cable oiling?

Steve Watkin

Guest
How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
very messy and gritty.

Thanks SW

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
> and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
> pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
> that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
> very messy and gritty.

Modern cable housings have a poly liner that don't seem to need oil. If you feel the need, though,
you should pull the cable and wipe it with a slighly oily rag,then reinsert into the housing.

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
> and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
> pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
> that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
> very messy and gritty.
>
> Thanks SW

I just use a lot of spray oil (Tri-flow) on all moving parts(except carefully avoiding brake pads).
It eventually meant replacing the chain on my 20 year veteran (used Bull Shot oil) but I am not a
fan of cleaning parts like a fanatic!

I thought about inventing a self-oiler where you attach the can to the frame to oil while riding,
but it turns out easier for me to just make a mess, and the overspray I wipe off is sort of a polish
for my yellow feames.

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

On 23 Jun 2003 08:46:42 -0700, [email protected] (John Foltz) wrote:

>"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
>> and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
>> pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
>> that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
>> very messy and gritty.
>>
>Modern cable housings have a poly liner that don't seem to need oil. If you feel the need, though,
>you should pull the cable and wipe it with a slighly oily rag,then reinsert into the housing.
----------
I've mentioned before on this newsgroup, and, it seems, hasn't gained wide acceptance, but a
perfectly good all-weather cable lube is easily performed by:

1. Form a folded paper trough.
2. Pour a pile of powdered graphite into it.
3. Drag the cable thru several times enroute to the housing.
4. Great cable lube, coated housing or not.
5. Particularly on long recumbent cables I like to use a Rollamajig to ease the cable thru the
final tight bend to the cassette.
6. Smooth butter shifting thru 9-cogs, barcons, and a long-chain advantage to use with the
front rings.

Bruce Ball on the blue Horizon,

riding 2x years DFs because of broken Haluzak seat frame; the weak spot of the Horizon.

On 23 Jun 2003 10:26:08 -0700, [email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote:
>I thought about inventing a self-oiler where you attach the can to the frame to oil while riding,
>but it turns out easier for me to just make a mess, and the overspray I wipe off is sort of a
>polish for my yellow feames.

They do make a self-oiler! The Rohloff Lubmatic:

http://www.rohloff.de/english/products/lubmatic/lubmatic.htm

(Yes, the same company that makes the 14-speed internal hub) Ken Kobayashi
[email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/