Cable inners rattling on top tube.

Hi all,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes a near-silent bike. My v-
braked RockHopper has an exposed brake cable inner routed along the
top tube. When brand-spanking-new from the EBC, there were three
rubber-y whotsits that prevented the cable slapping the top tube.
(Little friction-fit, donut-shaped 'washers'). These migrated slowly
towards the seatpost with time, and every few days, I would restore
them to the quarter points of the cable.

Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.

Suggestions from the wise appreciated,
Michael.

[email protected] wrote:

> Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.

Replace the exposed cable with a guided one, which you can secure to the
tube with cable ties. Or learn to live with it, or retrofit HS-33s...
or turn up your walkman ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Response to :
> When brand-spanking-new from the EBC, there were three
> rubber-y whotsits that prevented the cable slapping the top tube.
> (Little friction-fit, donut-shaped 'washers'). These migrated slowly
> towards the seatpost with time, and every few days, I would restore
> them to the quarter points of the cable.
>
> Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.

What *I* would do would be to get some of those rubber bands that
posties keep dropping, and tie them tightly round the top tube under the
cable; they would dampen the noise of the cable, and might - if you're
lucky - stop the little rubber doughnuts from migrating.

They'd also make the bike look naff and undesirable to thieves, a fine
idea IMO.

--
Mark, UK
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all different."

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes a near-silent bike. My v-
> braked RockHopper has an exposed brake cable inner routed along the
> top tube. When brand-spanking-new from the EBC, there were three
> rubber-y whotsits that prevented the cable slapping the top tube.
> (Little friction-fit, donut-shaped 'washers'). These migrated slowly
> towards the seatpost with time, and every few days, I would restore
> them to the quarter points of the cable.
>
> Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.
>
> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,
> Michael.

increase the tension of the brakesprings (use another hole on the
brakepivots)
fix the donuts with a blob of siliconesealant

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On 30 Jul, 14:50, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> <snip question>
>
> Replace the exposed cable with a guided one, which you can secure to the
> tube with cable ties. Or learn to live with it, or retrofit HS-33s...
> or turn up your walkman ;-)
>
> Pete.
> --

I suspect they always expected me to retrofit disc brakes; disc-
specific hubs and frame attachment points as standard.

I may look to route a continuous sheathed cable along the intended
disc cable route, which already has cable tie slots....

thanks,
m.

On 30 Jul, 14:56, Mark McNeill <[email protected]> wrote:
> Response to :
>
> > When brand-spanking-new from the EBC, there were three
> > rubber-y whotsits that prevented the cable slapping the top tube.
> > (Little friction-fit, donut-shaped 'washers'). These migrated slowly
> > towards the seatpost with time, and every few days, I would restore
> > them to the quarter points of the cable.

> > Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> > length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> > slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> > to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> > few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.

> What *I* would do would be to get some of those rubber bands that
> posties keep dropping, and tie them tightly round the top tube under the
> cable; they would dampen the noise of the cable, and might - if you're
> lucky - stop the little rubber doughnuts from migrating.
>
> They'd also make the bike look naff and undesirable to thieves, a fine
> idea IMO.
>
> --
> Mark, UK
> "You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all different."

I was hoping to avoid over-naffness. While detering theives is a Good
Thing, the bike has yet to be left locked unattended, and so its not a
huge issue. (v secure indoor parking at work). Wrapping the entire top
tube in ex-inner tube has also occured to me.

M.

On 30 Jul, 15:02, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi all,

> < snip qiestion>
>
> > Suggestions from the wise appreciated,
> > Michael.

> increase the tension of the brakesprings (use another hole on the
> brakepivots)
> fix the donuts with a blob of siliconesealant
>
> --
> /Marten

M-gineering,

I'll try the silicon idea, assuming one of the approx 4 tubes I have
open hasn't fully cured.

Thanks,
M.

On 30 Jul, 14:43, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,
> Michael.

Glue? Just stick the little buggers in place.

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> writes:

> On 30 Jul, 14:43, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,
>> Michael.

> Glue? Just stick the little buggers in place.

The answer is always duct tape. Whatever the cycle repair question is
:)

On 30/07/2007 14:43, [email protected] said,

> Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.

I haven't tried it, but how about sticking Lizard Skin frame protection
patches under the cables? They're quite squidgy, so might stop the
rattle. The cheap option is those old-fashioned thick puncture repair
pads :)

> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,

Err.... oh!!!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

[email protected] wrote:

> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,

Superglue the donuts in place (but not too close to the cable stops or
the cable won't be able to move freely

Tony

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:49:47 +0100, Paul Rudin
> <[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:
>
>> The answer is always duct tape.

> Funnely enough that was precisely what occurred to me.

Well it is like the The Force - it has a dark side and a light side and
it holds the Universe together.

IGMC

Tony

[email protected] wrote:
<snip>

> Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.
>
> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,
> Michael.

I've got a supersize chainstay protector pad thingy wrapped around the
top tube on my trance to stop just such an annoyance (although i think
it's gear cables rattling on mine)

I used it purely as it was spare, at 7 quid or so it's possibly a tad
pricy for rattle prevention.

Jeff

Paul Rudin wrote:

>CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> writes:

>> Glue? Just stick the little buggers in place.

>The answer is always duct tape. Whatever the cycle repair question is.

I have stuck reflectors on the pedals of my commuter/folder with it,
but isn't there a word too many in that last sentence >:)

In news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes a near-silent bike. My v-
> braked RockHopper has an exposed brake cable inner routed along the
> top tube. When brand-spanking-new from the EBC, there were three
> rubber-y whotsits that prevented the cable slapping the top tube.
> (Little friction-fit, donut-shaped 'washers'). These migrated slowly
> towards the seatpost with time, and every few days, I would restore
> them to the quarter points of the cable.
>
> Their training has paid off however, and they can now migate the
> length of the cable in a single commute. This results in the cable
> slapping the top tube and sounding something like someone attempting
> to play duelling banjo's on the spoons. (My commute takes in quite a
> few cobbled streets). It's driving me nuts.
>
> Suggestions from the wise appreciated,

I solved this problem on my Trek 4300 by fitting it with hydraulic disc
brakes, but I suspect that's not quite what you want to hear :)

--
Dave Larrington
Me, I wanna be an anglepoise lamp, yeah!

> I solved this problem on my Trek 4300 by fitting it with hydraulic
> disc brakes, but I suspect that's not quite what you want to hear :)

Yeah, "time for a new bike" is what he wanted :)

On 31 Jul, 09:49, Mark
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:
> > I solved this problem on my Trek 4300 by fitting it with hydraulic
> > disc brakes, but I suspect that's not quite what you want to hear :)

> Yeah, "time for a new bike" is what he wanted :)

Mark,

This *is* the new bike. Not even regulars here would justify another
new bike to prevent cable rattle, would they?

M.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 31 Jul, 09:49, Mark
> <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>>> I solved this problem on my Trek 4300 by fitting it with hydraulic
>>> disc brakes, but I suspect that's not quite what you want to hear :)

>> Yeah, "time for a new bike" is what he wanted :)

> Mark,
>
> This *is* the new bike. Not even regulars here would justify another
> new bike to prevent cable rattle, would they?

No, we don't need an excuse to justify a new bike ;-)

Tony