Bye Bye BMX...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    After 14(ish) years with my Speedwell BMX I decided to part with it. It has been sitting in my
    garage and I really didn't ride it any more due to its small size. I decided to give it away to the
    special school where my Mum has worked. If they don't use it, they can sell it at a garage sale to
    raise money for the kids at the school. Now, we are talking about a $150 bike >10 years ago. This
    thing would probably sell for $20 at a garage sale, but it was worth a great deal more to me.. I
    loved that chrome beast! I never let anyone else touch it and rode everywhere on it when I was a
    kid, until I got a racer. But even with the racer I still used the bmx heaps - racers are crap for
    off-road riding :) I didn't want to sell it so I asked Mum if the school could use it, she said
    "yep" so I sent it up. This post is just to say...

    "Bye Bye BMX"

    I would like to call for 1 minute silence to for us all to remember our precious childhood bikes or
    rides that have fallen in the line of duty.

    hippy
    - At least the scars will never leave me :)

    Tags:

  2. Dj

    Dj Guest

    Gee Hippy...you sure are a sentimental dude!! hehehe

    > After 14(ish) years with my Speedwell BMX I decided to part with it. It has been sitting in my
    > garage and I really didn't ride it any more due to its small size. I decided to give it away to
    > the special school where my Mum has worked. If they don't use it, they can sell it at a garage
    > sale to raise money for the kids at the school. Now, we are talking about a $150 bike >10 years
    > ago. This thing would probably sell for $20 at a garage sale, but it was worth a great deal more
    > to me.. I loved that chrome beast! I never let anyone else touch it and rode everywhere on it when
    > I was a kid, until I got a racer. But even with the racer I still used the bmx heaps - racers are
    > crap for off-road riding :) I didn't want to sell it so I asked Mum if the school could use it,
    > she said "yep" so I sent it up. This post is just to say...
    >
    > "Bye Bye BMX"
    >
    > I would like to call for 1 minute silence to for us all to remember our precious childhood bikes
    > or rides that have fallen in the line of duty.
    >
    > hippy
    > - At least the scars will never leave me :)

  3. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > After 14(ish) years with my Speedwell BMX I decided to part with it. It has been sitting in my
    > garage and I really didn't ride it any more due to its small size. I decided to give it away to
    > the special school where my Mum has worked. If they don't use it, they can sell it at a garage
    > sale to raise money for the kids at the school. Now, we are talking about a $150 bike >10 years
    > ago. This thing would probably sell for $20 at a garage sale, but it was worth a great deal more
    > to me.. I loved that chrome beast! I never let anyone else touch it and rode everywhere on it when
    > I was a kid, until I got a racer. But even with the racer I still used the bmx heaps - racers are
    > crap for off-road riding :) I didn't want to sell it so I asked Mum if the school could use it,
    > she said "yep" so I sent it up. This post is just to say...
    >
    > "Bye Bye BMX"
    >
    > I would like to call for 1 minute silence to for us all to remember our precious childhood bikes
    > or rides that have fallen in the line of duty.

    My favourite bike of childhood was my full suspension moto-cross style bike
    (c1983).

    I saved up my half of the $120 for about 8 months (my parents paid the other half). I rode it for a
    long time, and did not tire of it until I grew out of it, and got a 10 spd racer.

    I even got $50 for it in 1989!

    Goodbye to all my old bikes and non-motorised vehicles:

    1. Yellow pedal car (1975)
    2. Red cruiser (1976)
    3. Yellow cyclops dragster (1978)
    4. Black motocross style full suspension (1983)
    5. Red 10 spd roadmaster racer (1987)
    6. White peuget (sp?) 12 spd (stolen) (1990)
    7. White peuget (sp?) 12 spd (1991)
    8. Purple Kojima 14 spd (1996)
    9. White Wheeler 14 spd (1997)
    10. Black Giant 24 spd MTB (2003)

    Tim

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Incorrect answer, wrong approach. NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING. Especially old bike stuff. Might come in handy one day.
    I've built up a old BMX partially in homage to Nicole Kidman, a hero from my teenage years. We're got so much in common, same colouring, hair, age etc, except she's two foot taller.

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Incorrect answer, wrong approach. NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING.

    Nah, I'd been hanging onto this bike for YEARS as it was. I finally "built a bridge and got over
    it" and wanted it to be useful to someone who might appreciate it rather than have it die a slow
    death in my garage. Euthanasia(sp?) without the actual death bit. :) It would have wanted it this
    way... ;-) As far as old stuff coming in handy - I can always find that in garage sales, bike shop
    bins, etc.

    > Especially old bike stuff. Might come in handy one day. I've built up
    a old BMX
    > partially in homage to Nicole Kidman, a hero from my teenage years. We're got so much in common,
    > same colouring, hair, age etc, except
    she's
    > two foot taller.

    Hey, do you know where I can get a copy of BMX Bandits?!? Does anyone know if it has been released
    on DVD? I've been trying to find it for aaaaaaages!

    hippy "No, I can't remember a damn thing about it!"

  6. cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hippy wrote:
    > > "Bye Bye BMX" I would like to call for 1 minute silence to for us all
    > > remember our precious childhood bikes or rides that have fallen in the line of duty.
    >
    > Incorrect answer, wrong approach. NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING. Especially old bike stuff. Might
    > come in handy one day. I've built up a old BMX partially in homage to Nicole Kidman, a hero from
    > my teenage years. We're got so much in common, same colouring, hair, age etc, except she's two
    > foot taller.

    I watched BMX Bandits again a few months back, and WHOAAAH, it's the corniest of all!!!!

    > --
    > life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

    Spending it escaping reality seems to be a popular pastime.
    ---
    DFM

  7. Ben Elliston

    Ben Elliston Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hey, do you know where I can get a copy of BMX Bandits?!? Does anyone know if it has been released
    > on DVD? I've been trying to find it for aaaaaaages!

    I bought a classic BMX book off eBay a couple of years ago called "BMX Down Under". It even has
    pictures of Stu Thompson at the Liverpool Raceway in the early 80s!

    Ben