Buying my first roadie

Always knew you roadies were anti-social, but I though all cyclists ran on coffee?

I think that's the point. You save $2300 on gym fees and transport, you spend an extra $500 on coffee. :).

Well I've sent a message to the guy selling the Litespeed saying I'll go for it. I figure it's frame and fork is nicer than what I'd get with the Felt or Merida. And if bits break and I have to replace em... well buying stuff is fun after all, if a little painful :).

It's a lot lighter too, I think about 8.2kg including pedals. You'll hear more once I've gotten it and taken it for a few decent rides.

SomeGuy wrote:
> Travis Wrote:
> > If you like bright yellow bikes, another one to test out which costs
> > basically the same amount and also runs Shimano 105 (20 speed) is the
> > Merida 904-20.

> I had seen that, and it does looks pretty nice. However I was under the
> impression I'd be looking at $1600-1700 for it which really is more than
> I want to spend.

There is a gorgeous looking 60cm framed Pinarello Surprise (bright
yellow!) on Ebay at the moment, no bids yet, starting bid $1,000.

Also an equally gorgeous 56cm "burnt orange" Pinarello Prince with
numerous bidders, but the bidding is up over $2,000 now.

Random Data wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 00:39:26 -0800, Donga wrote:
>
> > Less social coffee at $3x3 per week = $468.

> Always knew you roadies were anti-social, but I though all cyclists ran on
> coffee?

$3 for a coffee? Hahahahahaha! Ah, BrisVegas rocks. Come along to a
Friday ride and get your $2 coffee or should I say, buy 2, get one free!

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Random Data wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 00:39:26 -0800, Donga wrote:
>
> > Less social coffee at $3x3 per week = $468.

> Always knew you roadies were anti-social, but I though all cyclists ran on
> coffee?

$3 for a coffee? Hahahahahaha! Ah, BrisVegas rocks. Come along to a
Friday ride and get your $2 coffee or should I say, buy 2, get one free!

Tam
Yeah but the thing is we Melbournians actually know how to make a *nice* coffee. ;).

SomeGuy wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Random Data wrote:

> > > Always knew you roadies were anti-social, but I though all cyclists

> > ran on
> > > coffee?

> > $3 for a coffee? Hahahahahaha! Ah, BrisVegas rocks. Come along to a
> > Friday ride and get your $2 coffee or should I say, buy 2, get one
> > free!
> >
> > Tam

> Yeah but the thing is we Melbournians actually know how to make a
> *nice* coffee. ;).
>
> --
> SomeGuy

That statement was relevant about 5 years ago. Don't get out much?

Tam

SomeGuy wrote:

> > That statement was relevant about 5 years ago. Don't get out much?

> Well not to Brisbane, no.
>
> --
> SomeGuy

Could be time for a long ride in your program ;-)

Tam

SomeGuy:
>Yeah but the thing is we Melbournians actually know how to make a *nice* coffee. ;).

Oh, spare me the coffee wars! Fortunately some culture started to leak
up here after Expo, which was well into last century. Now you can even
get a reasonable coffee if you hunt in many back blocks.

It all comes down to weather, and ours is better than yours. We've got
the advertising campaign to prove it! Even yesterday, it was wet and
blowy but still not cold.

Donga

It all comes down to weather, and ours is better than yours.

Give me Melbourne weather over Brisbane any day. I love the cold, even Melbourne is too hot for me in January and Feburary. That hot sticky humid weather you guys get drives me nuts.

I'd move to Tasmania if they weren't so bloody strange.

Could be time for a long ride in your program ;-)

Well I am planning on a visit in August, but the idea was to catch the plane...

SomeGuy wrote:

> > It all comes down to weather, and ours is better than yours.

> Give me Melbourne weather over Brisbane any day. I love the cold, even
> Melbourne is too hot for me in January and Feburary. That hot sticky
> humid weather you guys get drives me nuts.

You get used to it. Even Poms get used to it.

> I'd move to Tasmania if they weren't so bloody strange.

Who is strange? I'd move there anyway.

> > Could be time for a long ride in your program ;-)

> Well I am planning on a visit in August, but the idea was to catch the
> plane...

*frowns* Planes are just so passe...

Nah, that's fair, I'm flying to Sydney on Friday. Didn't think I'd be up
for my little bushwalk after riding the entire way.

Tam

On 2006-03-06, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> SomeGuy wrote:
>>
>> > It all comes down to weather, and ours is better than yours.

>> Give me Melbourne weather over Brisbane any day. I love the cold, even
>> Melbourne is too hot for me in January and Feburary. That hot sticky
>> humid weather you guys get drives me nuts.

> You get used to it. Even Poms get used to it.

I didn't, even after 3 years on the sunny coast, and didn't get used
to Sydney after 5 years.

And I agree with SomeGuy, in that I am still not used to and don't
like Melb summers. It seems to be almost over, thankfully.

Mind you, I do have to admit that when I went to the gold coast for a
conference a couple of winters ago, it was nice to be able to swimming
at the beach in water that was warmer than the water in Melbourne of
Bells beach in mid summer.

>> I'd move to Tasmania if they weren't so bloody strange.

> Who is strange? I'd move there anyway.

It's the whole two headed thing. I landed in Burnley, IIRC, and the
people of Burnley were the first people I met from the island.
Fortunately the rest turned out nicer and with fewer heads :)

--
TimC
I'm not a procrastinator! I'm temporally challenged! --unknown

TimC:
>I didn't, even after 3 years on the sunny coast, and didn't get used to Sydney after 5 years.
>And I agree with SomeGuy, in that I am still not used to and don't like Melb summers. It seems to be >almost over, thankfully.

Has anywhere got great summers? Southern climes are too hot/cold,
Sydney and Brissie too humid. A bit of elevation outside the city can
help in each. The thought that keeps me going in Brisbane is the
perfect, long "winters" - they make it all worthwhile, and then some.

Donga