cable oiling?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Steve Watkin, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
    and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
    pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
    that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
    very messy and gritty.

    Thanks SW

    Tags:

  2. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
    > and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
    > pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
    > that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
    > very messy and gritty.

    Modern cable housings have a poly liner that don't seem to need oil. If you feel the need, though,
    you should pull the cable and wipe it with a slighly oily rag,then reinsert into the housing.

  3. "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
    > and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
    > pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
    > that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
    > very messy and gritty.
    >
    > Thanks SW

    I just use a lot of spray oil (Tri-flow) on all moving parts(except carefully avoiding brake pads).
    It eventually meant replacing the chain on my 20 year veteran (used Bull Shot oil) but I am not a
    fan of cleaning parts like a fanatic!

    I thought about inventing a self-oiler where you attach the can to the frame to oil while riding,
    but it turns out easier for me to just make a mess, and the overspray I wipe off is sort of a polish
    for my yellow feames.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  4. bball

    bball Guest

    On 23 Jun 2003 08:46:42 -0700, [email protected] (John Foltz) wrote:

    >"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> How do you do it? It seems to take forever trying to dribble the oil down in between the inner
    >> and the outer! I remember that when I had a motorbike many years ago there was a little
    >> pressurised gismo that forced the oil through the cables pretty quickly. I there anything like
    >> that for long cables with lots of "outer"? And also what's a good lube. cos ordinary oil can get
    >> very messy and gritty.
    >>
    >Modern cable housings have a poly liner that don't seem to need oil. If you feel the need, though,
    >you should pull the cable and wipe it with a slighly oily rag,then reinsert into the housing.
    ----------
    I've mentioned before on this newsgroup, and, it seems, hasn't gained wide acceptance, but a
    perfectly good all-weather cable lube is easily performed by:

    1. Form a folded paper trough.
    2. Pour a pile of powdered graphite into it.
    3. Drag the cable thru several times enroute to the housing.
    4. Great cable lube, coated housing or not.
    5. Particularly on long recumbent cables I like to use a Rollamajig to ease the cable thru the
    final tight bend to the cassette.
    6. Smooth butter shifting thru 9-cogs, barcons, and a long-chain advantage to use with the
    front rings.

    Bruce Ball on the blue Horizon,

    riding 2x years DFs because of broken Haluzak seat frame; the weak spot of the Horizon.

  5. On 23 Jun 2003 10:26:08 -0700, [email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote:
    >I thought about inventing a self-oiler where you attach the can to the frame to oil while riding,
    >but it turns out easier for me to just make a mess, and the overspray I wipe off is sort of a
    >polish for my yellow feames.

    They do make a self-oiler! The Rohloff Lubmatic:

    http://www.rohloff.de/english/products/lubmatic/lubmatic.htm

    (Yes, the same company that makes the 14-speed internal hub) Ken Kobayashi
    [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/