Buying new tires--looking at Vredestein

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mwy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. mwy

mwy New Member

I'm thinking of buying Vredestien tires--probably the Fortezza or Fortezza TriComp. Any opinions?

Also,Performance Bike has a Fortezza SE tire, but that name doesn't match any tire on the Vredestein website. Does anybody know which tire it really is?

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

ha! :) Some Vredesteins seem to have different names every country!

One good thing about Vredesteins is that they're usually a bit cheaper than the other top brands.

In my opinion, the TriComps and Fortezza SL (Super Light) are pretty good (although I prefer Michelins and Vittorias), and the QuattroTriComp looks very good, but the cheaper models with the thicker trear are not much chop! In fact, i think the basic Fortezzas are horrible.

3. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

I use the fortezza tri comp for racing and have had no problems, I used to use Michelin prorace, Vredestiens different but good in my opinion.
    Superlights not durable for racing, they are better for time trials or triathlons etc.
    I also have the Volante on my training wheels.

4. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

The SE is listed on their US subsite as a lower TPI casing tire then the Tricomp or SL,
    (see:
    http://www.vredesteinusa.com/road.html#f )
    but currently only in black. When Performance/Nashbar marks tires down that much they are often a couple of seasons old, hence that may explain the blue color availability. (i.e. They were selling Michelin "Axial" Carbons several years after Michelin started just calling them Carbons, and same thing with Conti Grand Prix S). Not to say that it is a problem but just be aware that they may have some age on them.

I had really bad experience with dark-green/light-green Tricomps several years back with the center tread compound hardening/cracking and frequent puncture issues, so I'll personally exhaust a lot of other options before I'll venture into Vredland again. But most other people I know seem to have good things to say about them.

5. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Ah yes, the old "what's the best tire?" debate. I think people should be aware that while all of the major brands have excellent models within them, there are models that are better for some people in some applications than others. That's why there are so many different tires to pick from.

I have yet to find a road bike tire that is "best" in all circumstances. It does not exist, and will never exist. So you have to determine which 2 or 3 or 4 aspects of a tire's design is most important for your particular use, find a model that has those qualities, and be willing to compromise somewhat on the less important qualities.

Ask yourself what do you want - Long tread wear? Best grip? Handling? Flat protection? Low rolling resistance? Comfort? Low price? Low weight? A skinny tire? A wider tire? Colors? A back rub with every pair from podium girls? (that would be nice)

For my purposes, the Vredestein Fortezza Pro (tubular), standard Tri-Comp, and standard Fortezza (not the SE, SL, or Quattro) are the best compromise.

The Good: Traction at higher pressures. Handling/Ride quality. Very good puncture resistance for reasonable weight. Decent rolling resistance. Not too expensive.

The Trade-offs: Lower tread wear. Clincher casing may bulge towards end of life. Limited colors for standard Fortezza (black only) and Pro (black or blue only). No free back rubs regardless of quantity purchased.

So you makes your choices and takes your chances.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

The SE is a lower cost Fortezza that is only sold through Performance. I bought a bunch of them for use in the early spring where I have to roll over all sorts of crap left over from winter. I think they are a decent training tire.

7. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I have the Fortezza's. Not a bad tire for training, and I like them pumped up to 145 psi. One complaint though. The label on the sidewall is peeling off and these tires don't have a ton of use in them (1,000 miles or so).

8. Wurm

Wurm New Member

The labels do rub off fairly quickly. But it makes other riders wonder what kind of tires you have. ;)

So what? At that point they're not new anymore anyway, so take your pictures earlier.

:)

9. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I have bought the SE model thru Nashbar. The Se is ART. Nr 28292. Listed inflation is 160 PSI.

The higher end model is ART. Nr. 28829. Listed inflation is 175 PSI

I trained from June thru now on the Fortezzas, the high thread count/175 PSI model from Performance. No flats. Decent wear (2200 miles on the rear when cord showed; the front is still hanging in there with over 4k on it) over our crappy roads.

10. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Nashbar is part of Performance. Performance has deals with several manufacturers for exclusive rights to sell some products. Whether those products are lower cost models made in China and simply rebranded with the manufacturers' names or lower cost models made in the same factories as the manufacturer's higher cost products, I don't know.

The Fortezza SE has worked well enough for me. I don't feel as bad when one gets cut and I have to round file it. They don't ride quite as well as some other tires I use, but for training I don't care. The only downside is that they have a smaller cross section than tires like the Conti GPs or Michelin Pro Races. That seems to be the main reason they ride a little harsher.

11. CAMPYBOB

Bro DEAL, I've heard that for some time. Do you know when Arni Nashbar sold out his interest to Performance?

The only country i can find listed on the SE box or tire is the Neatherlands (printed on the box). The same is true for the higher-end Fortezzas from Colorado Cyclist. I erred in thinking they came from Performance and I apologize for any confusion.

I'll have to try the Michelin Pro Race someday, but right now I'm pretty impressed by the durability and ride quality mix of the Fortezza. After 34 years on sew-ups, i don't find the Fortezza tires to be harsh at all. Of course, i have almost zero expirience with other brands of clinchers. I was probably writing off any change in ride to the stiffer clincher rims (same 32 spoke/3-cross/low flange as my sew-up wheels) or to the new Ti frame/carbon fork I spent most of the season on.

Regards,
    Campybob

12. Wurm

Wurm New Member

CBob, the Fortezza's are just the opposite of harsh I would say. At least the regular Fortezza's and the Tri-Comps are, I can't say for the SE's since I've not used them.

If you still have a set of sew-up wheels laying around, I'd suggest you try the Pro's too. They're not a Dugast, but still a very nice ride, great handling, and very fast.

13. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

2000 I think. Maybe as late as 2001. It was a few years before they bought Supergo, which was a crying shame. I hope Excel and Colorado don't go the same way.

As I said, I think the difference in road feel between the Fortezzas and my other tires may be due to size. I have not measured it, but looking at 23mm Fortezzas, Pro Races, and Conti GPs, the Fortezzas seem to have a smaller cross section. That alone would make a difference. I could be imagining things, though. The Contis definitely have thinner sidewalls, which is why I stopped using them. Too many sidewall failures.

14. CAMPYBOB

Wurm, no worries. I'll never give up sew-ups. I've probably got 20+ pair of tubular wheels built up and all but two of my bikes wear sew-ups.

Bro Deal, thanks!

To say I'm impressed with the Fortezzas is an understatement. Two years ago I would have never thought of spending an entire season training on clinchers.

Now, if only they could get the package-weight down to the light sew-up weights.

15. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Way beans!! :cool:

16. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

I have a few of the Fortezza SE's from Performance and really like them. I bought them as replacements for the Michelin Dynamic's that came on a wheelset I bought last year and noticed a massive improvement in road feel, grip while cornering, etc. They're not massively light (260grams), but for the money, approximately $26/tire, they're not a bad deal. I use them for training, but will be using some fancy schmancy Specialized tires for racing this year. Good all-around tire. I see no reason to not continue to purchase them, except that I also want to try other brands.