Cable stop for rear V-Brake

Bob Taylor

Guest
I'd like to put a V-Brake on my Cannondale hybrid but it just has cable housing guides on the top
tube. Will a rear V-Brake work OK with cable housing run all the way from the brake lever to the
noodle? I have thought of using a pair of clamp-on cable stops (one near the front of the top tube,
ane the other near the rear). The problem is that the Cannondale top tube is 1.5" in diameter and
the only clamp-on cable stops I can find in that size are $20 each. Tektro ones cost about $6 but
I've not found them in the 1.5" size I need. Can anybody suggest a source of Tektro stops in the
size I need?

Thanks,
Bob

"Bob Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to put a V-Brake on my Cannondale hybrid but it just has cable housing guides on the
> top tube. Will a rear V-Brake work OK with cable housing run all the way from the brake lever to
> the noodle?

Yes, especially if you use good quality lined brake housing.

Ed Chait

Bob asks-<< I'd like to put a V-Brake on my Cannondale hybrid but it just has cable housing guides
on the top tube. Will a rear V-Brake work OK with cable housing run all the way from the brake lever
to the noodle?
>><BR><BR>

Yes, the V brake is really just a side pull brake.

Also QBP makes some clamp on cable stops that may fit your top tube diameter.

HI Ed,

I've had the same prob with my mtb over the last month or so two good options:

1. As you and qspc mentioned. You can run a cable housing all the way from brake lever to the Vbrake
in the back, a couple of zip ties will hold it to the top tube. This works almost perfect, but
you get a tad bit of scratching to your top tube whre grit wears under the zip ties, but at least
you dont have to worry about mud or water getting into your cable through the stops -which is
cool. Just try to use as little housing as poss to reduce more places for the cable to stretch
and flex on its journey...

2. You can buy some bolt on cable stops, one for each end of the top tube from most lbs. Just ask
them to order the correct diameter Tektro cable stop (available from quality), there are 3 to
choose from. Or you could order em yourself from Loose Screws http://www.thethirdhand.com/

look under brakes / cables section....

---good luck

news:[email protected]...