Cable Compatability for campy!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by simmoclayto, Nov 17, 2006.

1. simmoclayto

simmoclayto New Member

Hi there

I have durace brake and shifter cables. I am looking at purchasing either a campy chorus or volace shifters. Will these cabes be compatable? or do i need to purchase new campy cables

cheers

Simon

Tags:

2. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

If you buy new Campag shifters, they come with the cables anyway. If you buy used, then I think you'll need new cables - don't the Shimano ones have the barrel adjuster on the shift cable just upstream of the shifter? Won't work with Campag as the cable needs to go under the tape.

A word of warning: If you're buying 2007 shifters, then go for Chorus rather than Veloce.
    Up to and including 2006, all the groups except Xenon used exactly the same shifter internals, with the exception of Chorus/Record, which had two ball bearing races instead of plain bushes. With the '07 kit, Chorus/Record are exactly the same as last year except for one tiny cogwheel in the left shifter, designed to work with the new QS front derailleur (you can retrofit the cogwheel to any 00-06 Record/Chorus shifter). BUT Mirage/Veloce/Centaur now have the much cheaper internal workings from the 00-06 Xenon shifters. If I were you, I'd be looking for deals on '06 old stock, not being tempted to pay a premium for '07, especially for those lower groups.

3. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Length-wise they are not. Also instead of campy cables, get generic ones (avid or jagwire) that you can buy by the meter and then cut them to length. They're cheaper and works just as well.