Cable lube gadget

Rg

Guest
At an LBS (not actually local to me, and I forget where - but you know what I mean) I saw a gadget
for lubing cables - you seemed to clamp it around the outer where the cable inner emerged and then
squirt lube into a nipple using the very fine tube on an aerosol, the lube then ran through the
outer cable and did the job.

Does anyone know who makes/sells these (in the UK) - just for clarity, I have found some nipple
things that fit onto cables permanently, but I don't mean those - this thing is a "tool" that you
use on any cable.

Thanks

RG

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> At an LBS (not actually local to me, and I forget where - but you know
what
> I mean) I saw a gadget for lubing cables - you seemed to clamp it around
the
> outer where the cable inner emerged and then squirt lube into a nipple
using
> the very fine tube on an aerosol, the lube then ran through the outer
cable
> and did the job.
>
> Does anyone know who makes/sells these (in the UK) - just for clarity, I have found some nipple
> things that fit onto cables permanently, but I
don't
> mean those - this thing is a "tool" that you use on any cable.
>
> Thanks
>
> RG

I bought one in ages past for lubing my mtn cables, but haven't used it in ages. Doesn't do as good
a job as pulling the housing loose from the frame and doing it manually. I'm not even sure they make
it any more.

With the lined housing that's out now I'm not sure its even a good idea to lube your cables like
that any more, to tell you the truth.

Anyone else with a more recent knowledge base care to comment?

Mike

Motorcycle shops and supply houses have this sort of thing. I got one as part of a parts order for
my Royal Enfield, but I have not yet used it so I have no evaluation for you.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

>From: Ted Bennett [email protected]

Motorcycle shops and supply houses have this sort of thing. I got one as part of a parts order for
my Royal Enfield, but I have not yet used it so I have no evaluation for you.

It's pretty much a standard tool, and is part of the factory Harley-Davidson mandated kit. I'm a
trained tech with the emphasis on older models and my prized vintage Brits. It's a really great
tool as long as you allow the lube to be forced all the way through the cable. Bill C

In article <[email protected]>, Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:

>I bought one in ages past for lubing my mtn cables, but haven't used it in ages. Doesn't do as good
>a job as pulling the housing loose from the frame and doing it manually. I'm not even sure they
>make it any more.

I think those things are basically motorcycle cable lubricators, designed for injecting lube without
taking the cable out of its anchor. I never thought they worked very well, but I'm pretty sure they
are still out there.

If you search google for "motorcycle cable lubricator" you should turn up some of those
little gizmos.

--Paul

RG wrote:
> At an LBS (not actually local to me, and I forget where - but you know what I mean) I saw a gadget
> for lubing cables - you seemed to clamp it around the outer where the cable inner emerged and then
> squirt lube into a nipple using the very fine tube on an aerosol, the lube then ran through the
> outer cable and did the job.
>
> Does anyone know who makes/sells these (in the UK) - just for clarity, I have found some nipple
> things that fit onto cables permanently, but I don't mean those - this thing is a "tool" that you
> use on any cable.

Motorcycle shops have 'em.

Work great! I put a rag on each side (you get a little of spray out of the "sealed" side as well as
the other side. Spray until you don't see a ring of crud around the unsealed side at the rag -- then
give it another squirt to make sure. You'd be amazed how much crud can come out of a rear brake
cable that's been ridden on snowy roads around here (cinders) :).

Any can lube'll work. I usually use LPS (not the silicone). Even WD-40's ok here :). You want REALLY
THIN lube if you're doing the rear DR on a 9 speed or it'll make the DR slow to downshift. With the
rear DR, sometimes a little grit's better then a little oil when it comes to shifting...

David

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:bCuda.33596$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
> >
> >I bought one in ages past for lubing my mtn cables, but haven't used it
in
> >ages. Doesn't do as good a job as pulling the housing loose from the
frame
> >and doing it manually. I'm not even sure they make it any more.
> >

> I think those things are basically motorcycle cable lubricators, designed for injecting lube
> without taking the cable out of its anchor. I never thought they worked very well, but I'm pretty
> sure they are still out there.
>
> If you search google for "motorcycle cable lubricator" you should turn up some of those
> little gizmos.
>
> --Paul

Most famous make is scottoiler ...

The specific bicycle oiler is here http://www.scottoiler.com/active.htm

If your after proper bicycle ones, your best bet is www.middleburn.co.uk

David

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> At an LBS (not actually local to me, and I forget where - but you know
what
> I mean) I saw a gadget for lubing cables - you seemed to clamp it around
the
> outer where the cable inner emerged and then squirt lube into a nipple
using
> the very fine tube on an aerosol, the lube then ran through the outer
cable
> and did the job.
>
> Does anyone know who makes/sells these (in the UK) - just for clarity, I have found some nipple
> things that fit onto cables permanently, but I
don't
> mean those - this thing is a "tool" that you use on any cable.
>
> Thanks
>
> RG

hello DT! well actually the home mech can cut a small diameter fuel line, slit lengthwise clamp
and clamp shim to desired tightness THEN pour liquid into the upended fuel line and cable
surrounding reservoir, jiggle the cable and presto instant gizmoid!! witness "DIY" and "DIY bike
cable luber in bike.tech