Cabbage Rolls (Holubtsi)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nuke, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Nuke

Nuke Guest

>I am searching for a recipe for a Holopci (Cabbage Rolls)

Years ago I worked for a boss who was from Ukraine. These holubtsi taste just like the ones I had in
    his house. nuke

Cabbage Rolls (Holubtsi)

1 cup rice 1 lb ground beef
    1/2 lb ground pork 1 cup onion, chopped
    2/4 cup parsley, chopped 1 cabbage, about 4 pounds 6 oz. tomato paste 28 oz. diced tomatoes 28 oz.
    sauerkraut, drained 1 egg, slightly beaten
    3/2 tsp garlic salt
    4/4 tsp salt
    5/4 tsp pepper
    6/2 tsp nutmeg caraway seeds sour cream

Cook the rice. Brown & drain the beef and pork. Saute the onion and parsley. Core the cabbage and
    immerse in boiling water until leaves start to come loose. Remove from heat but keep in the hot
    water to continue softening. Preheat oven to 325 deg. F. Mix tomato paste, tomatoes and sauerkraut.
    Line a pan with a few of the large outside cabbage leaves. Pour a little of tomato mixture over the
    lining. Mix the onion, parsley, meats, rice, egg and all seasonings except caraway seeds. Separate a
    cabbage leaf and remove the back rib with a knife (slice parallel to the leaf surface & remove as
    much rib as you can without cutting into the leaf itself). Put some of the rice mixture on the leaf
    (quantity will depend on how big the leaf is). Roll up leaf, folding in the sides. Place roll in
    pan, seam side down. Repeat until all the filling, or leaves, are used up.

Pour remaining tomato mixture over rolls. Sprinkle caraway seeds over. Cover and bake for 1 to 11/2
    hours. Serve with sour cream.

--
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email protected]
    Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting.
    Please allow several days for your submission to appear.
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

Tags: