Buying used, getting confused

hbaugh

Aug 15, 2011
Long story short--I want to do more road cycling to supplement ultra-distance running and need to re-aquire a bike. Despite my cycling friends insisting I buy new, I am more of a value shopper and would rather pay $1000 for something that was $3000 5 years ago versus getting what I can get new for $1000 today. My current best options are a 2002/3 Litespeed Vortex (Lotto team edition) with full Dura Ace, some of which is what came stock, and is overall in 9/10 shape. Having ridden the bike and inspecting the cassette/rings, it looks used but well kept and rides and shifts perfectly. I can get this bike for $1100. Option #2 is a 2006 Giant full carbon TCR C1 with mostly Ultegra that is in 8/10 shape and firm at $900. Option #3 is a 2008 Full Dura Ace Spec Tarmac that could be had for $1700. Have not ridden that one but let's assume it is in 9/10 shape. The wife would not appreciate the price tag of #3, but like I said I am going for value. I welcome anyone's opinion. I would like to eventually do some centuries on whatever I buy. Thanks!

The Litespeed sounds like a good deal to me as long as it is the size frame you need and you don't have to change out a lot of components to get the right fit.
Frames technology has not changed that much since 2003 and Dura Ace 7700 is a good set up with some parts still available.

One other often over looked benifit of used is. Higher resale value. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by davereo .

One other often over looked benifit of used is. Higher resale value. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Whenever I acquire something it gains 50% more value because I owned it.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

jhusky makes a good point (about the Litespeed, not his bikes appreciating) with a second good point from davereo, but I would be looking for a more recent bike. I own a bike from 2003 and it is getting more difficult to find parts that would be easy to find for a 2008 bike. Also I like the fact that Ultegra tends to last a little longer than DA with no real loss in performance, but with a few grams more in weight. Therefore, I would be more inclined to go with the Giant TCR. Your wife would probably be more appreciative too. Just make sure that you are getting a bike that fits you. Since you are not going to go to your local bike shop, you might want to use one of the online fit calculators to determine the size frame that you need.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

What you failed to mention is that prior to gaining 50% more value, it loses 100% of its value. Zero plus 50% is still zero./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Like others have said, make SURE the fit is right for you. Take it out for as long of a ride as time allows. Components are components, most of what you said sounds like its upper echelon (Ultegra +) , so no worries there. You can always upgrade components later, sell off the older components. Make sure you get the right frame/fork situation! Also, make sure you get the right saddle and shoe/pedal situation ... key... key!!!!