Cable lube tool

Rg

Guest
Can anyone help here please ?

Having seen the guy at the LBS use a cable lube gadget (he doesn't sell them for some reason) I
managed to buy one - but can't for the life of me see how it works !

The gadget can be seen at http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/mcycle-4/mcycle-4.html
- about half way down the page.

You take the cable outer end out of the frame stop, clamp the gadget on and squirt lube from an
aerosol with a fine tube - BUT HOW DOES THE CABLE go through the gadget ???

Thanks

RG

... doubtless the ever-helpful Sheldon "Cable Lube" Brown will know !!

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone help here please ?
>
> Having seen the guy at the LBS use a cable lube gadget (he doesn't sell
them
> for some reason) I managed to buy one - but can't for the life of me see
how
> it works !
>
> The gadget can be seen at

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/mcycle-4/mcycle-4.html -
> about half way down the page.
>
> You take the cable outer end out of the frame stop, clamp the gadget on
and
> squirt lube from an aerosol with a fine tube - BUT HOW DOES THE CABLE go through the gadget ???
>
> Thanks
>
> RG
>
> ... doubtless the ever-helpful Sheldon "Cable Lube" Brown will know !!

This is a classic item, used in the motorcycle industry for over 20 years, works well too. It's
small, about the size of your pinky finger to the second knuckle. There is a lengthwise slit in the
rubber piece, and when the thumbscrew is turned the rubber compresses and seals the slit.

RG wrote:
> Can anyone help here please ?
>
> Having seen the guy at the LBS use a cable lube gadget (he doesn't sell them for some reason) I
> managed to buy one - but can't for the life of me see how it works !
>
> The gadget can be seen at
> http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/mcycle-4/mcycle-4.html - about half way down
> the page.
>
> You take the cable outer end out of the frame stop, clamp the gadget on and squirt lube from an
> aerosol with a fine tube - BUT HOW DOES THE CABLE go through the gadget ???
>
> Thanks
>
> RG
>
> ... doubtless the ever-helpful Sheldon "Cable Lube" Brown will know !!

Open is all of the way (unscrew the screw). Put the cable in the slot with the wire hanging out of
the end with no real opening and the cable housing goes in as far as it can on the other side. The
inside is probably ridged for different sizes of housings and a bike cable is the smallest that it
can get. Tighten the screw. It's easier to put the spray lube tube into the hole before tightening
all of the way. Make sure it's tight to minimize how much of the lube escapes out of the cable side.
I put a rag over each side: one at the cable and one at the end of the housing that's not in the
luber -- to keep from spraying everything else around (especially disc rotors! ). Then spray -- be
generous so that it'll carry all of the dirt and grit out of the housing as well as lube it.

David

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Qo2ja.77510$Zo.17879@sccrnsc03...

> "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone help here please ?
> >
> > Having seen the guy at the LBS use a cable lube gadget (he doesn't sell
> them
> > for some reason) I managed to buy one - but can't for the life of me see
> how
> > it works !
> >
> > The gadget can be seen at

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/mcycle-4/mcycle-4.html -
> > about half way down the page.
> >
> > You take the cable outer end out of the frame stop, clamp the gadget on
> and
> > squirt lube from an aerosol with a fine tube - BUT HOW DOES THE CABLE go through the gadget ???
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > RG
> >
> > ... doubtless the ever-helpful Sheldon "Cable Lube" Brown will know !!
>
> This is a classic item, used in the motorcycle industry for over 20 years, works well too. It's
> small, about the size of your pinky finger to the second knuckle. There is a lengthwise slit in
> the rubber piece, and when
the
> thumbscrew is turned the rubber compresses and seals the slit.

.... you refer to the "lengthwise slit" in the rubber insert - I had assumed that it must be
something like that BUT there is no slit in the rubber ! - presumably I make the slit myself with a
scalpel/craft knife ??

RG

Other than the last short piece of housing before the rear derailleur, how does dirt and grit get
into the housing in the first place?

Paul Kopit wrote:
> Other than the last short piece of housing before the rear derailleur, how does dirt and grit get
> into the housing in the first place?
>
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:44:03 GMT, David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I put a rag over each side: one at the cable and one at the end of the housing that's not in the
>>luber -- to keep from spraying everything else around (especially disc rotors! ). Then spray -- be
>>generous so that it'll carry all of the dirt and grit out of the housing as well as lube it.

Road dust will get in there by settling on the cable and then when you activate the cable (brake or
shift), it gets carried in, puddles will also get stuff on the cables which will get in the same
way. And, I ride rain or shine :). And, I also ride a mountain bike and sometimes those housings are
totally under water :).

David

I don't know much about MTB and live in SoCal so it rarely rains. I also use Ergo levers. The
exposed cable at the cable stop is high up and protected somewhat by the cable stop. I really don't
do much with brake cable or housing.