BV free bikes,,,

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by David M, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. David M

    David M Guest

    Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
    access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
    by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
    kinda looked OK over the net...

    My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
    panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
    tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
    shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
    horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
    for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
    bike is any good.

    Cheers
    David M

    Tags:

  2. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "David M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
    > access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
    > by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
    > kinda looked OK over the net...
    >
    > My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
    > panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
    > tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
    > shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
    > horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
    > for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
    > bike is any good.
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    I suspect the phrase "get what you pay for" applies here. They look better
    than last year's effort but I doubt that they've put particularly good gear
    on it. Buy an old road bike with Shimano 600 gear on it off Ebay and modify
    the bars to bullhorns to make the riding position more upright.

  3. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    David M wrote:

    > Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
    > access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
    > by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
    > kinda looked OK over the net...
    >
    > My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
    > panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
    > tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
    > shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
    > horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
    > for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
    > bike is any good.
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    I talked to the guy at Phantom about this the other week cos I thought
    that they were better than their press.. the original ones anyway. He
    said that in his opinion they were just a few dollers off being a good
    bike. Absolutely not kmart crap. Remember Phantom did the support for
    the GVBR

    The rear derailier was garbage and for about 10 bucks more would have
    been fine. He mentioned a couple of other things. He felt that crap
    gearshifting soured many on the bikes. And that the ones that still
    exist had long been sorted.

    So I am fairly sure that the new ones will have these things sorted on
    em. If someone gave me one I wouldnt toss it. It would be my ride
    somewhere where the bike might get nicked bike.

    Dave

  4. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "Kathy" who may or may not be a David wrote in message ...

    > I talked to the guy at Phantom about this the other week cos I thought
    > that they were better than their press.. the original ones anyway.

    Shirley you mean The Pegasus Crew?

  5. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    Parbs wrote:
    > "Kathy" who may or may not be a David wrote in message ...
    >
    >>I talked to the guy at Phantom about this the other week cos I thought
    >>that they were better than their press.. the original ones anyway.

    > Shirley you mean The Pegasus Crew?

    In fact I do. Sorry Verbal dyslexia

    Dave

  6. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Excuse the ignorance but did someone say free bike :eek:
    whats the story there then.

  7. peterlip

    peterlip New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    When they say free, they mean it's part of the entry fee to the Great Victorian Bike Ride. Last year was the first time Bicycle Victoria tried it and they're doing it again this year. They're also doing it in WA.
    I got one of these from my brother-in-law who did the GVBR last year (he's got a decent bike, so didn't need it).
    I must admit, it is pretty crappy, but it served its purpose. After 20 years off the saddle, this was my re-introduction to riding. It served me well for 6 months, and 1000 km, which was enough to convince me that riding was not a passing phase, and I bought a road bike.
    I still use it to pop down to the local shops when I can't be bothered with changing shoes for the roadie.

  8. Anne

    Anne Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "David M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
    > > access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
    > > by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
    > > kinda looked OK over the net...
    > >
    > > My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
    > > panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
    > > tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
    > > shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
    > > horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
    > > for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
    > > bike is any good.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > David M

    I suspect the phrase "what go's around comes around is true"
    http://cyclebetter.com/forums/96/ShowPost.aspx#96

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
  10. David M

    David M Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Anne Wrote:
    > > I suspect the phrase "what go's around comes around is true"
    > > http://cyclebetter.com/forums/96/ShowPost.aspx#96

    > i suspect the phrase "feck off troll" applies

    hmmm...."please explain"...was there something in that link that I
    needed to see?

    Cheers
    David M

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    no. just the little twat in california pickin on Marty again

  12. David M

    David M Guest

    David M wrote:
    > Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
    > access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
    > by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
    > kinda looked OK over the net...

    OK, had a look at one today. My precis was that the wheels and tyres
    looked OK though the lack of a rear QR hub has thwarted my plans to tow
    a BOB trailer with it. The gears were all crap, the brakes are Tektro
    V brakes whick look basic but OK. Headset, stem, bars likewise. Colours
    are god-aweful, has pannier mountsb etc, but the big bonus is
    HORIZONTAL DROPOUTS! Another good reason to change the rear hub...to a
    flip-flop track hub!

    $1000 well spent :)

    Cheers
    David M

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    My god. BV are going 'fixed' !!!

    That's it. fixies just 'jumped the shark!' :rolleyes:

  14. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    The Fonz is putting on the leather jacket, waxing the ski's, sharks been let out, ol' Mercury outboard being revved up now.... :D

  15. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    David M wrote:
    > V brakes whick look basic but OK. Headset, stem, bars likewise. Colours
    > are god-aweful, has pannier mountsb etc, but the big bonus is
    > HORIZONTAL DROPOUTS! Another good reason to change the rear hub...to a
    > flip-flop track hub!
    >
    > $1000 well spent :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    Coooool, I can see an ebay purchase soon after the GVBR just for the frame.

    DaveB

  16. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-10-19, DaveB (aka Bruce)
    > David M wrote:
    >> V brakes whick look basic but OK. Headset, stem, bars likewise. Colours
    >> are god-aweful, has pannier mountsb etc, but the big bonus is
    >> HORIZONTAL DROPOUTS! Another good reason to change the rear hub...to a
    >> flip-flop track hub!
    >>
    >> $1000 well spent :)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> David M
    >>

    > Coooool, I can see an ebay purchase soon after the GVBR just for the frame.

    One potential problem. The frame probably weighs 5kg.

    Good for downhill fixing!

    --
    TimC
    I hate mornings. I know they hate me back, too. -- Joel Gluth

  17. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > One potential problem. The frame probably weighs 5kg.
    >
    > Good for downhill fixing!

    Can't be any heavier than the steel frame MTB I commute on. I think that
    weighs in at around 20kg all up (plus panniers and crap).

    DaveB

  18. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    20kg all up + panniers and crap? or is that including panniers and crap.

    Now that's a heavy bike alright...

    Ritch

  19. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    ritcho wrote:
    > DaveB Wrote:
    >
    >>TimC wrote:
    >>
    >>>One potential problem. The frame probably weighs 5kg.
    >>>
    >>>Good for downhill fixing!
    >>>

    >>Can't be any heavier than the steel frame MTB I commute on. I think
    >>that
    >>weighs in at around 20kg all up (plus panniers and crap).
    >>
    >>DaveB

    > 20kg all up + panniers and crap? or is that including panniers and
    > crap.
    >
    > Now that's a heavy bike alright...
    >
    > Ritch

    Nope that's excluding panniers and crap. I think it might be 19kg
    (tested on the bathroom scales), plus panniers with laptop, a manual or
    two plus clothes, plus me at around 80kg amkes for some hard work on the
    hills of my commute (but some good speed downhill). Going from that to
    the alu SS is a real shock.

    DaveB

  20. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    You can get (or at least a while ago you could) special nuts to use a Bob trailer with such a hub. I think they were called Bob Nutz.