Cabbage Rolls

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by PlaidPooka, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. PlaidPooka

    PlaidPooka Guest

    > From: "Rodrick Jernigan" [email protected]
    > Subject: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
    > I am hoping someone has a good and easy recipe for stuffed cabbage
    > rolls

    The following is a recipe I got from my grandmother and I found it easy
    and tasty.

    Cabbage Rolls

    1 lg. Cabbage
    1 lb. Ground Beef
    1/2 lb. ground Pork
    1/2 cup Rice
    1 Egg
    1 Onion (finely chopped)
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    5 slices of Bacon

    Remove core from whole head of cabbage. Scald cabbage in boiling water.
    Remove a few leaves at a time as needed to prevent wilting. Cool before
    using. Wash rice in cold water and stir into two quarts rapidly boiling
    salted water. Boil 10 minutes and strain. Run cold water through rice in
    strainer. The rice will be half cooked. Saute onion in butter until
    transparent. Combine onions with meat, egg, rice and seasoning. Mix well.
    Spread each leaf with meat about 1/2 inch thick. Fold the two opposite
    sides and roll, staring with one of the opposite ends. Fasten with
    toothpicks. Place cabbage rolls in baking dish and cover with 5 slices of
    bacon and roast for 2 hours at 300 degrees F. Baste from time to time,
    or - add one cup water to tomato puree and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
    Watch closely and add more water, if necessary.
    --
    PlaidPooka

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email protected].
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/