Cable stop for a 3-speed?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zilla, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    I have a 1973 Swchinn Speedster 3-speed with
    a Sturmey hub in the rear wheel. When I replaced
    the shift cable, the old one had a crimp at the end
    of the cable, just like the aglet at the end of a
    shoe lace (how many folks knew that's the name
    for that part? :). Where can I find this part? A regular
    brake or shifter cable stop is too big to fit into the
    cylinder the cable goes through. I soldered the
    end and the solder scraped off. Please advise.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    Tags:

  2. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > I have a 1973 Swchinn Speedster 3-speed with
    > a Sturmey hub in the rear wheel. When I replaced
    > the shift cable, the old one had a crimp at the end
    > of the cable, just like the aglet at the end of a
    > shoe lace (how many folks knew that's the name
    > for that part? :). Where can I find this part? A regular
    > brake or shifter cable stop is too big to fit into the
    > cylinder the cable goes through. I soldered the
    > end and the solder scraped off. Please advise.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    Any LBS can order these cables and cooler ones will have them in stock.
    It's J&B part #1408. I know that SBS has them too, and there are
    probably others (but those are 2 of the larger wholesalers). Both of
    these sell kits that come with the cable, housing, special ferrules,
    and anchor/release link "assembly" which contains parts I don't know
    the names for. What I've wondered about is where to get stainless ones.

  3. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > I have a 1973 Swchinn Speedster 3-speed with
    > a Sturmey hub in the rear wheel. When I replaced
    > the shift cable, the old one had a crimp at the end
    > of the cable, just like the aglet at the end of a
    > shoe lace (how many folks knew that's the name
    > for that part? :). Where can I find this part? A regular
    > brake or shifter cable stop is too big to fit into the
    > cylinder the cable goes through. I soldered the
    > end and the solder scraped off. Please advise.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    As always, Sheldon is Da Man:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-parts.html
    Note that the "universal" cables are somewhat less expensive than the
    "fixed-length" cable you describe. Either will work.

    Dang- my first multi-speed bike was a 1973 Schwinn Speedster. Fond
    memories...

    Jeff

  4. I usually take a regular shift cable and grind down the anchor-stop
    until it fits into the 3-speed shifter.

    Zilla wrote:
    > I have a 1973 Swchinn Speedster 3-speed with
    > a Sturmey hub in the rear wheel. When I replaced
    > the shift cable, the old one had a crimp at the end
    > of the cable, just like the aglet at the end of a
    > shoe lace (how many folks knew that's the name
    > for that part? :). Where can I find this part? A regular
    > brake or shifter cable stop is too big to fit into the
    > cylinder the cable goes through. I soldered the
    > end and the solder scraped off. Please advise.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

  5. I reread your post a third time and realized my previous answer was no
    good.

    I was thinking about the end of the cable that fits into the shifter,
    while you were talking about the end that attaches to the hub.

    I have run into your problem before and have usually replaced it with
    the type of "anchorage" that has a nut and bolt. But another time, I
    believe the crimped "aglet" you mention was not only crimped, but
    soldered as well. So I desoldered the aglet.Then, using plenty of flux
    and a good hot iron, I crimped it onto the new cable, and resoldered
    it.

    So you could try that, or you could buy the "extra anchorage" featured
    on this page:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-parts.html

    Peter

    Zilla wrote:
    > I have a 1973 Swchinn Speedster 3-speed with
    > a Sturmey hub in the rear wheel. When I replaced
    > the shift cable, the old one had a crimp at the end
    > of the cable, just like the aglet at the end of a
    > shoe lace (how many folks knew that's the name
    > for that part? :). Where can I find this part? A regular
    > brake or shifter cable stop is too big to fit into the
    > cylinder the cable goes through. I soldered the
    > end and the solder scraped off. Please advise.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I usually take a regular shift cable and grind down the anchor-stop
    > until it fits into the 3-speed shifter.

    Yes you can probably do that but why? SturmeyArcher type
    aftermarket shift cables are cheap and available.

    If Zilla's cable is otherwise fine but for the end near the
    hub, a cable anchorage (HSL-759) clamps on the trimmed cable
    with room to spare for less than half the cost of a complete
    cable.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Actually this is the first thing I tried, except I just
    tried to fit the capped end, which did NOT fit.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I usually take a regular shift cable and grind down the anchor-stop
    > until it fits into the 3-speed shifter.
    >
    > Zilla wrote:
    > > I have a 1973 Swchinn Speedster 3-speed with
    > > a Sturmey hub in the rear wheel. When I replaced
    > > the shift cable, the old one had a crimp at the end
    > > of the cable, just like the aglet at the end of a
    > > shoe lace (how many folks knew that's the name
    > > for that part? :). Where can I find this part? A regular
    > > brake or shifter cable stop is too big to fit into the
    > > cylinder the cable goes through. I soldered the
    > > end and the solder scraped off. Please advise.
    > >
    > > --
    > > - Zilla
    > > Cary, NC USA
    > > (Remove XSPAM)