Cable Ties on Lightning Seat

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bobinator, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Bobinator

    Bobinator Guest

    Has anyone replaced the string on a Lightning seat with cable ties? Was it an improvement? I like
    the lightning seat, but I don't like having to re-adjust the seat tension.

    Tags:

  2. John W

    John W Guest

    I tried it, believe me it does not work. Stay with the string,

    John

    "Bobinator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone replaced the string on a Lightning seat with cable ties? Was it an improvement? I like
    > the lightning seat, but I don't like having to re-adjust the seat tension.

  3. aaaack, NO avoid zipties. when you apply pressure to the seat material the elasticord allows the
    material to move with you. Use zipties and all you'll do is rip the seat fabric, grommets will tear
    apart the fabric....don't do it
    "Bobinator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone replaced the string on a Lightning seat with cable ties? Was it an improvement? I like
    > the lightning seat, but I don't like having to re-adjust the seat tension.

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Has anyone replaced the string on a Lightning seat with cable ties? Was it an improvement? I like
    > the lightning seat, but I don't like having to re-adjust the seat tension.

    I use a combination. I replaced the 1/8" LCD cord with Mammut 4mm Accessory Cord (REI) and several
    strategic cable ties. Every grommet has the cord through it and those near the back of the seatbase
    and along the front have additional cable ties.

    I have also reworked the lacing pattern of the seat. Since my seat is a two piece Voyager seat, I
    used one long length of cord beginning at the top middle of the back and lacing down along both
    sides of the seat back. The seat base is laced along either side and reinforced with extra wraps
    under the knees. I also use better cord locks than those supplied by LCD. I have not tightened my
    seat laces since I installed the new (larger) cord and cable ties last June.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    This is the second Lightning seat I have had with the Zipties. I weigh about 220lbs and have had no
    problems with the seat grommets ripping out. The weight is still distributed among the many holes
    and the seat material is very strong. Zack Kaplan has been doing his Lightning seats this way for
    quite awhile ,you may want to e-mail him about it. Ben fox "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > Has anyone replaced the string on a Lightning seat with cable ties? Was it an improvement? I
    > > like the lightning seat, but I don't like having to re-adjust the seat tension.
    >
    > I use a combination. I replaced the 1/8" LCD cord with Mammut 4mm
    Accessory Cord (REI) and
    > several strategic cable ties. Every grommet has the cord through it and
    those near the back of
    > the seatbase and along the front have additional cable ties.
    >
    > I have also reworked the lacing pattern of the seat. Since my seat is a
    two piece Voyager seat,
    > I used one long length of cord beginning at the top middle of the back and
    lacing down along
    > both sides of the seat back. The seat base is laced along either side and
    reinforced with
    > extra wraps under the knees. I also use better cord locks than those
    supplied by LCD. I have
    > not tightened my seat laces since I installed the new (larger) cord and
    cable ties last June.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. My Ti Rush came from the factory with heavy duty zip ties on the Koolback seat. Zero problems except
    for one "stripped" zip tie.

    --
    news:[email protected]...