By way of an introduction.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Phil Cave, May 7, 2003.

  1. Phil Cave

    Phil Cave Guest

    Hi all,

    I have been a lurker for a few days now, since the time that I unsubscribed from uk.rec.motorcycles.

    Three years ago I went through a nasty divorce, increased my weight to over 20 stone, collected a
    wallet full of credit cards and bought a 180 mph motorcycle.

    I assumed that the motorcycle would be my insurance against ever having to pay for the credit cards.
    Happily I was wrong :eek:)

    Could somebody give me £20k? No, I thought not..... But seriously....

    about 18 months ago I decided that enough was enough. I stopped smoking 60 fags a day and have not
    touched one since may 5th last year. I no longer drink 2 bottles of wine and half bottle of spirits
    a day, and this is the best bit, I have lost 5 stone.

    There is another better bit. I am getting married to a wonderful lady in 30 days :eek:)

    Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to the gym, however this is
    boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a mountain bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a
    time on this I find this mind numbing.

    I am now going to purchase a road bike in the hope that I can get further afield with a little less
    effort, but I am loath to continue doing this on my lonesome.

    Are there any clubs local to Aylesbury that would be suitable for an unfit fat bloke like me?

    --
    Regards, Phil Cave

    Smile Maker, Enthusiast and Pure Genius BOTAFOT #64

    Tags:

  2. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Are there any clubs local to Aylesbury that would be suitable for an unfit fat bloke like me?

    Don't know but I like your sig.

    --
    T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

  3. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Phil Cave wrote:

    > Are there any clubs local to Aylesbury that would be suitable for an unfit fat bloke like me?

    There are bound to be. Several clubs ride in the Chilterns - it is a very popular area. I'm
    afraid I cant remember any of their names! Theres probably a list of clubs somewhere. Try your
    local CTC section (London West?) you could join that or go on a run with them and talk to people
    about local clubs.

    Not much help I know!

    :)

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  4. Simon Proven

    Simon Proven Guest

  5. > I stopped smoking 60 fags a day and have not touched one since may 5th last year. I no longer
    > drink 2 bottles of wine and half bottle of spirits a day, and this is the best bit, I have lost
    > 5 stone.

    Well done you - good going.

    >There is another better bit. I am getting married to a wonderful lady in 30 days :eek:)

    Congratulations :)

    >Are there any clubs local to Aylesbury that would be suitable for an unfit fat bloke like me?

    Give the CTC a call on 0870 873 0060 and ask about groups local to you. Joining the CTC is cheap &
    you get insurance cover too.

    Also see British Cycling - Aylesbury is in... hmm... Central region. For clubs see
    http://www.bcf.uk.com/clubsasp/central.asp

    For time trial clubs see http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/pages/clublinks.html

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Phil Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to the gym, however this is
    > boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a mountain bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a
    > time on this I find this mind numbing.

    Try taking a walkman, MD or MP3 player with you. If you were a biker then you will be able to cope
    in traffic with a slightly reduced level of hearing. When I had a bike, with the helmet on and a
    short pipe, I couldn't hear anything anyway. I find I can clock up hours of cycling with a varied
    selection of stuff to listen too and not get bored.

    At the moment I'm listening to some old Talk Radio shows that last over 4 hours downloaded from
    www.clarkey.net. The brilliant thing is that the ride and the soundtrack become linked together, so
    that when I listen to the same show again at night in bed, I get the ride visually replayed in my
    head, even with some smells. Very relaxing, especially if the ride was a summer one to the coast
    and you listen again in midwinter.

    Simon

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Phil Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    Hi Phil ;-)

    <snip>

    > Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to the gym, however this is
    > boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a mountain bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a
    > time on this I find this mind numbing.

