buying single crank arms?

Small Black Dog

Guest
Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that the
pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank was stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some difficulty
and got greeted with some thread-shaped shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to chase my own
threads as it were, I dont have much hope for it lasting very long.

Small Black Dog

"Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that the
> pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank
was
> stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some difficulty and got greeted with some thread-shaped
> shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to chase my own threads as it were, I dont have much
> hope for it lasting very long.

Buy a used one, i have never seen a store selling a single arm. But why bother, a complete XT
crankset costs 79dollars, cheap cheap...

Peter Dk

"Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that the
> pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank was stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some
> difficulty and got greeted with some thread-shaped shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to
> chase my own threads as it were, I dont have much hope for it lasting very long.

A helicoil, tap, & a big drill bit shouldn't cost too much. Or you could have the LBS install the
helicoil and save the cost of the tap & drill bit. Fortunately it's drive side, which has right-hand
threads. Dunno about helicoils & taps for the other side.

"Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that the
> pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank
was
> stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some difficulty and got greeted with some thread-shaped
> shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to chase my own threads as it were, I dont have much
> hope for it lasting very long.
>
> Small Black Dog

<psssst>

Duuuuuude look at the shape. You could modify the extra and make a really cool pipe.

I like you Cinder Girl! :)

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that
> > the pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank
> was
> > stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some difficulty and got greeted
with
> > some thread-shaped shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to chase
my
> > own threads as it were, I dont have much hope for it lasting very long.
> >
> > Small Black Dog
> >

> <psssst>
>
> Duuuuuude look at the shape. You could modify the extra and make a really cool pipe.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:klPa.354$x%[email protected]...
> I like you Cinder Girl! :)
>
> --
> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
>

> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that
> > > the pedal thread inside my XT drive-side
crank
> > was
> > > stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some difficulty and got greeted
> with
> > > some thread-shaped shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to
chase
> my
> > > own threads as it were, I dont have much hope for it lasting very
long.

> > > Small Black Dog
> > >

> > <psssst>
> >
> > Duuuuuude look at the shape. You could modify the extra and make a
really
> > cool pipe.

Just make sure it isn't a fancy smancy magnesium one... yowch!

Jon Bond

Small Black Dog wrote:

> Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that the
> pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank was stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some
> difficulty and got greeted with some thread-shaped shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to
> chase my own threads as it were, I dont have much hope for it lasting very long.
>
> Small Black Dog

In the future just remember: Righty tighty, lefty loosey........... No more stripped crank-arms
! Yea.....

~Travis

#include <Runyon>
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

David <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Is it possible to buy single crank arms? On a recent pedal-regreasing adventure I noticed that
> > the pedal thread inside my XT drive-side crank
was
> > stripped. I unscrewed the pedal with some difficulty and got greeted
with
> > some thread-shaped shavings :\ I re-installed the pedal having to chase
my
> > own threads as it were, I dont have much hope for it lasting very long.
>
> A helicoil, tap, & a big drill bit shouldn't cost too much. Or you could
have the LBS install
> the helicoil and save the cost of the tap & drill bit. Fortunately it's
drive side, which has
> right-hand threads. Dunno about helicoils & taps for the other side.

It's easy - for left hand threads, just put the coil in from the other side.

HTH!

Shaun aRe - Wisdom of the ancients in a young body.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:10:48 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" wrote:

>It's easy - for left hand threads, just put the coil in from the other side.

Good Day,

I am fairly new to the group, but have been reading the past two months worth of posts (fairly good
news-server). Lots of good information in this newsgroup.

I will have to say that I do not know what a "helicoil" is, so I am lost on that part......

I just want to say that I do not think that putting a right hand tap in the back side and then
cleaning the threads will produce left hand threads. Sort of like a nut on a bolt, no matter which
side you try to put it onto the bolt, it is still right hand threads. You will need a left hand
thread tap to produce the left hand threads. (I have seen engineers argue this fact, and actually
flip a nut over a dozen times before they came to the conclusion you have to have a left hand
threaded nut for a left hand threaded bolt....)

Just my $.02 worth....

Gazmuth

news:p[email protected]...

A quick websearch would clear it up. Or you could go to www.helicoil.com.

> (I have seen engineers argue this fact, and actually flip a nut over a dozen times before they
> came to the conclusion you have to have a left hand threaded nut for a left hand threaded
> bolt....)

You've seen this? Are you kidding? Shaun was.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:07:37 -0700, "David" wrote:

>> (I have seen engineers argue this fact, and actually flip a nut over a dozen times before they
>> came to the conclusion you have to have a left hand threaded nut for a left hand threaded
>> bolt....)
>
>You've seen this? Are you kidding? Shaun was.

Oh yes!!!

I work in an oil refinery, and actually watched an engineer work for about 15 minutes trying to put
a right handed nut on a left handed threaded bolt. He kept flipping it over and over, and then
actually went to the free bin and got another nut and tried it numerous times....

After not succeeding, he then actually called up a machinist who told him that you needed a left
handed tap to make it work... he would not believe the machinist, so he then called his supervisor.
That engineer is no longer working for the company....

Then I watched another engineer do pretty much the same thing after arguing that all you had to do
was flip the nut over. Needless to say, he called the warehouse, and they told him they would order
the correct nut. He was redfaced, but is still working for the company. A little wiser (but
redfaced).

In the industry I work in, you do have several applications on pumps and compressors that use left
handed bolts and nuts, and so if you are not familiar with the machinery, then you may bust a part
trying to get it off the machine.

And yes, after I spelled "helicoil" into Google, (without spelling mistakes) and after I posted, I
found what it was.... but I do appreciate your information. I should have known it was another word
for a "tap and die". (my face is red now)

Gazmuth

"Lord Gazmuth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I work in an oil refinery, and actually watched an engineer work for about 15 minutes trying to
> put a right handed nut on a left handed threaded bolt.
> Then I watched another engineer do pretty much the same thing after arguing that all you had to do
> was flip the nut over.

Thanks for the story. Do you know if those guys were PEs (registered professional engineers)?

> And yes, after I spelled "helicoil" into Google, (without spelling mistakes) and after I posted, I
> found what it was.... but I do appreciate your information. I should have known it was another
> word for a "tap and die". (my face is red now)

Since the original threads are ruined, you drill & tap the hole a little larger, and screw in a
steel coil (the Helicoil) that replaces the original threads.

David, PE

Lord Gazmuth <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:10:48 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" wrote:
>

> >It's easy - for left hand threads, just put the coil in from the other
side.

> Good Day,
>
> I am fairly new to the group, but have been reading the past two months worth of posts (fairly
> good news-server). Lots of good information in this newsgroup.
>
> I will have to say that I do not know what a "helicoil" is, so I am lost on that part......

It resembles a coiled spring, but instead of round cross section wire, it's made from square section
wire, set 'diamond' wise. For stripped threads, the hole is drilled and tapped to the size of the
helicoil, then it is 'screwed' in, and locked in place, usually by knocking the ends of the hole
thread with something like a centre-punch.

Hope that helpS!

> I just want to say that I do not think that putting a right hand tap in the back side

That would make sitting rather unconfortable..........

> and then cleaning the threads will produce left hand threads. Sort of like a nut on a bolt, no
> matter which side you try to put it onto the bolt, it is still right hand threads. You will need a
> left hand thread tap to produce the left hand threads. (I have seen engineers argue this fact, and
> actually flip a nut over a dozen times before they came to the conclusion you have to have a left
> hand threaded nut for a left hand threaded bolt....)

D'oh! That's where I've been going wrong then ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Sorry, my original comment was supposed to be blatant humour, heheheheh........ ',;~}~