Bye Bye Bike

I'll bet you a buck that your insurance company will pay for your bike the first time you forget to take it off the roof and maybe the second time. But I'll bet they'll raise your premium or drop you all together. Whereas, every idiot that rear-ends you will be at fault and their insurance should reimburse you. If they don't have insurance your company will cover you and it shouldn't count against your record. Good luck!

Scott

Well here's the deal. The damage can be covered. 2 claims. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to make a claim on the bike. I've got 6 months according to my agent. What I think I'm going to do is just look for a new/used frame/fork combo for around what my deductable is ($500). I think that would be a better bet in the long run.

Here's a serious question. The rubber hoods on my D/A shifters got scuffed up pretty badly. Can you order replacements for just those?

Anybody got a decent 54cm frame/fork laying around they want to let go kinda cheap? :D

L

rschleicher said:
I've been rear-ended three times. Once years ago when I'm sitting at a red light in my old Triumph. It's snowing out, and slippery, and I see car headlights coming up on me too fast. So I try to go through the red to get out of the way. I had time to get moving a bit, but the car hits me anyway - hard enough to push my flimsy bumper in a couple of inches. I get out of the car, and see that it's a cop that hit me! (I'm thinking to myself - Oh boy! Somehow this is going to be my fault!). I went easy on the city by just having my bumper straightened (those old Triumph bumpers bend pretty easy), albeit not perfectly, instead of holding out for a full replacement bumper.

Second and third times I'm in my Ford Expedition, just sitting at a stop light, when cars behind me can't stop in time and smack into me. But in both cases the score was Expedition 2, other cars 0. (Both other cars had non-trivial front-end damage, Expedition rear bumper was not even blemished.) A bike on the back would have been toast, though.
Never drive a Pinto.

wilmar13 said:
I think it is an image thing . . . .

You're right. I have a bike rack is on top of my Jeep (for image :rolleyes: ) . . . but I usually carry the bike inside the Jeep (because it's safer). :D

I've had both roof top and rear racks. I've driven hundreds of miles with both setups (North Carolina to Kansas and back several times). The bikes have always arrived in better condition when they were carried on a rooftop rack.

WRT roof mounted bike racks... Sunroof is your friend.

With a sunroof, you'll always be able to see your bike and be reminded of its presence.