c02 tyre pumps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by philhudson, Sep 27, 2004.

1. philhudson

philhudson New Member

does anyone know much about the innovations c02 tyre inflator, IE how much can it pump up with one cartridge?

Tags:

2. gruppo

gruppo New Member

The standard 16 gram cartridges are good for the inflation of 1 tire to approximately 120 psi.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Check the chart at URL:

<http://www.innovationsaz.com/iaz-typical_yield_co2.htm>

Carbon dioxide is a colorless, odorless non-flammable and slightly acidic-tasting gas. It is approximately 1.5 times as dense as air and is soluble in water.

4. Lighterthief

Lighterthief New Member

i've got a 12 gram one, its cool for top ups, but it takes more than one canister to inflate a tyre from flat.....

nice and easy to carry, i don't leave home without it

5. philhudson

philhudson New Member

thanks for the help, i will probably get some 16 grm cannisters.

Thx phil

6. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

I have the combo pump/CO2 thing. It has a small pump volume but with a bit of time, will pump a road tire to 70 PSI. I only go to 25 PSI, topping off with the [email protected] for a full 130 PSI inflation.

Its safer since the beads are fully seated when you rapidly inflate with the gas.

The other benefit is the non-threaded CO2 cylinders cost $0.25 each in bulk. No 16 gram cartridge is under $1.00. Carry 2 12 gramers and you have 50% more gas for half the cost.

7. philhudson

philhudson New Member

so should i get threded or non threaded?

8. meltdown

meltdown New Member

I got a pump that takes both threaded and non threaded... the non seem to work fine for me... and i got a case (15) of 12 grams for 7 bucks at walmart vs 1 16gram for 3 something at the bike shop... i'd go with the 12 grams and just pack 3 or 4 in your pouch.

9. philhudson

philhudson New Member

lol! you dont get things that good value in england!

10. meltdown

meltdown New Member

sorry to hear that... its been a bit since i was in England :) but i would imagine that the difference in price for the 16 vs the 12 would still be relatively the same... but you would know better then me in England :) Good luck.

11. philhudson

philhudson New Member

yeah i suppose, the trouble is things (everything) is twice as expensive cos of currency :( thanks for all of the advice!

ps wallmart is coming to england soon.....!

12. meltdown

meltdown New Member

I will say this... I had to use it once already (only had it a week) and it was worth all the money it cost... I've broken stem's on tubes trying to use the hand pump because it took so long and i got so tired and frustrated with pumping it... so to me its worth the expence...

13. philhudson

philhudson New Member

yeah they sound good, looks like i will be getting one!

14. philhudson

philhudson New Member

you know any other must haves i should get?(started cycling 3 weeks ago, ordered cannondale r500!)

15. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

You Brits are shopping in the wrong store but it could be your arcane laws. You see the 12 gram CO2's are used for air rifles/pistols here in the states. I know Webly, BSA and a host of German air rifles use these so you might be able to get them for cheap...but if your laws treat them as "ammunition", the cost and trouble might be too much.

I prefer the Daisy brand as they have the least amount of oil. But if you dispense vertically, the oil stays in the cylinder.

16. philhudson

philhudson New Member

i think air rifles are illeagle in th UK!! LOL :)

17. meltdown

meltdown New Member

:eek: I didnt know about oil in the CO2's ??? Is it a big problem or just make sure i keep it vertical is enough? Although the rate i'm going through tires it wont be a problem... only had the bike 1 month and already gone through 2 tubes :rolleyes:

18. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Keep it vertical and all is fine. The CO2 is in the liquid state and is quite dense. The oil stays behind once the pressure is relieved enough to cause the CO2 to form dry ice but you then need to wait a few seconds to force the dry ice into the gas phase, rebuilding pressure.

Crossman have a good bit of oil but the Daisy's are pretty dry. A bit of oil should be of no consequence since tubes have some talcum inside.

BTW, air rifles are permitted in the UK if they have less than 12 ft*lbs of energy at the muzzle. For .177, that means a muzzle velocity of about 650 ft/second. There are other laws, regulations and permits to be had...don't know what about CO2 cartridges.

No regulations barring purchase for the Brits! A bit more expensive @ a bit over a half pound each when bought in packs of 25. These are non-threaded 12 gram capsules, as you call them. Buy in bulk and SAVE!

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/showproducts.asp?cat=Umarex CO2 Capsules&SubCat=CO2 Pistols

19. philhudson

philhudson New Member

will those c02 cannisters fit any c02 tyre inflator?

plus how much is delivery etc, do you use them?

20. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Those are 12 gram, NON-THREADED. The only inflators that work with them are the ones that fully surround the bottom of the cylinder. These are the larger inflators. The ultra lightweight inflators require threaded cartridges.