    Don't scrap the MTB. If you can, find somewhere with a bit of downhill singletrack. It's a good
    allover workout, more so than road riding and the adrenalin rushes ensure yo mind don't go numb !! I
    do both and enjoy both immensely

    > I am now going to purchase a road bike in the hope that I can get further afield with a little
    > less effort, but I am loath to continue doing this on my lonesome.
    >
    > Are there any clubs local to Aylesbury that would be suitable for an unfit fat bloke like me?
    >

    > --
    > Regards, Phil Cave
    >
    > Smile Maker, Enthusiast and Pure Genius BOTAFOT #64

    Cheers, Dave...

  8. Phil Cave

    Phil Cave Guest

    Thanks for all the advice. I'll take most of it, especially the listening to music whilst cycling.

    I'm off to buy an MP3 player this weekend, and a new road bike.

    I think i'll stick the MTB in the back of the Volvo and take it to Epping forest for some fun.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Regards, Phil Cave

    Smile Maker, Enthusiast and Pure Genius BOTAFOT #64

  9. Clubs do vary, from quite slow to practice-for-racers. Try asking at a bike shop. They probably know
    what clubs are around, and their characteristics. Bigger clubs will likely have different kinds of
    rides, and a grading system.

    Rides tend to be broken up by stops for elevenses/lunch/tea etc. which gives you time to recover
    between sections. Although you might do quite a long distance overall, there might well be no
    section longer than 15 miles. In between sections, apart from eating/drinking, you will be sitting
    round socializing, and have a chance to ask questions, although don't expect everybody to agree on
    what the correct answer is.

    good luck

    Jeremy Parker

  10. Phil Cave wrote:

    > I think i'll stick the MTB in the back of the Volvo and take it to Epping forest for some fun.

    I don't know if it's still possible, but way back in the mists of pre-history, they used to do MTB
    events near Wendover, which might be a bit more convenient...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  11. Wideboythin

    Wideboythin Guest

    > I'm off to buy an MP3 player this weekend, and a new road bike.
    I'd recommend the higher-end sony net walkmans; very light, long (internal rechargeable) battery
    life, and super slick. :)

    Let us know what happens with the road bike purchase!

    > I think i'll stick the MTB in the back of the Volvo and take it to Epping forest for some fun.

    Oh, such fond memories of belting around Epping Forest (having cycled across London to get
    there...), climbing the hill to High Beech and letting rip on the way down. Makes me feel guilty the
    poor old Kona MTB is now used for supermarket trips in the flat lands of Cambridgeshire.

    Have fun!

    WBT

  12. "Phil Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been a lurker for a few days now, since the time that I
    unsubscribed
    > from uk.rec.motorcycles.
    >
    > about 18 months ago I decided that enough was enough. I stopped smoking 60 fags a day and have not
    > touched one since may 5th last year. I no longer drink 2 bottles of wine and half bottle of
    > spirits a day, and this is the best bit, I have lost 5 stone.

    Well done Phil.....you've beaten a whole bunch of demons there!

    > There is another better bit. I am getting married to a wonderful lady in
    30
    > days :eek:)

    Even more congratulations.....can you get her to cycle with you?

    > Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to the gym, however this is
    > boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a mountain bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a
    > time on this I find this mind numbing.

    hmmm, agree with you there....I use an MP3 player (low volume, only in one ear). I suppose this does
    reduce my awareness of traffic, but acceptably I think given I cycle on quiet roads

    try working harder....the more excruiating the pain, the less I think about how boring it is!! Or
    maybe cycle with a goal in mind (like to a picnic site for lunch, or to a zoo - how far is Woburn
    from you....cycling through the lion pen should be quite amusing!!)

    Probably not much help....but hope you and the new Mrs Phil are extraordinarily happy
    together....congrats once again on your achievements in the last 18 months.

  13. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > "Phil Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to
    the
    > > gym, however this is boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a
    mountain
    > > bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a time on this I find this
    mind
    > > numbing.
    >
    > Try taking a walkman, MD or MP3 player with you. If you were a biker then you will be able to
    > cope in traffic with a slightly reduced level of hearing. When I had a bike, with the helmet on
    > and a short pipe, I couldn't hear anything anyway. I find I can clock up hours of cycling with a
    > varied selection of stuff to listen too and not get bored.
    >
    > At the moment I'm listening to some old Talk Radio shows that last over 4 hours downloaded from
    > www.clarkey.net. The brilliant thing is that the ride and the soundtrack become linked together,
    > so that when I listen to the same show again at night in bed, I get the ride visually replayed in
    > my head, even with some smells. Very relaxing, especially if the ride was a summer one to the
    > coast and you listen again in midwinter.
    >
    > Simon

    Is smoking a pipe on a motorbike an offence?

  14. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > Phil Cave wrote:
    >
    > > I think i'll stick the MTB in the back of the Volvo and take it to Epping forest for some fun.
    >
    > I don't know if it's still possible, but way back in the mists of pre-history, they used to do MTB
    > events near Wendover, which might be a
    bit
    > more convenient...
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    The Wendover Downhill Bash. Invented by Mr Geoff Apps I believe.

  15. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Phil Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to
    the
    > > gym, however this is boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a
    mountain
    > > bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a time on this I find this
    mind
    > > numbing.
    >
    > Try taking a walkman, MD or MP3 player with you.

    Personally would not recommend this but the choice is yours.

    --
    Mark

  16. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > Is smoking a pipe on a motorbike an offence?

    Probably not but I wouldn't vouch for the efficiency of the ash tray.

    --
    Mark

  17. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > Now that I am only 15st and 4Lb I don't feel too embarrassed to go to the gym, however this is
    > boring. I sold the motor cycle and brought a mountain bike, but although I do about 15 miles at a
    > time on this I find this mind numbing.
    >
    > I am now going to purchase a road bike in the hope that I can get further afield with a little
    > less effort, but I am loath to continue doing this on my lonesome.

    Pleased to see so much good stuff going on. But, mind numbing? I find ripping round the muck and
    bullets off road stuff far more interesting than tarmac. I know it's horses for courses but do have
    a go at some gnarly off road stuff. Sorry to say I can't give you any information about your area
    but you must be able to access some decent off road going - experts in this group will advise.

    30 days to the wedding. This will give you about another 60 days to get ready before the Bash. This
    is a 4 day mountain bike event in Mid-Wales taking place in and around Llanwrtyd Wells over the
    first weekend of August. Try it once and be hooked.

    All the best for the big day.

    John

  18. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Try taking a walkman, MD or MP3 player with you.
    >
    > Personally would not recommend this but the choice is yours.

    If I didn't have a radio, I would not cycle at all, except to the shops and back, so the very small
    safety risk, which is debatable, unless it's so loud you can't talk to anyone, is more than offset
    by the health benefits of me covering c. 5000 miles per year. To me it's like doing hours of
    aerobics with no music - boring and no motivation.

  19. Blagger

    Blagger Guest

    >If I didn't have a radio, I would not cycle at all, except to the shops and back, so the very small
    >safety risk, which is debatable, unless it's so loud you can't talk to anyone, is more than offset
    >by the health benefits of me covering c. 5000 miles per year. To me it's like doing hours of
    >aerobics with no music - boring and no motivation.

    Don't you find that, after an hour or so, the rhythm of the ride and the landscape gliding past
    stops one thinking too hard? That's why I love cycling on my own. No distractions, no one else
    cycling too fast or too slow, just the countryside and the fresh air.

    (Sounds idyllic. Think I'll get my bike out this afternoon..)

    B.

  20. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "blagger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >If I didn't have a radio, I would not cycle at all, except to the shops
    and
    > >back, so the very small safety risk, which is debatable, unless it's so
    loud
    > >you can't talk to anyone, is more than offset by the health benefits of
    me
    > >covering c. 5000 miles per year. To me it's like doing hours of aerobics with no music - boring
    > >and no motivation.
    >
    > Don't you find that, after an hour or so, the rhythm of the ride and the landscape gliding past
    > stops one thinking too hard? That's why I love cycling on my own. No distractions, no one else
    > cycling too fast or too slow, just the countryside and the fresh air.

    Most of my cycling is commuting 24 miles along the same route , so the same landscape tends to pall
    after a while.