Buying my first roadie

SomeGuy

New Member
May 18, 2004
I'm thinking about getting a road bike to compliment my - fairly heavily upgraded - Giant XTC 2 mtb. At first just so I don't have to put slicks on my MTB everytime I want to do a road ride, but the eventual plan is to join in group training rides (although the whole riding in a bunch thing is a little daunting) and then racing. I'm fairly fit at the moment and race B grade in MTB races.

Enough about me: http://www.feltbicycles.com/felt2006/specs/f80.html

$1470, 105 components. Bonus points for being bright yella :)). $1470 is more than I wanted to spend, but I don't really like the look of the OCR2 ($1250) or it's tiagra drivetrain. The next Felt model down (F90) is only $1100 but its 8sp Tiagra drivetrain is a real turnoff.

So what I'm after is opinions on the F80 (I took it for a test ride and it seemed fine, very little experiance with road bikes though) or suggestions of other bikes I should look at which can be had for <$1500. Thanks!

SomeGuy wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a road bike to compliment my - fairly heavily
> upgraded - Giant XTC 2 mtb. At first just so I don't have to put slicks
> on my MTB everytime I want to do a road ride, but the eventual plan is
> to join in group training rides (although the whole riding in a bunch
> thing is a little daunting) and then racing. I'm fairly fit at the
> moment and race B grade in MTB races.
>
> Enough about me: http://www.feltbicycles.com/felt2006/specs/f80.html
>
> $1470, 105 components. Bonus points for being bright yella :)). $1470
> is more than I wanted to spend, but I don't really like the look of the
> OCR2 ($1250) or it's tiagra drivetrain. The next Felt model down (F90)
> is only $1100 but its 8sp Tiagra drivetrain is a real turnoff.

If you like bright yellow bikes, another one to test out which costs
basically the same amount and also runs Shimano 105 (20 speed) is the
Merida 904-20.

http://www.merida.com/s0_global/main_control.php?group0=bikes&group1=roadrace&bikeId=63

Like your choice.
I got an F70 last year. I've managed to rack up 4000km in the last 10 months, and I haven't really had any problems. Just a bent rear derailer hanger due to one too many falls when getting used to the shoes..

When looking at cost, if you don't have shoes, don't forget to factor that in when working out what you can afford. When I bought my bike last year, I added an extra $200 for shoes, pump, bag, levers, spare tubes, etc..
It's worth shopping around, as some places will throw in some of the extras.
If you can hang out a few months, things tend to get cheaper in June (but not always) as the sales start.
I agree with you, I definitely wouldn't go for the F90, with it's Sora shifters.

In other news, I know what you mean about pack riding being daunting in the beginning. When I got my road bike last year, my brother in law was nagging me to join him on beach road (Melbourne's cycling mecca).
I had read about pack riding, the hand signals, the close riding, the snobbism, hey a rider has joined our pack with non matching shoes, time to up the pace, etc....
Anyway, the first time there, I was a little nervous about it. It wasn't long after we started that a pack went by. My brother-in-law nodded, and we hopped on the back. It was a reasonable size, around 15. As we went along, others joined the back, and we swelled to about 30, with us right in the middle. The hand signals were in full swing, and I watched the front of the pack, where some riders were rotating, sharing the load into the wind. I wondered if the rotation would reach back to us, and we would have to do some work at the front.
As I was thinking that, the guy in front of me pulled out, and waved me up.
Wow, first time in a pack, and I'm being waved into the rotation. Maybe they can see potential in me. Nervous, and excited I moved up next to him.
As I caught up, we exchanged hellos. Then he said those words that still ring in my ears today.
"hey mate. Just thought I'd better tell you before others notice, but you've got your helmet on backwards"...

Time stood still....

Thought it might be a good time for a quick stop, and some adjustments.
Anyway, it didn't take long to get the hang of it all. By the time October came, and Around the Bay, pack riding was second nature. There's nothing better than being in a pack that can set up a good rotation where everyone does their bit. The km just disappear...

Good luck with the purchase, and make sure you update us on your progress.

peterlip said:
As I caught up, we exchanged hellos. Then he said those words that still ring in my ears today.
"hey mate. Just thought I'd better tell you before others notice, but you've got your helmet on backwards"...

Time stood still....
Peter, thank you for sharing that little gem with us. It's such an easy mistake to make but you'll never make that one again. I'm just lucky that my helmet has a sticker inside it with front and an arrow to help me! :cool:

Travis wrote:
> Travis wrote:
>
>> If you like bright yellow bikes, another one to test out which costs
>> basically the same amount and also runs Shimano 105 (20 speed) is the
>> Merida 904-20.

I think Learsport have a bright yeller one (Learsport 7000
http://tinyurl.com/reowf). Comes with Sora though and toe clips. Could
upgrade the groupset maybe. I have heard a lot of good reports from
Learsport riders and their bikes are relatively cheap. Having said
that, I shopped around for ages and decided I had to get either a trek
or a giant. Looked around for old stock that was being flogged off
cheap and managed a TCR2 for around $1400.

--
Bean "pedalin' too fast this morning and my legs feel like shite!"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Travis said:
If you like bright yellow bikes, another one to test out which costs basically the same amount and also runs Shimano 105 (20 speed) is the
Merida 904-20.

I had seen that, and it does looks pretty nice. However I was under the impression I'd be looking at $1600-1700 for it which really is more than I want to spend.

I will consider bikes which aren't bright yellow BTW :).

