Bye Topanga

T

TNA

My '96 Diamondback Topanga MTB is dead, snapped clean through the frame on the bottom RHS behind the
crank, right where the mount for the mudguard intersects. I noticed that the chain was meshing
poorly and on inspection realised that it was no longer aligned with the cluster. The bike is still
in one piece as the lhs is still holding but it must been stressed from when the rhs let go.

I'm guessing that the frame can't be repaired or exchanged cheaply and I've found that I can replace
the whole bike new for just $290 and end up with a much better ride.

So next bike, I've thought about it and decided that I'm happy with a MTB as I do a few fire trails,
but I want to keep the weight down as 80% is still on the tar. I want decent brakes, really decent
brakes. The topanga had terrible brakes that pulled up in order to close around the wheel and
although it added to the excitement I just want brakes that work now.

It's going to be a hardtail, disk braked for under $1000 and scooting around I've picked out these
to look at.

GIANT Yukon $689 HARO V3 04 $699 Avanti Ridge Rider $799 Trek 04 4300 Disc - $849 Specialized
Hardrock Sport Disc $849 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 04 - $999

Anymore that I should consider?

Any advice as to what to do with the topanga?

Thanks!

<TNA> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My '96 Diamondback Topanga MTB is dead, snapped clean through the
frame on
> the bottom RHS behind the crank, right where the mount for the
mudguard
>
> I'm guessing that the frame can't be repaired or exchanged cheaply and
I've
> found that I can replace the whole bike new for just $290 and end up
with a
> much better ride.

Jon Weaving from http://www.gripsport.com.au/html/frame.html can repair almost anything. You could
ask him about repair costs.

hippy

•In article <[email protected]>, <TNA> wrote:

> It's going to be a hardtail, disk braked for under $1000 and scooting around I've picked out these
> to look at.
>
> GIANT Yukon $689 HARO V3 04 $699 Avanti Ridge Rider $799

I've never ridden one but I've heard a lot of praise for the Avanti Ridge Rider as an
entry level MTB

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |