Cable Barrel Adjuster

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by litespeedguy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

While stretching and then anchoring a new derailleur cable should the barrel adjuster be set all the way in, all out, or somewhere in the middle ? or doesn't it matter where it's set at ?

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Personally, I rotate the barrels all the way in and then back it out about a turn or turn and a half. That way if the cables are initially too tight, I have a little wiggle room, but plenty of room to allow for housing compression. On one of my bikes, I set it up without barrels (Cannondale-Record- Nokons), and to be honest it's fine. It took a couple times on the stand to get fully dialed in, but after that, no worries.

3. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

thanks Peter !!

4. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

+1.

5. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

+1 ????????????

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

+1 just means that he agrees with the PeterF. Now since I also agree with PeterF, I would put either +1 or +2. You'll catch on. I have been a member of this forum for over a year and I still have problems figuring out what some of the acronyms mean:rolleyes: .

7. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

+3 :) My frame was set up by the builder without barrel adjusters as well. He assured me I wouldn't need them; they are just extra hardware to cause problems. In 16K miles, the only cable adjustment needed was after the initial break in, about 600 miles.

8. PeterF

PeterF New Member

If you change rear wheels a lot the barrels could have some merit, but honestly, even on the bike that has them, I never use them. Whenever I re-cable a bike though, my first couple rides are usually solo, as I work out the kinks, I just like puting the bike on the stand and making sure the alignment is perfect, rather than trusting the barrels on the fly. I have these inline barrel things from Jagwire that I bought, but they never came out of the box. Just didn't feel like working them into the Nokon's. Re nokon's: they're ok, but a pain to install. They don't compress like regular housing per se, but allow for a couple 100 miles for all the beads and ferrules and liners to work themselves into position a bit. Once in place they are nice (but not really worth the money in my .02).