http://www.bv.com.au/download/COC.pdf
Is this guide written by car drivers or bicyclists? I suspect the former.
The picture under "rule" number 10 shows a clear non-understanding of the
tendency certain people have to slam their doors open. BV's implicit
recommendation [by hosting the guide on their web site] to ride _within_
that door-slamming distance is _dangerous_.
I have personally come very close to being taken out on several occasions,
have witnessed the guy behind me not quite making it [sprawled on the
bitumen, bleeding, front wheel a perfect figure eight]. And consequently, I
now refuse to go within one metre of parked cars, seeing as that I can't
visually check every single car ahead at the same time as keeping an eye on
my mirror to see if those guys behind aren't going to hit me out of general
boredom.
Shame on BV for recommending that you risk your personal safety just so that
cars can get past a little bit easier.
Posted to aus.bicycle and bicyclevic at bv dot com dot au .