Buying my first road bike. Down to 2 bikes. Please advice.

kludge

Feb 16, 2011
Hi there :)

I am a newbie to the bicycling world. I have been digging around the forum to get an idea on how to choose a bike.

I have a limited budget and I made the selection down to two bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 7 Sora and Felt F85. (2011 both.)

I read very good reviews about the Cannondale frames, yet the reviews about Shimano Sora are not so bright when compared to 105. F85 should be a very good frame as well (for a beginner), yet people find Cannondale frame stiffer and more aggressive.

CAAD8 7 Sora Components:
Casette: SRAM PG-950, 12-26
Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora, 34.9 clamp
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sora
Shifters: Shimano Sora

Felt F85 Components:
Casette: Shimano 105 Cassette, 11-25T
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 34.9mm clamp-on, double
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 SS Short Cage
Shifters: Micro.Shift Integrated Shifter/Brake Lever 20 speed

As a beginner I may not feel the difference between these two bikes at all, yet I think I will not upgrade any of these important parts for a long time. That is why I want to pick the right one once and start riding it.

Your opinions/experiences will be very helpful.

Have you ridden both bikes to see how they each feel to you?

I would go with the bike that feels the best to you. If you like the way the CAAD8 rides the best, then don't let the Sora equipment scare you off. If it's properly adjusted it should work just as well as the 105....it probably won't last 20 years like the 105 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif, but it should give you several years of good service. Then in a few years you can check out upgrading your equipment group or you may want to trade that bike in for something else. Lots of options there....

You may decide you like the Felt bike the best and if so....then it already has 105 which should last a very long time....

If you ride both bikes and the both feel right, I'd go with the Felt... but like mentioned, you need to ride them both and get a feel for them first. Fit and feel is important because you won't ride a bike that is uncomfortable...

Many thanks for your advices.. I don't know if I will get the chance of riding any before buying one. My local store didn't have either of them at the time I went to find a bike for my budget, and they said they would order it from the provider, should I make a ten percent payment..

Originally Posted by kludge .

.... My local store didn't have either of them at the time I went to find a bike for my budget, and they said they would order it from the provider, should I make a ten percent payment..
Did your store at least have you test ride a similar model? Did they check for correct sizing on fit on another model in each manufacturer's line? If not I'd strongly suggest checking other bike shops before putting a down payment on a bike that you haven't ridden or checked for fit and proper sizing. It seems very likely the shop will order the bike if you make a down payment and then when it arrives they'll 'convince' you that it's the right bike with the right fit regardless of how poorly it fits or what you think of the feel because they've already custom ordered and assembled the bike. IOW, you'll be stuck with it for better or worse.

Find a shop that carries the brands your interested in and both fits you and lets you test ride at least similar models (same frames and same geometries, perhaps different components if they don't carry every model in every line) before putting a down payment on a specific bike.

Bike fit and subjective feel are everything. Components can be changed out over time but the basic ride qualities and fit are something you'll have to live with for a long time.

-Dave

Reactions: kludge
Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Did your store at least have you test ride a similar model? Did they check for correct sizing on fit on another model in each manufacturer's line? If not I'd strongly suggest checking other bike shops before putting a down payment on a bike that you haven't ridden or checked for fit and proper sizing. It seems very likely the shop will order the bike if you make a down payment and then when it arrives they'll 'convince' you that it's the right bike with the right fit regardless of how poorly it fits or what you think of the feel because they've already custom ordered and assembled the bike. IOW, you'll be stuck with it for better or worse.

Find a shop that carries the brands your interested in and both fits you and lets you test ride at least similar models (same frames and same geometries, perhaps different components if they don't carry every model in every line) before putting a down payment on a specific bike.

Bike fit and subjective feel are everything. Components can be changed out over time but the basic ride qualities and fit are something you'll have to live with for a long time.

-Dave

+1 I wouldn't buy a bike without testing riding it. Or test riding several.....

Is there another store you can go to? Any trustworthy store would practically insist on you riding before buying, unless you're a VERY experienced rider, and probably still even then. It's just best for everyone involved. If they don't have your choices in stock to ride they should at least be willing to pull some test options for...say a different CAAD or Felt with the same frame to test ride comfort, and perhaps a couple other bikes to allow you to test Sora vs. 105. For that matter, you can get a good enough feel for the shifting ergonomics of the groups by riding on a trainer in the store. If they're less willing to help you out because of your low budget, find a place that will. A sale is a sale, and every entry-level bike they sell now is a potential service and/or upgrade customer down the road. So far I have received the same high level of treatment every time I've gone into any LBS, from when I started out looking in your price range all the way to recent trips now that my budget is almost triple what it was. Don't settle on service. My $.02 anyway.

I've ridden Sora and Apex groups so far. The only real difference I noticed was the Sora was just a little clunkier. By that I mean that it took a little more effort to shift, and the chain movement was definitely louder when it shifted. That said, I can't say I noticed any difference in the speed of the shifts on the rear cassette (essentially instantaneous); the front rings were much smoother on the Apex. The Sora felt just a solid as the Apex, not to mention the Tiagra 105, and Rival groups I've dry shifted on the sales floor. You definitely get smoother performance as you step up in groups, but the starting point of Sora is still very, very good.

Insist on a test ride!

Originally Posted by kludge .

Many thanks for your advices.. I don't know if I will get the chance of riding any before buying one. My local store didn't have either of them at the time I went to find a bike for my budget, and they said they would order it from the provider, should I make a ten percent payment..

Reactions: kludge