cable oiling

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner and
    the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little pressurised
    gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like that for the
    Brompton's brake and gear cables? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get very messy
    and gritty.

    Thanks SW

    Tags:

  2. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the
    inner
    > and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
    > pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
    > that for the Brompton's brake and gear cables? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can
    > get very messy and
    gritty.

    I don't think you are supposed to oil cables.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Steve Watkin wrote:
    > How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner and
    > the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little pressurised
    > gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like that for the
    > Brompton's brake and gear cables? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get very messy
    > and gritty.

    The job shouldn't need doing very often and a large amount of lubricant is not really required, but
    there are "inline" gismos that help if you love a lot o' lube, eg.
    www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm - cable spares

    Personally, I just smear the inner cables with oil or thin grease when fitting, which seems
    sufficient -- or just used prelubed Campag outers -- and then change every now and then, instead of
    re-lubricating them.

    ~PB

  4. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the
    > inner
    > > and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
    > > pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
    > > that for the Brompton's brake and gear cables? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can
    > > get very messy and
    > gritty.
    > >

    > I don't think you are supposed to oil cables.

    I find it essential to both clean and lubricate gear cables for indexing to work properly. The last
    bit of outer/inner cable to the rear mech in particular, with its low, exposed, forward-facing
    openings, collects grot. As I have cable splitters (on a Moulton), it's relatively easy to undo and
    pull out the inner to clean and oil it. Usually cures indexing problems to provide clean changes
    both up and down.

    I use a teflon lubricant, think it was from Halfords.

  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Orienteer must be edykated coz e writed:

    > "Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > I find it essential to both clean and lubricate gear cables for indexing to work properly. The
    > last bit of outer/inner cable to the rear mech in particular, with its low, exposed,
    > forward-facing openings, collects grot. As I have cable splitters (on a Moulton), it's relatively
    > easy to undo and pull out the inner to clean and oil it. Usually cures indexing problems to
    > provide clean changes both up and down.
    >
    > I use a teflon lubricant, think it was from Halfords.

    I put a spot of 3 in 1 at the top of my gear cables now and then and let gravity and use do the
    work, no problems in the last 2 years so it must work.

    Ian

  6. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    > I don't think you are supposed to oil cables.

    I seem to recall a post recommending grease for brake cables and oil for gear cables, probably for
    mtb's, but I dont remember the origins or the reason for the post. Mike

  7. "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> writes:

    >How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner and
    >the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little pressurised
    >gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like that for the
    >Brompton's brake and gear cables? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get very messy
    >and gritty.

    You could get one of the motorbike gizmos. Works for bike cables too. Even cheaper just fabricate
    a small funnel and tape to cable, pour in some oil, hang up high, and leave alone while gravity
    works for you.

    But don't oil nylon sheathed cables (self lubricating, oil spoils them).
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
    Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:38:20 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do you do it?

    The answer, as always, is here: <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html>

    Guy
    ===

  9. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Orienteer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I don't think you are supposed to oil cables.
    > >

    > I find it essential to both clean and lubricate gear cables for indexing
    > work properly. The last bit of outer/inner cable to the rear mech in particular, with its low,
    > exposed, forward-facing openings, collects grot. As I have cable splitters (on a Moulton), it's
    > relatively easy to undo and pull out the inner to clean and oil it. Usually cures indexing
    > problems to provide clean changes both up and down.
    >
    > I use a teflon lubricant, think it was from Halfords.

    My cables are stainless steel the sheaths are plastic lined, I assumed Bromptons also used the
    modern low friction stuff.

    So what is the point of oiling it will just attract dirt and degrade the plastic sheath?

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Frank X wrote:
    > My cables are stainless steel the sheaths are plastic lined, I assumed Bromptons also used the
    > modern low friction stuff.
    >
    > So what is the point of oiling it will just attract dirt and degrade the plastic sheath?

    That's a good point. But /will/ the plastic definitely be degraded - say within 18 months?
    Specifically, does anyone know about Campag cables in this respect?

    cheers ~Pete