Bean Long said:
I have heard a lot of good reports from
Learsport riders and their bikes are relatively cheap.

So cheap that you might want to give hundreds of them away for free in fact...

Thought about a second-hand bike? Lots of folk upgrade fairly regularly
and sell on eBay. Obviously there may be some wear/replacement issues,
but you could get yourself a sweet frame and good gear for the same
money as a basic new bike.

Donga

SomeGuy wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a road bike to compliment my - fairly heavily
> upgraded - Giant XTC 2 mtb. At first just so I don't have to put slicks
> on my MTB everytime I want to do a road ride, but the eventual plan is
> to join in group training rides (although the whole riding in a bunch
> thing is a little daunting) and then racing. I'm fairly fit at the
> moment and race B grade in MTB races.
>
> Enough about me: http://www.feltbicycles.com/felt2006/specs/f80.html
>
> $1470, 105 components. Bonus points for being bright yella :)). $1470
> is more than I wanted to spend, but I don't really like the look of the
> OCR2 ($1250) or it's tiagra drivetrain. The next Felt model down (F90)
> is only $1100 but its 8sp Tiagra drivetrain is a real turnoff.
>
> So what I'm after is opinions on the F80 (I took it for a test ride and
> it seemed fine, very little experiance with road bikes though) or
> suggestions of other bikes I should look at which can be had for
> <$1500. Thanks!
>
> --
> SomeGuy

Can't comment on the F80 but I ride an F50 and love her to bits - it's
the ultegra spec one - she's my silver bullet.

Tam

SomeGuy wrote:
> Travis Wrote:
> > If you like bright yellow bikes, another one to test out which costs
> > basically the same amount and also runs Shimano 105 (20 speed) is the
> > Merida 904-20.

> I had seen that, and it does looks pretty nice. However I was under the
> impression I'd be looking at $1600-1700 for it which really is more than
> I want to spend.

The LBS was quoting me a bit less than that.

If I can convince the other half its worth forking out nearly two grand
on a bicycle, I will buy one soon, though I still haven't fully made up
my mind which bike I'll get. I'm looking at a Trek 1400, a Giant OCR1,
an Avanti Carbonio, the Merida 904-20 (which is the best looking of
these, mainly because I like the colour) or whatever other bike the
next LBS will show me. Someone here suggested a Shogun Ninja, I'll
drop by their shop to take a look at that also (though its got an all
black paint job if pics on the net are accurate, which isn't my
preferred colour scheme).

Here is an article which has a link to a Merida review, though its for
the previous year's model and the newer bike looked a bit different to
me. They gave it a pretty decent mark though said the cables were
shoddy. They can be replaced easily and cheaply enough though if
that's still a problem on the 2006 model.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/780/V/2/SP/332782698784328805316

SomeGuy said:
[...]

Gah, it's so hard to decide. 2004 Litespeed Capella which has seen a fair bit of use, or a new Merida 904-20, or a new Felt F80. :|.

A 2004 bike can't have seen much use, compared to its lifetime. The
Capella would be pretty nice. Not as nice as Litespeed Ti, but still
very special. Check out the Litespeed website and some online reviews.
Ride it.

Donga

Donga said:

I have. Twas very nice. Just about worried about something breaking (all those reviews of broken shimano STI shifters) and leaving me out of pocket big bucks. Then on the flipside, it's a nicer bike than the F80 or 904.

Look at it this way: You save on gym fees 2x$8 per week = $832 per
year. And if you ride it to work instead of catching the bus, that's
another $1500 per year. Less social coffee at $3x3 per week = $468.
That leaves you $1864 to spend on a bike habit, every year. If your
chancellor of the exchequer still complains, point out how healthy you
are.
i.e. buy the bike you want.

Donga

i.e. buy the bike you want.

The problem is I've already got a MTBing habit which I'm spending more than your suggested $1864 on every year.

All three bikes cost the same anyway, it's just a question of do I get a better speced bike which has seen two years of use or a new bike which has almost the same (105 vs Ultegra) spec level.

SomeGuy:
>The problem is I've already got a MTBing habit which I'm spending more than your suggested $1864 on every year.

Hmmm, justification no. 2: I really want it!
No. 3: I was going to get a WRX but decided to save money, darling.

PHP:
Donga said:
SomeGuy:
>The problem is I've already got a MTBing habit which I'm spending more than your suggested $1864 on every year.

Hmmm, justification no. 2: I really want it!
No. 3: I was going to get a WRX but decided to save money, darling.
PHP:

Sold my WRX in 2004 - bought mrs a new mazda 3 and bought me an 04 pinarello opera (OMG I love steel frames) - everyone happy. Happy wife = happy life.

my first "real" roadie was a trek 1400 which i paid around $1600 for. Full 105 bike and a reas good quality life-time guaranteed frame.

Someguy, my advice is to get the best frame you can afford that fits you - the gruppo you upgrade as it wears out (ebay and PBK are just wonderful, wonderful things). This whole "frame-first" approach extends to second hand. If you can find a better quality second hand frame in good nick, then go for that over a new lower-end frame (only of the rest of the thing is OK and otherwise rideable etc etc). The better quality frames usually come with decent running gear too.

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 00:39:26 -0800, Donga wrote:

> Less social coffee at $3x3 per week = $468.

Always knew you roadies were anti-social, but I though all cyclists ran on
coffee?

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
'Behold ye angels, I have created the ****. Throughout the ages to come,