C-Dale

This is the sort of thing that happens when the CEO of a company doesn't have sufficent controls put
on him. The motorcycle division was a boondoggle from the start. By the time they started talking
about building motorcycles the slowest nitwit on the ranch could have told them that the days of
dirt bikes were gone.

Where were the stockholders when the company started talking about motorcycles? Consider -
Cannondale didn't just make good bicycles, they made excellent bicycle clothes, bicycle accessories
and components. Yet when was the last time you saw a new shipment of those seatpacks with the cleat
on them? When was the last time you could find some Cannondale tights?

Here was a company that had a controlling position in the industry and lost their focus.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_displ ay.j
> sp?vnu_content_id=1804453
>
> I can not believe they ****** the company down the motorcycle hole
trying to be
> Honda. Bill C.

>From: "Tom Kunich"

>This is the sort of thing that happens when the CEO of a company doesn't have sufficent controls
>put on him. The motorcycle division was a boondoggle from the start. By the time they started
>talking about building motorcycles the slowest nitwit on the ranch could have told them that the
>days of dirt bikes were gone.

I don't think it was that the days of dirt bikes are gone that did them in. I think it was the "new"
Honda CR all aluminum frame. I think the new frame is about 5 or 6 years old. well within C-Dale's
startup. I think they thought that thier aluminium expertise would carry the bike. Bad call. M/C
world is way too competitive. Waiting for the new KTM streetfighter! (Giant F'ing smile). The thing
has an obscene weight/horsepower/overall size ratio. Bill C.

The people I know in the industry, the same ones who gave me the heads up I posted here a few months
back, BTW, say that C-Dale will bust up and the bike division will be sold, most likely to
Litespeed's owner, assuming the debt in the moto division can be handed off. Greg Miller

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

> I don't think it was that the days of dirt bikes are gone that did them in. I think it was the
> "new" Honda CR all aluminum frame. I think the new frame is about 5 or 6 years old. well within
> C-Dale's startup. I think they thought that thier aluminium expertise would carry the bike. Bad
> call. M/C world is way too competitive. Waiting for the new KTM streetfighter! (Giant F'ing
> smile). The thing has an obscene weight/horsepower/overall size ratio. Bill C.

One thing that probably contributed heavily to the problems was the decision to develop their own
engine. They spent tons of cash on that, when they could have just gone to Rotax, given them the
specs they were looking for and sat back to work on the rest of the bike. Rotax has so much
experience in that arena it isn't funny. Going that route -has- to be cheaper than doing it
yourself. Once they got a bike to market, then they could think about doing the engine on their own.
Selling motorcycles at a loss is a pretty bad idea. The KTM you wrote about is very interesting, but
I want to see the sportbike that will be powered by the big bore motor they've been developing (with
Rotax, if I recall). I really wanted to get a KTM Sting from a couple years ago: a scaled down Duke