BV Bikes heading west

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by SteveA, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I was given a brochure for the Albany to Perth ride on Sunday. The people giving out the brochures were talking them up and one of their big points was "you get a free bike".

    I had a look at the brochure and you get a 'straight bar tourer chosen by Bike Victoria' and you are advised, if you want further details, to go to the BV site.

    Bloody hell!! Western Australia is under attack from marauding cane toads from Queensland crossing our border in the north. Now its BV bikes!! :p

    Curiously, if I remember correctly, the bikes on offer caome with 700c wheels which I believe is somewhat of a departure from the GVBR bikes (and the 'further information' that is suggested in the Albany Perth ride brochure.)

    SteveA

    Tags:

  2. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Perth ?? :)

  3. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Yep, Perth. Looks like a deal between BTA (the WA counterpart of BV) and BV.

    SteveA

  4. bjay

    bjay Guest

    "SteveA" wrote

    > I was given a brochure for the Albany to Perth ride on Sunday.

    <snip>

    Can you give me some more info on this ride? For example, what sort of ride
    is it, who is organising it, (can you do the ride and NOT receive the free
    bike!)?

    Bjay

  5. Quokka

    Quokka Guest

    bjay wrote:
    > "SteveA" wrote
    >
    >>I was given a brochure for the Albany to Perth ride on Sunday.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Can you give me some more info on this ride? For example, what sort of ride
    > is it, who is organising it, (can you do the ride and NOT receive the free
    > bike!)?

    This is all I could find... I was looking for a cost...
    anyone know (roughly) how much it might cost to participate?

    http://www.bv.com.au/Content/Naviga...ecycle_Great_Western_Australian_Bike_Ride.htm

    Paul.

  6. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I don't have the brochure here at work with me but there is some info here: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/

    and here http://www.bv.com.au/Content/NavigationMenu/Events/Great_Western_Australian_Bike_Ride/Great_Western_Australian_Bike_Ride1.htm

    It is a 2 week cycle tour from Albany to Perth. You can do the first or second week or both weeks. It is planned for March 2006. I was given the glossy brochure at the finish of the Freeway Bike Hike on Sunday.

    SteveA

  7. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I'll check the brochure tonight and put up some more info if I can

    SteveA

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
  9. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    I *SO* knew getting the rugby was going to have dire consequences.

    till

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    The Cape Argus rides in SA get about 35,000 punters.
    http://www.southafrica.info/ess_info/sa_glance/sports/cycletour.htm

    $$$$$$

    Think about it. :rolleyes:

  11. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 at 10:13 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
    > why the heck is that site saying
    > "Welcome to visitors from South Africa." ??????
    >
    > is perth really THAT close to SA?

    We've got a couple of South Africans at work, and they all moved to
    Perth before travelling out here.

    Information wants to be beer, or something like that. --unknown

  12. Steve

    Steve Guest

    The South Africans are going to be disappointed if they expect to see koalas
    clinging to trees in WA :) ....see advertising on :
    http://www.bv.com.au/Content/Naviga..._Ride/Great_Western_Australian_Bike_Ride1.htm

    > bjay Wrote:
    >> "SteveA" wrote
    >> >
    >> > I was given a brochure for the Albany to Perth ride on Sunday.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Can you give me some more info on this ride? For example, what sort of
    >> ride
    >> is it, who is organising it, (can you do the ride and NOT receive the
    >> free
    >> bike!)?
    >>
    >> Bjay

    > I don't have the brochure here at work with me but there is some info
    > here: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/
    >
    > and here http://tinyurl.com/4n9jg
    >
    > It is a 2 week cycle tour from Albany to Perth. You can do the first
    > or second week or both weeks. It is planned for March 2006. I was
    > given the glossy brochure at the finish of the Freeway Bike Hike on
    > Sunday.
    >
    > SteveA
    >

    > --
    > SteveA

  13. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    It's the Bike Victoria site advertising a Western Australian ride by referring to something that happens in South Africa. Who's confused?

    SteveA

  14. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I've looked through the brochure I was given and can't find a price.

    Other info in the brochure:
    route - Albany to Perth via Denmark, Walpole, Shannon River, Manjimup, Nannup, Augusta, Margaret River, Busselton, Bunbury, and Pinjarra
    average per day - 75 km
    maximum day - 100 km
    total distance - 827 km
    rest days - Manjimup (day 5), Margaret River (days 9 & 10, incl concert at Leeuwin Estate)
    provided - all meals except lunch on rest days, vegetarian meal options, luggage transport, maps & guides, sag wagon
    accomodation - tents provided by participants
    camp facilities - toilets, showers, daily ride newsletter, unlimited tea & coffee, movies, live music/entertainment, masseurs, medical & first aid, licensed cafe, local vendors (eg espresso, pizza, ice cream), overnight camp security
    camping areas - choice of quiet, family or general areas.

    The brochure has logos of the WA Government, Main Roads WA, Western Australia.com on it but it appears to be a Bike Victoria brochure. All the contacts are BV and booking the trip is through BV. A phone call to BV would probably be the easiest way to get a copy of the brochure if you wanted one.

    Given that this seems to be the WA version of the Great Vic Bike Ride run by the same people, the same cost per day could be the best approximation available at present - any Melburnians know the cost per day of the GVBR?

    SteveA

  15. SteveA wrote:

    > Given that this seems to be the WA version of the Great Vic Bike Ride
    > run by the same people, the same cost per day could be the best
    > approximation available at present

    Not if you have to truck/shift equipment, vehicles and people back and
    forth across the Nullabor.

  16. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Any logos or mention of WA's Bicycle Transportation Alliance?
    http://www.multiline.com.au/~bta/

    It's all about selling a product, rather than networking with existing state and national cycling organisations. Already been done in South Australia, Tasmania, NSW and New Zealand.

  17. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > why the heck is that site saying
    > "Welcome to visitors from South Africa." ??????
    >
    > is perth really THAT close to SA?

    Probably closer to Jo-berg than any other city the size of Perth. Would take
    an hour longer to fly there than to Sydney. Bali (Denpasar) is closer to
    Perth than Sydney. By road, Perth is further from Darwin than any other
    mainland capital.

    Yeah, in Perth, we're sorta out there.

    Theo

  18. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    For the moment, for the purposes of making a 'best guess' estimate of price, I have assumed that almost all equipment, vehicles and people will be 'locally engaged', with very little coming from Vic. Then add 10%, if you like, to account for different costs in WA and possibly a small number of officials and bits of equipment coming from Vic.

    I did say 'best approximation at present'. Contacting BV might give a better idea, or they might not yet have struck the price (likely as it is not on the BV website as far as I could tell) :) .

    Any other suggestions for guestimating the price with or without Nullarbor effect would be welcome. (Terry?)

    cheers
    SteveA

  19. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    The cover page (3 x A4 gatefold glossy brochure) indicates that Main Roads WA is the sponsor. The rest, however, clearly has a BV 'flavour'. BTA gets a logo on the back page at the bottom next to the contact details (all BV contacts). BTA also gets a mention inside the brochure "The Bicycle Transportation Alliance and Bicycle Victoria invite you to join the Main Roads Great Western Australian Bike Ride".

    I just noticed that 'Main Roads Great Western Australian Bike Ride' is shown as being trade marked. I wonder who owns the trademark? IP Australia does not show it as registered yet on its database. Hmmm.

    SteveA

  20. SteveA wrote:

    > For the moment, for the purposes of making a 'best guess' estimate of
    > price, I have assumed that almost all equipment, vehicles and people
    > will be 'locally engaged', with very little coming from Vic.

    Perhaps someone who has been involved in the recent BV GVBR can cast
    light there.

    I've just looked at Yellow Pages for Perth and there are 204 party hire
    places and 35 catering hire places, compared to 342 & 62 in Sydney. So,
    my guess is that it is feasible to hire locally if someone knows what to
    look for. The last bit is rather important.

    Otherwise, it is really just a return container trip to and from Perth.
    You might fly only a handful of key, experienced people.

    > Any other suggestions for guestimating the price with or without
    > Nullarbor effect would be welcome. (Terry?)

    Foodwise, I am probably a bit out of date. My best guess 16 years ago
    was 150% of what I paid in my area of Sydney (very economical). If I was
    going to budget these days, I would get the sister-in-law to send me a
    months worth of food and grocery shopping dockets.

    A comparison of Perth Vs Sydney Markets will cover the bulk of your
    food, but that is really only 20% of your food cost. A similar job on
    meat would give your another 30% of your food cost. I guess bread and
    milk are similar.

    Whereas for the rest, I shopped in the local supermarket (up to 50
    people), their catering would be bulk purchased from suppliers and that
    isn't neccessarily easy to estimate. It is the fiddly stuff like
    condiments, jams, spices, herbs, etc that make up 50% of your food
    costs.

    Woops, I've been saying Sydney, it should be Perth Vs Melbourne
    comparisons.

    Also, I suspect you will have less numbers for WA, so overheads will be
    higher.

    Perhaps 25% extra and hope you are pleasantly surprised.

    Does anyone know if Perth-Sydney return airfares are still cheaper than
    Sydney-Perth return airfares atm?