Buying my first bike in 12 years... Need help!

SharkBites

Mar 11, 2013
Recently getting back into biking and am in need of a new bike after my brother got into an accident with my old mongoose and DESTROYED it! All of the bike shops in my area are extremely over priced and I really don't want a Walmart bike. I have a 16 mile round trip commute to work 5 days a week and I'd like to save gas and start biking my commute once warmer weather comes. I've ridden a diamondback bike before and loved it! I've also been looking at specialized bikes also. It is by no means a smooth ride to work, so I'm looking for a bike that has front suspension, disc brakes, and a flex stem. Any help would be appreciated!

It sounds as if you're budget challenged on this one or you're unable to see the reasons why the bikes at LBS in your town are as expensive as they are.

In either case, I recommend Craigslist for your bike shopping needs. I don't know how large the population of Toledo is but in my area, there are always at least a dozen or so bikes that I'd consider buying. That's where I got my current ride a year and a half ago. eBay may be another option for you but you'd have to pay for shipping and that gets pricey.

Good luck!

Brian in VA

I'm not really budget challenged, I just think 3000 is a bit much for a bike. I have about 700 to spend on one. People in there don't really want to help unless you have several thousand to waste.

SharkBites said:
I'm not really budget challenged, I just think 3000 is a bit much for a bike. I have about 700 to spend on one. People in there don't really want to help unless you have several thousand to waste.
Go to a different LBS. You should also look at new old stock bikes as they can be heavily discounted.

If all they have are $3000 bikes, go to another shop. If they won't wait on you, go to another shop. That kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated by a consumer.

There are plenty of bikes in your price range, just find someone that carries them. From a quick Google search, Reggie's Bike Shop has plenty that fit your budget.

Brian in VA

Their attitude sounds similar to a bike shop near me in Brooklyn. Any decent bike shop should have a variety of bikes and models starting at least at the $500 pricepoint. And there should ideally be a few choices in the $700 range. They should also be willing to spend time talking with customers shopping at that pricepoint, as much time as it takes to answer all your questions. Imagine how much time they'll be willing to spend with you once they've already made the sale. Nada.

Btw, even with rough roads I may look beyond front suspension. Unless the daily commute is over cobblestones or singletrack, you'd be surprised what even slightly wider tires (even 25c and 28c) can do toward making a bike ride more comfortably.