cable stop question

thebeatcatcher

Nov 10, 2006
i am upgrading my downtube shifters to bar ends. i know i need the lever/shifter attachments for the ends and cable stops. i have Shimano SIS 7sp. i am seeing alot of cable stops on ebay and was wondering if there were any particular ones that won't work? (i'm looking at the ones that say shimano)

TIA, you all have been very helpful so far with my questions. thx

EDIT: also, if i'm not too concerned about indexing and would use fiction shifting, will most bar-end shifters (esp older ones) work? (i'm thinking i could find a better deal on those than buying the adapters and they might look better)

could i also just not use one of the spots on an 8 or 9 sp indexed?

thebeatcatcher said:
i am upgrading my downtube shifters to bar ends. i know i need the lever/shifter attachments for the ends and cable stops. i have Shimano SIS 7sp. i am seeing alot of cable stops on ebay and was wondering if there were any particular ones that won't work? (i'm looking at the ones that say shimano)

EDIT: also, if i'm not too concerned about indexing and would use fiction shifting, will most bar-end shifters (esp older ones) work? (i'm thinking i could find a better deal on those than buying the adapters and they might look better)

The SHIMANO stops presume that your frame has braze-on mounts for your downtube shifters.

If your downtube shifters are mounted to a clamp-on band, you can still use the Shimano stops.

If your frame has braze-on mounts, then you probably want to get a set that has the BOLTS ... if your frame's downtube shifters are clamped on, the bolts won't fit, and you will have to use the bolts which are currently securing your shifters to the clamp-on band.

thebeatcatcher said:

Shimano indexed bar-ends can be used in friction mode. Campy bar-ends are index only. If you only want friction, then yes older ones will work fine for you. 8 or 9s indexing are different from 7s and different from each other. You will NOT be able to index your standard 7s cassette/freewheel with an 8s or 9s shifter but you can use it in friction mode just fine.