CAAD8 Cannondale

stuart smith

Aug 15, 2003
Hi all. Just bought this years CAAD8 R1000 with ultegra 10spd and was wondering if anyone else has ridden one? Reason im asking is cause i have just had to have the bottom bracket replaced and its only 3 weeks old and i was curious if anyone else has had the same problem. :(

My CAAD 8 R1000 is good, no probs with bottom braket or anything else, could have been a dodge BB or just not installed properly.:)

Cheers for that. I pick it up today so im hoping thats all it was. Have you had yours for long and what do you think of it compared to your last bike??

I have ridden on a Cannondale sponsored team for five years and have ridden a caad 6-7-and now 8 and they all are great! Cannondale has always taked care of any issue in a timely manor even though I have have very few concerns. For racing it is a great bike. Light, sharp, stiff and comforable in long races.

My wife's R1000 is an Ultegra-equipped triple (9sp). No problems whatsoever. I'd guess maybe a couple thousand miles to date.

Good luck!

Stuart, looks like i will prob have to get the BB replacesd like you. Came back from ride today and after checking BB has a good 5-10mm of play, and bike now 4 weeks old. When i posted last reply everything was good however in last week gears stared to slip bad (shimano ultegra 10spd), front wheel has bit of play and now BB is playing up so not too happy, looks like the warranty gets a work out.

I'm looking to buy this years R1000 as well, what kind of life should I expect from the frame(I will log ~2500 miles from May to Sept, I am a 160 lb. rider, and plan to do some racing).

bspeedy00 said:
I'm looking to buy this years R1000 as well, what kind of life should I expect from the frame(I will log ~2500 miles from May to Sept, I am a 160 lb. rider, and plan to do some racing).
How long is a a rope? And have you read Cdales warranty disclaimer. Good luck.

stuart smith said:
Hi all. Just bought this years CAAD8 R1000 with ultegra 10spd and was wondering if anyone else has ridden one? Reason im asking is cause i have just had to have the bottom bracket replaced and its only 3 weeks old and i was curious if anyone else has had the same problem. :(
Now that you've had the problem with the bottom bracket, do you regret the purchase of the R1000 at all? I've been looking at getting either the 2005 R1000 or R5000, but this is the first I've heard of the bottom bracket problems(I'm assuming this was the listed BB - the TruVatiV Giga X Drive - is this correct?). Just wondering what you both thought now that you've had problems with them after such a short amount of use. Any information would be great.

lorrod said:
Now that you've had the problem with the bottom bracket, do you regret the purchase of the R1000 at all? I've been looking at getting either the 2005 R1000 or R5000, but this is the first I've heard of the bottom bracket problems(I'm assuming this was the listed BB - the TruVatiV Giga X Drive - is this correct?). Just wondering what you both thought now that you've had problems with them after such a short amount of use. Any information would be great.
Not sure of the correct terminology so bear with me :) The problem with mine was the cup that holds the bb in place was faulty. It had a small crack in it. Now its been fixed and there have been no more problems. I do approx 400km a week on it plus racing. Really happy with it now.

okay this is probablly a pretty dumb question.. but i am probably going to order a 2005 r1000 in a few days and right now i am stuck on which color to get... the black matte paint scheme or the blue.. i like the black one a lot.. but my coworkers at the LBS tell me that you wouldnt even be able to tell it's a c'dale b/c you can hardly see the decals, it would just look like a plain black frame that I bought on nashbar or something.. and since i'm spending so much, i want people to know what it is! however.. the blue one has too many decals, and i dont really like blue bikes!

what colors do you guys have?

haha, i know its my choice but i want to hear why you all chose the color you did! also, don't tell me that it's not how the bike looks and that it's all about the rider... i want something that looks good too..

Hi again, i did not have a bb prob, the cranks just came a bit loose, but now all good. I have the blue colour scheme, and think it looks great. the black is also good but i prefer the gloss colours compared to matte. A great bike all round. :)

I saw the matte black R1000 yesterday in a shop down in Folsom, CA and it looked awesome! The blue is nice too, but I thought the black one...I think they call it BBQ or something....was amazing looking. As far as telling whether or not it was a Cannondale, there was really no question - we had no problems seeing the decals or anything along those lines.

mksalazar said:
okay this is probablly a pretty dumb question.. but i am probably going to order a 2005 r1000 in a few days and right now i am stuck on which color to get... the black matte paint scheme or the blue.. i like the black one a lot.. but my coworkers at the LBS tell me that you wouldnt even be able to tell it's a c'dale b/c you can hardly see the decals, it would just look like a plain black frame that I bought on nashbar or something.. and since i'm spending so much, i want people to know what it is! however.. the blue one has too many decals, and i dont really like blue bikes!

what colors do you guys have?

haha, i know its my choice but i want to hear why you all chose the color you did! also, don't tell me that it's not how the bike looks and that it's all about the rider... i want something that looks good too..

I have the blue colour scheme. I had to sell myself on it a bit as i preferred the grey R5000 colour scheme better. I must admit its grown on me now and i really like. Could do with a few less cannondale decals though!!!!

stuart smith said:
I have the blue colour scheme. I had to sell myself on it a bit as i preferred the grey R5000 colour scheme better. I must admit its grown on me now and i really like. Could do with a few less cannondale decals though!!!!

yeah man, haha im totally with you on that. but unfortunately i dont have the extra $500 to go with the R5000, but i do love the grey. i'm more one for neutral color bikes.. haha call me psycho..