Caad9 optimo3 or Synapse alloy?

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Been biking for about 2 years (first a mountain bike and now a hybrid, Giant) and now I find myself going on longer rides (30 to 40 miles) and less trails, so I'm thinking a good road bike is my next step. Don't want to spend more than $1600 and local shop has Cannondales on sale-Caad9 optimo 3 for $1300- (regular $1600). The question is:
Are Synapse alloys better suited for my rides (no competition and I like a more comfortable ride) I've tested both but to my untrained feel both seem to ride the same. The Synapse is NOT on sale and retails for about $1700. From everything I've read both bikes are very good and my shop tells me they are the best buy for the price range...
Also, I've never used clipless pedals so anything you can tell me will help. I've read some road pedals cause knee pain and that the last thing i need ( I don't run as much for that reason) Does one really need road pedals?
Any comments will be greatly appreciated

rparedes said:
No advice at all? NOBODY has any experience with these bikes?
No direct experience with Cannondale bikes...I know a number of folks who ride them and like them very much, but couldn't really advise on whether the Synapse or CAAD9 is a better choice for your needs.

As for pedals, yes, you want clipless pedals. Everyone seems to have their preferences...I run Look Keo's on my road bikes and they work well for me.

Some brands offer more or less float than others (the ability to move your foot from side to side without clipping out)...some think having enough float helps avoid knee problems. Another possible source of knee problems is having the cleat improperly positioned on the shoe.

But don't let all that scare you off...having your foot securely clipped in makes riding much more efficient and enjoyable.

dcvelo said:
No direct experience with Cannondale bikes...
But don't let all that scare you off...having your foot securely clipped in makes riding much more efficient and enjoyable.
Thanks for the input. I thought this was going to be easy but Ive tested alot of bikes and now I'm leaning to the Cadd9 or Blue (carbon forks and seat stays) BUT now the question is: tripple chainring or compact?

There is a LOT of hills in North metro Atlanta. I still use my "granny gear" but I'm riding a heavy bike. LBS says stick to compact. The problem is that both bikes are shimano 105's with racing chainrings. LBS will do an even swap to a compact ring but not a shimano (FSA I think) and they are warning me the shifting is not going to be as "smooth". The shimano compact would cost another $200 and that really puts it above my original budget by a lot.
Any experience mixing components?

rparedes said:
Been biking for about 2 years (first a mountain bike and now a hybrid, Giant) and now I find myself going on longer rides (30 to 40 miles) and less trails, so I'm thinking a good road bike is my next step. Don't want to spend more than $1600 and local shop has Cannondales on sale-Caad9 optimo 3 for $1300- (regular $1600). The question is:
Are Synapse alloys better suited for my rides (no competition and I like a more comfortable ride) I've tested both but to my untrained feel both seem to ride the same. The Synapse is NOT on sale and retails for about $1700. From everything I've read both bikes are very good and my shop tells me they are the best buy for the price range...
Also, I've never used clipless pedals so anything you can tell me will help. I've read some road pedals cause knee pain and that the last thing i need ( I don't run as much for that reason) Does one really need road pedals?
Any comments will be greatly appreciated

I use road pedals. When I use regular pedal blocks I find that I'm using my quads more to help me stay in motion. With road pedals I'm able to go just as fast with less stress on the quads because I'm using the muscles in my opposite leg to pull up while I push down. Road pedals enable me to apply power throughout the entire range of the cranks. The trick is to develop the technique that allows me to not only pull through the bottom of the stroke and then pull up, but also enables me to smoothly get through the top of the stroke. I developed this technique by pedalling with one foot at a time and bending my ankle to help me push through the top of the stroke. I used to extend my ankle and try to pull through the top of the stroke but that caused me to raise my knees higher than necessary. Enjoy your new bike!

I saw several riders using the ritchey compact crankset [with shimano and campy stuff] at the Cascade Cycling Classic in Bend, Oregon. I asked a couple of them about shifting and they said they had no difficulties.
The caad 9 is going to be a stiffer ride than the synapse, cannondales of the past could be really stiff and the caad 9 is considered a race bike, but it rides pretty well for me [but I'm a little on the heavy side].
I thought the synapse alloy could be had with a compact crank or a road triple
not a 39/53 but if that is what your shop is offering .... I applaud you for buying locallly. Good luck.

rparedes said:
Thanks for the input. I thought this was going to be easy but Ive tested alot of bikes and now I'm leaning to the Cadd9 or Blue (carbon forks and seat stays) BUT now the question is: tripple chainring or compact?

