Cable outers. Any colour you like so long as...

Procerus

Guest
Hi,

can anyone help me? Years ago you used to be able to buy
brake/gear cable outer in a variety of colours. I built many
machines with nicely coordinated colours on the frame, bar
tape and cables.

Now it seems you can only have black, white and "silver"
(actually grey).

I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a fixed
wheel machine I'm building (just the front brake so it's the
only cable on the thing so it *matters*, dammit!). I have
visited and phoned literally dozens of bike shops. They
fondly reminisce with me about all the colours you *used* to
be able to get before saying they can't help.

Does anyone know where I can buy blue cable outer? Or a
complete cable of any kind in blue? This bike is crying
out for some!

TIA Matt

PS Parker International have sold out of the Corsa brake
cable set in blue for those of you who read the
catalogues as thoroughly as I do... :-(

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> procerus wrote:
> > I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
> > fixed wheel machine I'm building
>
> blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm

Okay, thanks Pete. It's close but it's not going to be
long enough. The "Clark's road front brake cable...
blue..." isn't going to be able to run along inside the
tape on the Airwing bars and then down the long head tube
(it's a 62cm frame). I need at least 3 feet and, to be
safe, I'd prefer 4!

Any other helpful people got a suggestion?

Matt

procerus wrote:

> "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> procerus wrote:
>> > I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
>> > fixed wheel machine I'm building
>>
>> blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm
>>

> Okay, thanks Pete. It's close but it's not going to be
> long enough. The "Clark's road front brake cable...
> blue..." isn't going to be able to run along inside the
> tape on the Airwing bars and then down the long head tube
> (it's a 62cm frame). I need at least 3 feet and, to be
> safe, I'd prefer 4!
>
> Any other helpful people got a suggestion?
>
> Matt

Maybe coloured heatshrink tubing around the brake cable
(at a price)?

AC

procerus wrote:

> "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> procerus wrote:
>> > I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
>> > fixed wheel machine I'm building
>>
>> blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm
>>

> Okay, thanks Pete. It's close but it's not going to be
> long enough. The "Clark's road front brake cable...
> blue..." isn't going to be able to run along inside the
> tape on the Airwing bars and then down the long head tube
> (it's a 62cm frame). I need at least 3 feet and, to be
> safe, I'd prefer 4!
>
> Any other helpful people got a suggestion?
>
> Matt

Maybe coloured heatshrink tubing around the brake cable
(at a price)?

AC

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:27:53 +0000 (UTC), "procerus"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>can anyone help me? Years ago you used to be able to buy
>brake/gear cable outer in a variety of colours. I built
>many machines with nicely coordinated colours on the frame,
>bar tape and cables.
>
>Now it seems you can only have black, white and "silver"
>(actually grey).
>
>Does anyone know where I can buy blue cable outer? Or a
>complete cable of any kind in blue? This bike is crying out
>for some!

Don't know about where to get outer but I have an idea if
you can't.

Have you come across heat shrink cable wrap? It's a thin
tube you slide over electrical cable joins and heat and it
shrinks to fit perfectly. How about getting some white cable
outer and putting blue heat-shrink over it?

Summat like this:

http://www.twinternational.com/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_Clic-
k_here_to_purchase_Heatshrink_Kits_611.html
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

Pete Biggs wrote:

> procerus wrote:
>
>>I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
>>fixed wheel machine I'm building
>

> blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm
>
> red: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item-
> =3666210766

Celeste pops up occasionally for that retro 70s
Bianchi look.