellaneous bike bolts? You know, an assortment of common
> or somewhat-common sizes and lengths, all with the allen head?

I've just ordered 5 pounds (weight) of "bicycle shop floor scrapings" for 5 pounds (sterling - so
guess where I live) from www.sjscycles.com. I suspect postage might be a problem if you are on the
other side of the Atlantic. I can't wait to see what I get....

JimP

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Besides your local hardware store, several vendors sell a set of plastic drawers filled with an
> > assortment of metric fasteners. The same guys
who
> > sell assortments of wood screws, SAE screws, electrical conectors, etc.

"Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't bike-business distributors still sell bike-centric fastener assortments? I seem to remember
> getting little plastic shadowboxes like "Assorted 5mm", etc. They came stocked with common bike
> thread lengths and head styles, in corrosion-resistant finishes-- a mixture far better optimized
> for bike use than the hardware merchant's fastener drawers.
>
> I imagine that any bike shop proprietor would be willing to special-order some of these shop
> supplies for a customer.

I must have missed it if they are out there. The last vendor who I remember offering such was
Belleri in Florida and they've been out of business a long time. Anyone else know a current cycle
distributor with a hardware assortment?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:37:22 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> I imagine that any bike shop proprietor would be willing to special-order some of these shop
>> supplies for a customer.
>
>I must have missed it if they are out there. The last vendor who I remember offering such was
>Belleri in Florida and they've been out of business a long time. Anyone else know a current cycle
>distributor with a hardware assortment?

United Bicycle Parts, Ashland Oregon.

-------------------------------
http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
-------------------------------

On 29 Mar 2003, Bluto wrote:

> Don't bike-business distributors still sell bike-centric fastener assortments?

Bike Tools etc... sells bags of 10 of just about every small fastener germane to bikes for about a
buck-fifty each. Their catalogue has the 1000-lot bottles too, but I cannot seem to find them on
their website.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/

Look under Repari Parts > Fasteners.

I've ordered from them once of twice. No trouble at all.

--
Kind Regards, Bruce.