There is a LOT of hills in North metro Atlanta. I still use my "granny gear" but I'm riding a heavy bike. LBS says stick to compact. The problem is that both bikes are shimano 105's with racing chainrings. LBS will do an even swap to a compact ring but not a shimano (FSA I think) and they are warning me the shifting is not going to be as "smooth". The shimano compact would cost another $200 and that really puts it above my original budget by a lot.
Any experience mixing components?
Long reply tonight because Tour de Dope is now Tour de Turnoff (ya I know it's only a minority but I could care less about Barry Bondo setting homerun record, too)

I live in Roswell GA, near the river, and have no choice but to ride hills (there's only one Blue dealer around, so I know the LBS - note that REI had some Caad 9s and AL Synapes on sale recently). I'm +50, ran most of my life and as a result had knee surgery a few months ago (cartilage and a big mess of bone frags). I have a C'dale 16 spd Ultegra (had it repainted after a few roadscapes so no model number decals), old but light bone-rattler AL, and a Klein AL mtn bike triple (27 spd). The old knees were fine with the triple, but knees could no longer take a 39x23 road ring on the steep hills. I bought a slightly used Synape carbon triple (6 mo. old) - my knees are happy now, as is the rest of my body - sweet ride (but doesn't handle as tightly as old C'dale). In time I hope to reduce use of the granny gear, but old beatup knees are a reality of life for many people. I still push the 52 on the flats, but the knee strain in the hills takes its toll over time.

Note most of the LBS guys giving advice are much younger, are or former Cat 1-2 racers - not performance fitness/rec riders. I did my share of tris/time trials and a few 50-100k road races when I was their age, but you must judge on your own knees - much of that is hereditary and life experience. Are you going to be riding the same bike 4-5 years from now? How will your knees be then? Also, if you have hereditary arthritis, that will certainly be a factor - that's life. Save your knees and ride for life (I hike the mountains a lot, too, and started using hiking poles - real knees savers downhill).

Try a 30-39-52 triple - the only big diff is the granny gear and a few ounces (easily made up in other areas), it shifts a fraction of a second slower in the big cross gears, but so does my mtn bike - I ain't racin', so the value of faster shifting is nil for me (tried FSA compact at Performance - it does shift faster, read that it's not quite as smooth as full Shimano - try Search on the forum for threads). Experienced riders shift in advance of need - but then I started serious cycling in the downtube shifter days of clicker-freewheels and cleats/straps. STI and SPD are godsends.

Go to clipless for sure. Try Speedplay for a lot of float. Properly positioned SPD is fine, no worry for my knees as now most have 15 degree of float. Most LBS and REI will allow you to try diff. styles of pedals and trade them out (REI has liberal return policy - nothing against LBS, but for saddles especially is nice to return if saddle isn't good fit - most LBS do allow you to trade for diff. saddle).

Be fast, Be wise, Be safe,
Roadscrape

roadscrape said:
Long reply tonight because Tour de Dope is now Tour de Turnoff...)

I live in Roswell GA, near the river, and have no choice but to ride hills ... - note that REI had some Caad 9s and AL Synapes on sale recently).... I bought a slightly used Synape carbon triple (6 mo. old) - ...
Try a 30-39-52 triple - the only big diff is the granny gear and a few ounces (easily made up in other areas), ....Go to clipless for sure. Try Speedplay for a lot of float. Properly positioned SPD is fine, no worry for my knees as now most have 15 degree of float...
Thanks!
Too bad about the doping thing...
I live in Roswell also and ride to 40 mile route; there are some very tough hills, I'm 53 and would like to ride for many years so wanna make sure i don't screw-up getting the wrong set-up. LBS really suggests the compact chainring 'cause there are "too many gears not used in a tripple". They will set up a compact with additional cassette in rear (11 I think) for me to ride on Friday. If that doesn't work, I'll just wait for the 08 cannondales which will come with triples and 105 components...(I won't get the sale price but what the heck.... I'll get the right bike)
I think I'll start with standard pedals at first until i get used the bike (that is IF I buy one this weekend)
REI... I tell you the guys at the LBS have helped me so much (fitted to test ride, 2 Giants, 2 blues, 3 cannondales, and a couple of more) that I am going to buy from them maybe not this weekend but soon...

thanks for the input!

