Cable outers. Any colour you like so long as...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Procerus, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Procerus

    Procerus Guest

    Hi,

    can anyone help me? Years ago you used to be able to buy
    brake/gear cable outer in a variety of colours. I built many
    machines with nicely coordinated colours on the frame, bar
    tape and cables.

    Now it seems you can only have black, white and "silver"
    (actually grey).

    I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a fixed
    wheel machine I'm building (just the front brake so it's the
    only cable on the thing so it *matters*, dammit!). I have
    visited and phoned literally dozens of bike shops. They
    fondly reminisce with me about all the colours you *used* to
    be able to get before saying they can't help.

    Does anyone know where I can buy blue cable outer? Or a
    complete cable of any kind in blue? This bike is crying
    out for some!

    TIA Matt

    PS Parker International have sold out of the Corsa brake
    cable set in blue for those of you who read the
    catalogues as thoroughly as I do... :-(

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  3. Procerus

    Procerus Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > procerus wrote:
    > > I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
    > > fixed wheel machine I'm building
    >
    > blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm

    Okay, thanks Pete. It's close but it's not going to be
    long enough. The "Clark's road front brake cable...
    blue..." isn't going to be able to run along inside the
    tape on the Airwing bars and then down the long head tube
    (it's a 62cm frame). I need at least 3 feet and, to be
    safe, I'd prefer 4!

    Any other helpful people got a suggestion?

    Matt

  4. Procerus

  5. procerus wrote:

    > "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> procerus wrote:
    >> > I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
    >> > fixed wheel machine I'm building
    >>
    >> blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm
    >>

    > Okay, thanks Pete. It's close but it's not going to be
    > long enough. The "Clark's road front brake cable...
    > blue..." isn't going to be able to run along inside the
    > tape on the Airwing bars and then down the long head tube
    > (it's a 62cm frame). I need at least 3 feet and, to be
    > safe, I'd prefer 4!
    >
    > Any other helpful people got a suggestion?
    >
    > Matt

    Maybe coloured heatshrink tubing around the brake cable
    (at a price)?

    AC

  6. procerus wrote:

    > "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> procerus wrote:
    >> > I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
    >> > fixed wheel machine I'm building
    >>
    >> blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm
    >>

    > Okay, thanks Pete. It's close but it's not going to be
    > long enough. The "Clark's road front brake cable...
    > blue..." isn't going to be able to run along inside the
    > tape on the Airwing bars and then down the long head tube
    > (it's a 62cm frame). I need at least 3 feet and, to be
    > safe, I'd prefer 4!
    >
    > Any other helpful people got a suggestion?
    >
    > Matt

    Maybe coloured heatshrink tubing around the brake cable
    (at a price)?

    AC

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  9. Procerus

    Procerus Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would you be prepared to import from the States?......
    >
    > Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown's) sells blue cable....
    >
    > see:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cable+housing+colored

    Okay, I'll email Harris Cyclery. Funnily enough I
    already imported the bike's rear cog from them a couple
    of weeks ago!

    Thanks Pete!

  10. Procerus

    Procerus Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would you be prepared to import from the States?......
    >
    > Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown's) sells blue cable....
    >
    > see:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cable+housing+colored

    Okay, I'll email Harris Cyclery. Funnily enough I
    already imported the bike's rear cog from them a couple
    of weeks ago!

    Thanks Pete!

  11. Fm

    Fm Guest

  12. Bens

    Bens Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:27:53 +0000 (UTC), "procerus"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >can anyone help me? Years ago you used to be able to buy
    >brake/gear cable outer in a variety of colours. I built
    >many machines with nicely coordinated colours on the frame,
    >bar tape and cables.
    >
    >Now it seems you can only have black, white and "silver"
    >(actually grey).
    >
    >Does anyone know where I can buy blue cable outer? Or a
    >complete cable of any kind in blue? This bike is crying out
    >for some!

    Don't know about where to get outer but I have an idea if
    you can't.

    Have you come across heat shrink cable wrap? It's a thin
    tube you slide over electrical cable joins and heat and it
    shrinks to fit perfectly. How about getting some white cable
    outer and putting blue heat-shrink over it?

    Summat like this:

    http://www.twinternational.com/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_Clic-
    k_here_to_purchase_Heatshrink_Kits_611.html
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
    prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

  13. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > procerus wrote:
    >
    >>I'm after about 3' of blue cable outer to finish off a
    >>fixed wheel machine I'm building
    >

    > blue: www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat461.htm
    >
    > red: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item-
    > =3666210766

    Celeste pops up occasionally for that retro 70s
    Bianchi look.

  14. Procerus

    Procerus Guest