buying wheelset's on ebay

gravelmuncher

Aug 14, 2003
I'm talking myself into buying a set of American Classic 420's for my new Caad 9, as i've found an Aussie ebay seller handing them out for around $550.
Has anybody in the CF family got any advice for me regarding this 'bright idea'?

gm

gravelmuncher said:
I'm talking myself into buying a set of American Classic 420's for my new Caad 9, as i've found an Aussie ebay seller handing them out for around $550.
Has anybody in the CF family got any advice for me regarding this 'bright idea'?

gm
Check the seller's feedback for similar.. or the same product to see what others have said.
See what the seller's return policy and other terms are to get an indication of what you would do if...

gravelmuncher said:

gm
I did the same with some Bontragers. It's a bit of a lucky dip with ebay but I was lucky to get a good deal. Mind you I have also got crook deals but luckily the items were low cost items. If you can pickup and pay on the spot, of course thats a bonus. I only deal with sellers who use Paypal now. It gives me a bit of insureance. Also my maximum bid is never more than 2/3 new price for any new item, and 1/3 new price for any used item. They are my rules anyway and seem to work OK. Best of luck mate, let us know how you went.
Oh, and another rule. Never outbid me.

watch out for scammers, if there brand new and never riden then probably ok, but if there second hand then be very careful, iv had a bad set of wheels from ebay that were described as perfect, turned out the nipples were corroded to the spokes an i had to cut the spokes to save the wheel.

You can ask if they are bought from the official supplier or personally imported , makes a big difference if you are chasing a warranty from the local importer as most things have serial numbers & barcodes for tracking now.