Cable Routing Question on XTR Rear Mech

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I recently bought a secondhand XTR RD-m951 rear derailler - its the model that came with the the
    third cable-guide pulley that acts the same as an avid "thingy-majig". Seemed like a good idea until
    I'm trying to fit
    it...

    I have a question about how to route the cable as I'm wondering if I'm missing a part of the
    derailler.

    After the cable goes around the cable pulley is it just suppose to go through the hole in the mech
    before it is attached by the cable bolt?

    It seems when I do this that the bare cable rubs the sides of the hole -am I suppose to have a cable
    ferral or something to act as a guide?

    I know I'm not explaining this very well but I cant find anything on the net that can give me a
    diagram of what the RD-M951 is suppose to look at. Even shimanos site doesnt list any exploded views
    or service instructions...

    An exploded parts diagram would be perfect or even a picture of a working set up would be useful as
    I just wanna make sure I have the inner and out cables running in the correct order.

    Thanks for any help you can supply...

    Tags:

  2. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    If I'm understanding your question. There should be a rubber boot then barrel adjuster before you
    get to the derailler, then after a rubber boot before you get to the cable bolt heres a picture what
    mine looks like (been bounced off a few rock lately):

    http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/xtr.jpg

    I'm not running one of those cable shorteners, just a larger loop and straight through shielded
    cable zip tied onto the frame. The XTR does not have the strongest spring so if you have exposed
    cable runs and ride dusty /muddy stuff the cables will affect shifting so I strongly recommend going
    with one shot of covered cable the whole run. I have 650 miles on this set-up the past 3 months
    riding dusty/sandy trails and have yet to adjust my rear derailler. Have fun!

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/