Buying used Allez

hardpenor

May 22, 2005
I'm new to the riding scene. I've been running for years and I swam in high school and just recently started doing sprint triathlons. My swim times are good and running like 730/8 minute miles. However my problem is that I've been using this old heavy mountain bike for the 16 mile ride and its killing my times. I've just been starting to look recently on craiglist hoping to find a deal on a bike from someone who is selling their bike now in prep for buying a new one next year. Well I found this one http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/4159100663.html. Its a specialized allez from 2011. He's asking 500 and it comes with an indoor training. Btw I live in cleveland and winter is approaching so the indoor trainer could be very useful. So been a very newbie in the riding and not looking to spend a ton of money, I'm looking for a decent road bike to help my biking times. Any thoughts on it? Good deal? I couldn't find how much it sold for originally, but my guess is like 700-800?

Seems like fair deal if the bike is indeed in good mechanical order. An indoor trainer makes it a good deal. He does say it's a small size. Specialized shows their "52" has a top tube length of 53.7cm, but then then the seat tube measurement he provides doesn't match: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allez-sport#geometry

If it is a 52, that size is ballpark for someone 5'4" -5'7". If that's your ballpark, best thing is to test ride it. If you have the legs, the bike itself is capable of winning an entry level race.

I can't really see much of the components on it. A-1 was the entry level alloy frame. Anything spec'd with 105 or higher usually had the E5 frame. You probably have 2300 8 speed drive components on it. The chain rings on the crank look like they're in good shape. Everything else--shifters, chain, RD/FD, is a cheap replacement if it's 2300, and Microshift is even cheaper (and many say better). The stock Axis wheels aren't very good, but as long as they're true and the spokes are OK, they'll get you started. But every entry level bike has wheels that are mediocre, at best.

Check the frame. Luckily, cracks in aluminum are usually easier to spot, than they are in carbon. Still a good idea to take someone who knows bikes fairly well with you for a look-see.

Originally Posted by mpre53
I can't really see much of the components on it. A-1 was the entry level alloy frame. Anything spec'd with 105 or higher usually had the E5 frame. You probably have 2300 8 speed drive components on it. The chain rings on the crank look like they're in good shape. Everything else--shifters, chain, RD/FD, is a cheap replacement if it's 2300, and Microshift is even cheaper (and many say better). The stock Axis wheels aren't very good, but as long as they're true and the spokes are OK, they'll get you started. But every entry level bike has wheels that are mediocre, at best.
Yup, 2x8-speed 2300. The MSRP on this rig is $770, and all warranties apply only to the original owner. Use this as a bargaining chip.

Still, it appears to be in very nice shape and he's including the SPDs and the mag trainer. See if he'll take $450 for the whole deal.

By the way, in my experience my main complaint with the cheaper wheels on Specialized bikes is that the lock nuts on the hubs work loose. Have a local shop check these before you ride too far, and learn how to keep an eye on them. Oh, and the alloy spoke nipples start to split after a few years.