buying tips

speshalk24

Dec 14, 2004
I'm new to this so could someone give me some advice on buying a mountain bike. I would be using it mostly on paved roads, but I would like to take it on trails as well. I'm looking to spend at most $300 right now. So if anyone knows a good brand at this price, new or used, I'd appreciate the help.

For this $$, go used. Find a LBS that sells used bikes or do some searching. Either way, make sure its in good shape (obviously) by riding around for more than 5 minutes. Go through all the gears, pound on it while riding, make sure it wont break. I am a sucker for a clean bike. A clean bike is usually a well cared for bike. Check all joints and components for dirt build up. If its dirty here, they just cleaned it up real quick.

speshalk24 said:
I'm new to this so could someone give me some advice on buying a mountain bike. I would be using it mostly on paved roads, but I would like to take it on trails as well. I'm looking to spend at most $300 right now. So if anyone knows a good brand at this price, new or used, I'd appreciate the help.

speshalk24 said:
I just got a Trek 4300 for $350, just over your price range. Trek makes really nice bikes and I love mine. Great for beginners like you and me.

Just a thought, but if you don't know what you want and your funds are limited try to borrow a bike from a friend. You may even try to find a good used one at a thrift store. Look for aluminum wheels and substantial componets. The cheap stuff tends to rust and bend. If you only pay $5-10 for a bike and it's not right, just keep the rims and get something else. Learn to work on it yourself. Brake pads, cables, chains and tires need to be changed regularly. Don't try to upgrade, start saving for a really nice bike. Then when you walk in to buy a good bike you can talk intelegently with the LBS. They make bikes in different sizes, so get used to measuring to see if the bike in question is the right bike for you.
Good luck

i have a trek 820 i love it 239.00
peet9471 said:
Just a thought, but if you don't know what you want and your funds are limited try to borrow a bike from a friend. You may even try to find a good used one at a thrift store. Look for aluminum wheels and substantial componets. The cheap stuff tends to rust and bend. If you only pay $5-10 for a bike and it's not right, just keep the rims and get something else. Learn to work on it yourself. Brake pads, cables, chains and tires need to be changed regularly. Don't try to upgrade, start saving for a really nice bike. Then when you walk in to buy a good bike you can talk intelegently with the LBS. They make bikes in different sizes, so get used to measuring to see if the bike in question is the right bike for you.
Good luck

i just bought a 05 specialized hardrock for 330 and its nice i like it and it seems to be built good. i say save a little more and go for it. it comes in a few different sizes and the seller should help you find the right one. i was about to buy one way to small then he showed me one my size sime price just alot bigger.