RP,
I've read that a 11-25 x 39-52 has 95% of the gear spread as a 12-25 triple, but I've not tried that setup, much less worked out the actual ratio combinations. Since you have mtn bike experience with a triple, you could offer related input once you get your new bike.

Roswell Bikes and Cycleworks (Specialized dealer) are both wonderful LBSs to work with. I buy from both (if I'd not found such a killer deal on a barely used Synapse, I would have bought a new one from RB). I'm in REI often for hiking gear but often talk with the cycling guys - they're middle aged, very experienced and knowledgable, too. Performance has some good deals, the kids working their are nice and helpful, but don't have the knowledge and experice of Roswell Bikes or Cycleworks.

roadscrape said:
RP,
I've read that a 11-25 x 39-52 has 95% of the gear spread as a 12-25 triple, ...

Roswell Bikes and Cycleworks (Specialized dealer) are both wonderful LBSs to work with. ... I'm in REI often for hiking gear but often talk with the cycling guys - they're middle aged, very experienced and knowledgable, too. Performance has some good deals, the kids working their are nice and helpful, but don't have the knowledge and experice of Roswell Bikes or Cycleworks.
I'll riding the compact set-up tomorrow.
RB is where I'm buying. Tried Performance (scattante and fuji bikes) but i agree with you. I don't think the guys there know as much as RB. Their bikes seem not well matched in terms of quality level. Cheap frame, expensive shifter and derauillers, cheap brakes, cheap cranksets, cheap wheelsets.
My son has an REI "account". He buys lots of climbing gear there but i've never tried their biking dept. I saw a few bikes there but did not try them. Somehow it never occurred to me to shop there but it's good to know...

I have a Caad9 Optimo 3 on 105, for the price I reckon it's quite a good package. I've changed a few things since i bought it, but the frame is very stiff which I like. The compact crank option on the bike will be good, even on steep hills the compact will be sufficient rather than opting for a triple.
The only issue I had was the wheels was a bit heavy using Shimano 561s, I am using Easton Tempest II at the moment which feels quite good.
Just wondering how much are the Optimo 2 or 1 at your LBS? I would pay a little more to get a better groupset if I had the opportunity again but it's a personal preference.

I purchased my C-dale six13 from Roswell bikes and got the shimano compact crank and SRAM 11-26 cassette for doing the north Georgia mountains. I use Look Keos on both the six13 and the Felt F45.

If I were looking for another budget minded bike I would consider the CAAD 9 with compact gearing. Affordable, fairly light and stiff. May not be a century cruiser, but for me I want fast over comfort.

The owner of Roswell Bikes was very good about answering all my questions.
I did not get any price breaks on the bike.

The guys at Outspokin located a few miles west in Woodstock are great to deal with. They carry Bianchi, Titus, Specialized, Salsa, Orbea, Scott and Look, but again the CAAD 9 is a good bike frame that can be dressed up a later date if you desire.

Felt_Rider said:
I purchased my C-dale six13 from Roswell bikes and got the shimano compact crank and SRAM 11-26 cassette for doing the north Georgia mountains. I use Look Keos on both the six13 and the Felt F45...
If I were looking for another budget minded bike I would consider the CAAD 9 with compact gearing. Affordable, fairly light and stiff. May not be a century cruiser, but for me I want fast over comfort... but again the CAAD 9 is a good bike frame that can be dressed up a later date if you desire.

Well, I rode the Cadd9 with compact for a total of 4 hrs (2 each day) it's a beautiful bike but it's almost too much bike for me. I could not get up the steep hills...especialy from the river to my home (i live on top of hill above the chattahooche river and around Martin's Landing) maybe in another year? it's definetely a racing bike. BIG step from my current comfort bike. At my age (53), right know I think i need something less agressive, a little step at a time. I am taking it back and waiting for 08 synapses (07's all gone) the one I want is about $1,100. or I'll test ride some more on the Giant OCR1, I really need the triple crank set. Now I realize how particular this process really is...
Roswell Bikes had a good sale going on some limited sizes across most of the brands they carry but their stock has gone down a lot in the last 2 weeks...they still 2 caad9s for $1,400 and 2 caad8s for $1,100. the Felt i rode was $1,300...I definetely will stick to the more relaxed frame geometry and the tripple...