Caad10 ultegra or super six 105

Woodlandleo19

Sep 16, 2012
Thinking about getting a new road bike for nexy year's season. Which is the better buy between the cannondale super six 105 and caad10 ultegra bike. The price for both bikes are about the same.

Woodlandleo19 said:
Thinking about getting a new road bike for nexy year's season. Which is the better buy between the cannondale super six 105 and caad10 ultegra bike. The price for both bikes are about the same.
The best buy is the one with the best ride and aesthetics that push your buttons. They're both going to fit pretty much the same. You should test ride both.

Personally I'd go for the SuperSIX, it has a carbon frame (right?) as opposed to Aluminium for the CAAD 8. You get cheaper components but they can be upgraded over time.

Dr Lodge said:
Personally I'd go for the SuperSIX, it has a carbon frame (right?) as opposed to Aluminium for the CAAD 8. You get cheaper components but they can be upgraded over time.
Note that he said he was looking at the CAAD10, and from the journo reviews it doesn't seem as if the journos think the CAAD10 gives up anything to carbon fiber frames. CF frames aren't imbued with any special ride characteristics.

What I read on reviews is that the caad10 out performs some cf frames. I also read that it is close but does not out perform the super six when it comes to ride quality. My dilema is if to go with lesser components in super six or better components with the caad10. I know that I can upgrade the ss later on but it will cost more in the long run. Will investing better wheels ect. make the ride quality the same as the ss. Wheel ugrade is something I plan to do with either bike I get

Woodlandleo19 said:
What I read on reviews is that the caad10 out performs some cf frames. I also read that it is close but does not out perform the super six when it comes to ride quality. My dilema is if to go with lesser components in super six or better components with the caad10. I know that I can upgrade the ss later on but it will cost more in the long run. Will investing better wheels ect. make the ride quality the same as the ss. Wheel ugrade is something I plan to do with either bike I get
Ride quality is difficult to qualify and is influenced highly be the individual and their perception. That applies to magazine journos, as well. I referred to the reviews only because the reviews of unanimously said the bike performs well. A journo cannot tell what will ride better for you. Only you can do that. Why don't do the smart thing and test ride these bikes? No one here can tell you which will ride better or which is the better value. The better value is entirely dependent on how you value things, not how we value things. The biggest change you can make to ride quality comes just by changing the pressure to which you inflate your tires and/or changing the size tires you use. What effect different wheels have on ride quality will depend on the differences between the original wheels and the replacement wheels. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about ride quality resulting from wheel type other than to say deep rims tend to have a bit harsher ride quality than low profile rims, all else being equal. FWIW, the frame geometry on the two bikes is so close to being the same that there aren't any conclusions that can be drawn from the differences.

Originally Posted by Woodlandleo19 .

Will investing better wheels ect. make the ride quality the same as the ss. Wheel ugrade is something I plan to do with either bike I get
Different wheels can offer different ride qualities. The same? I dunno. But simply swapping the stock 23c tires (if that's what they come with) with 25's will help improve ride quality on any bike.

Edit: I'm betting Sagan would have had the same TDF results on a CAAD10. You're not going wrong with either of these bikes - they are both top shelf.

Another option would be to invest your wheel budget into your new bike purchase. Now your looking at SS Ultegra and CAAD10 Dura Ace.

Ride both bikes. You should feel a difference in the two since they are both made of different material. The Ultegra group will shift a bit quicker. Both groups are bullet proof and should last a long time if taken care of. Make note the tire pressure is the same for both before test ride. Once you have rode both, decide which material feels better. Color could sway your decision one way or the other. Above all, make sure both "FIT" you! You can't go wrong with either one. Enjoy~
Rick in Tennessee

Originally Posted by Woodlandleo19 .

If I do that I will still want a wheel upgrade
If you are so sure about the quality of the wheels needing upgrading then you should be able to figure out which bike is best for you.

davereo said:
If you are so sure about the quality of the wheels needing upgrading then you should be able to figure out which bike is best for you.
That does bring up the question about why the OP feels the need to upgrade the wheels that come with the bike, which ever he chooses. OP?

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of getting the super six. I've never owned a carbon fibre bike before. For the past 10 yrs I've owned a caad 5 ultegra bike. The caad 5 is supposedly a harsh ride but being my only bike for so long the ride feel has become normal for me. I guess getting a carbon bike will be something new and exciting for me. The idea of wheel upgrades is due to the fact that my caad5 bike came with mavic kysrium ssc. Bikes today will carry high components but in my opinion lack in wheel sets. I guess to control cost. Reviews on the entry level wheel sets that come with both bikes are not really good . They come across as kinda make do wheels. I still haven't test rode the bikes yet. Gonna do it soon though.

Thanks to everyone for ur advices they where all very helpfull. I test rode both bikes today. Both really good rigs. My choice was the super six. It did have better a smoother ride feel to me but slightly so. Thanks again to all for ur advice and time.