buying new bike to commute

mmchambe

Jun 24, 2003
I'm selling the car and buying a bike.

A couple of choices are in my head. I go to college, so I have talked with a lot of cycle shops and I have decided to go with 26" rims, that I'm going to put narrow tires on to make it faster. I have narrowed that down to 2 choices:

1) Raleigh sc40
2) Giant Sedona

I could spec each up more or get the higher version of each, but I don't want to spend too much on my first bike for commuting, but at the same time, I'm going to put all kinds of wear and tear on it, so I want something that I won't have to replace next year.

Just a note, the Raleigh comes with free: helmet (Bel), Ulock, water bottle, pump, and patch kit.

Is it worth getting the Raleigh for the obvious savings?

thanks,
Confused in NC

I don't know about either of those two bikes, but don't make your deciding factor be the freebies of the one. If you plan to keep this bike for a while as you say, then pick the bike thats best for the job. Although maybe it is the one with the freebies. ;)

Thanks aero, I was beginning to think no one responded to these things!

I'm in the process of getting my car to sell so I can have money for the bike, wish me luck!

Don't spend a lot on your first bike (or your first bike for a particular purpose). If you end up riding a lot, spend some money later. If you don't, you won't lose so much. Any bike will get you from here to there. Finding the limitations in a cheap bike is part of learning about what works and why, at what price.

I got a 1968 Schwinn Racer for commuting (e-bay, but garage sales will do, too). Gets me there, and I swear drivers are nicer to me (pity?). Fenders are great.

Originally posted by Geonz
I got a 1968 Schwinn Racer for commuting (e-bay, but garage sales will do, too). Gets me there, and I swear drivers are nicer to me (pity?). Fenders are great.

I don't know if this decision has been made by now. Here is what I would look for in a commuter bike:

- a rack that can handle reasonably heavy bags (you may want to buy some food on the way home...).

- fenders, since you are going to ride in the rain sometimes.

- a dynamo light: if you ride every day the worrying about the battery will be a real pain. And you will end up riding at night. Remember: a good light is more important for safety than a helmet.

All these things can be mounted after buying, but they will cost extra money.

How fast the bike has to be depends on your mileage.

If you want to pay some more money for an internally geared hub (SRAM for example) you can have the chain enclosed. This will cut down on maintenance quite significantly. And keep your pant legs clean, if you ride in your everyday clothes (the way I do).

I agree with some of the above advice about the freebies, etc. Don't let somebody sell you a bike; you have to be actively out there, buying your rig. If you know what you want, you'll be more likely to get out of your bike what you put into it -- IE, you can spend something that's reasonably aligned with your needs, rather than the bottom line of your local bike shop.

I don't know much about either of the bikes you mentioned. I commute on a fixed gear and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's not for everyone, but don't let one test ride or someone's negative view talk you out of at least considering it. It's an almost symbiotic relationship between rider and machine -- and the simplicity of it -- two triangles, two circles, a chain and a pair of cogs, is (at the risk of sounding corny) beautiful.

Whatever you buy, kudos to you for choosing to be one of the few, the proud, the brave: bicycle commuters. It's a choice to change your life. Congratulations.

Originally posted by HellonWheels
Originally posted by mmchambe
I'm selling the car and buying a bike.

>>>>

Alright! Another one giving up the smogmobile!

You might want to stop by the forum here too:

http://www.carbusters.org

As a longtime utility cyclist, I have two bikes both of which are outfitted for utility purposes (panniers on the sides on both bikes.) Mine are old, 1970ish 3 speeds with fenders (mudguards to any Brits reading this.) I swear by them, they are GREAT bikes!

I was at a flea market Saturday, a guy paid 20 bucks for a BEAUTIFUL 10 speed 1970s Free Spirit Brittany bike. God I loved it and would have bought it if that ^%$# didnt beat me to it! It was outfitted for utility and everything, dammit! :(

If I were you I'd look for an old Raleigh-type 3 speed. They were built to last, not the made in Taiwan jobs, and they have lasted for me for 30 years now.

Best wishes!