Cable stop for rear V-Brake

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob Taylor, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    I'd like to put a V-Brake on my Cannondale hybrid but it just has cable housing guides on the top
    tube. Will a rear V-Brake work OK with cable housing run all the way from the brake lever to the
    noodle? I have thought of using a pair of clamp-on cable stops (one near the front of the top tube,
    ane the other near the rear). The problem is that the Cannondale top tube is 1.5" in diameter and
    the only clamp-on cable stops I can find in that size are $20 each. Tektro ones cost about $6 but
    I've not found them in the 1.5" size I need. Can anybody suggest a source of Tektro stops in the
    size I need?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Ed Chait

    Ed Chait Guest

    "Bob Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to put a V-Brake on my Cannondale hybrid but it just has cable housing guides on the
    > top tube. Will a rear V-Brake work OK with cable housing run all the way from the brake lever to
    > the noodle?

    Yes, especially if you use good quality lined brake housing.

    Ed Chait

  3. Bob asks-<< I'd like to put a V-Brake on my Cannondale hybrid but it just has cable housing guides
    on the top tube. Will a rear V-Brake work OK with cable housing run all the way from the brake lever
    to the noodle?
    >><BR><BR>

    Yes, the V brake is really just a side pull brake.

    Also QBP makes some clamp on cable stops that may fit your top tube diameter.

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    HI Ed,

    I've had the same prob with my mtb over the last month or so two good options:

    1. As you and qspc mentioned. You can run a cable housing all the way from brake lever to the Vbrake
    in the back, a couple of zip ties will hold it to the top tube. This works almost perfect, but
    you get a tad bit of scratching to your top tube whre grit wears under the zip ties, but at least
    you dont have to worry about mud or water getting into your cable through the stops -which is
    cool. Just try to use as little housing as poss to reduce more places for the cable to stretch
    and flex on its journey...

    2. You can buy some bolt on cable stops, one for each end of the top tube from most lbs. Just ask
    them to order the correct diameter Tektro cable stop (available from quality), there are 3 to
    choose from. Or you could order em yourself from Loose Screws http://www.thethirdhand.com/

    look under brakes / cables section....

    ---good luck

    news:[email protected]...