CAAD8 vs CAAD9 (Sorry in advance)

saintsfan342000

Apr 6, 2007
Hey everyone,

I know there have been many many threads of the same title. I've searched this forum and others about the topic, and all that ever comes up is people discussing the mechanical design differences, like the larger diameter top tube where it meets the head tube.

What I'm looking for is someone out there who has owned both frames, or ridden both extensively, and their thoughts on the performance and comfort differences. I have test ridden both, but cannot tell any difference doing the old parking lot loop.

Thanks a lot.

saintsfan342000 said:
Hey everyone,

I know there have been many many threads of the same title. I've searched this forum and others about the topic, and all that ever comes up is people discussing the mechanical design differences, like the larger diameter top tube where it meets the head tube.

What I'm looking for is someone out there who has owned both frames, or ridden both extensively, and their thoughts on the performance and comfort differences. I have test ridden both, but cannot tell any difference doing the old parking lot loop.

Thanks a lot.
I just bought a CAAD8 after taking both it and a CAAD9 for a good test ride. I found the CAAD9 to ride too harsh for my liking. So far I love my CAAD8.

Hope that helps.

Ask the Bike Shop to let you take it for a real ride, maybe up the street and up a hill. One really good way to get them to do this is to let them see that you are serious, maybe by offering a deposit on the bike to be applied to the purchase price when you get back. They might even provide someone to ride with you to make sure you don't take off with the bike. Be prepared, though, to buy the bike right after the ride. If you still can't feel the difference, buy the less expensive one.

Thanks for your advice guys. But two days prior to any replies I made my decision and went with a CAAD9 Optimo3 (105). Got it for 1250 from a great bike shop in town. Can't wait to take it down to the bike-friendly city of Austin and really see what it's got.

saintsfan342000 said:
Thanks for your advice guys. But two days prior to any replies I made my decision and went with a CAAD9 Optimo3 (105). Got it for 1250 from a great bike shop in town. Can't wait to take it down to the bike-friendly city of Austin and really see what it's got.
wow, great deal on the bike. i got the CAAD8 Optimo 1, and i paid $1350. happy riding