caad8 versus bianchi liquigas bike?

dm69

Jan 24, 2006
Ok I will get this out of the way I am very lucky :p !!! I have the hard decision of investing in a racing bike. My training/ current race bike (avanti vivace) is a little heavy and unaerodynamic due to crappy wheels.

Here is my choice- Bianchi Liquigas Aluminium/ carbon 06 model bike. This bike only comes with campagnolo xenon, it seems like a crime to equip such a frame with those components but apparently the xenon ain't that bad just a lil heavy. No doubt this frame is one of, if not THE best frame going around at the time.

Second choice, quite possibly the value bike of the century- cannondale caad 8 with 105 and ultegra rear deraileurs and shimano r550's ( I absolutely love the sleek/ aero look of shimano wheels) which I can't flex anyhoo due to my small body:D .

Remember that these bikes will only be ridden for races so they may only see 2500km's a year. Durability isn't a big concern like on my vivace which I clock up to 400-700km's a week.

Both are the same price $2800. Obviously I will test the bikes out before I purchase any of the two and I will aim for the perfect fit.

Please post any experiences you have had.

By the way- I am leaning towards the caad8 because of the beautiful components compared to lower end campagnolo. I also plan to specialize in 2-3 day tours which almost always have a 10-20km TT, I dont believe the bianchi has as aero a wheelset as the caad8 (r550's)

Hmmm it seems that bianchi is a via nirone, a step below the ones used by the pro's...sorry if it confused anybofy.

Anyone have experience with the xenon setup?

dm69 said:
Hmmm it seems that bianchi is a via nirone, a step below the ones used by the pro's...sorry if it confused anybofy.

Anyone have experience with the xenon setup?

I have this bike, the via nirone is a good solid bike. It's not aero or light, but it doesn't flex. The xenon system shifts very well.

-Bikeguy

$2800 may get you the front fork on Di Luca's Bianchi Liquigas bike! :p

Without having tried the Xenon, I would suggest that you consider going slightly more up-market. A Veloce (or better yet a Centaur) will last you forever and give you all the performance you need.

Your comparison in terms of the bikes you suggest is difficult - after all comparing a Xenon equipped bike with a 105/Ultegra is a bit... forced. :rolleyes:

Don't know much about the Cannondale, the Via Nirone is a nice solid frame, not particularly light... something of an entry-level in racing terms. It will serve you well.

Powerful Pete said:
$2800 may get you the front fork on Di Luca's Bianchi Liquigas bike! :p

Without having tried the Xenon, I would suggest that you consider going slightly more up-market. A Veloce (or better yet a Centaur) will last you forever and give you all the performance you need.

Your comparison in terms of the bikes you suggest is difficult - after all comparing a Xenon equipped bike with a 105/Ultegra is a bit... forced. :rolleyes:

Don't know much about the Cannondale, the Via Nirone is a nice solid frame, not particularly light... something of an entry-level in racing terms. It will serve you well.
You recommend campy veloce or centaur? admittedly I like the look of campy but i doubt its worth the extra 300 to go from 105/ ultegra to veloce. Really they are at about the same level just different brands shimano vs campy and the tiagra on my current bike has done the job fine.

The caad8 seems to be shouting buy me buy me!!! :p compared to the lowly via nirone, remember I am looking for a RACING BIKE not a comfortable one. I only have to put up with it on racedays so as long as it doesn't flex and waste my power I will be happy.

The bianchi is still a solid option based on the brand alone and the reputation it has!