Cable tightening

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Neale, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Neale

    Neale Guest

    My rear gear has just started to make a clicking noise from the rear - one click per wheel
    revolution, and has also become prone to slipping a gear when under load going up hill (Campag
    Mirage kit).

    I seem to have cured it by giving a few turns on the cable tensioner (the bike's about 6 month old
    with 600 miles on the clock)

    ...yes, pathetic, I know, but its not my only bike!

    ...anyway, am I likely to have sorted it, or do I need to be aware of some exact and arcane science
    re: cable tension??

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:49:19 +0100, "Neale" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My rear gear has just started to make a clicking noise from the rear - one click per wheel
    >revolution, and has also become prone to slipping a gear when under load going up hill (Campag
    >Mirage kit). I seem to have cured it by giving a few turns on the cable tensioner (the bike's about
    >6 month old with 600 miles on the clock)

    Campag must be adjusted only by specially trained virgins wearing white gloves.

    OK, not really. Campag's website has downloadable instructions: I would go and grab some and
    probably have a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com as well.

    The science of cable adjustment is fairly precise in my experience and worth learning the Proper
    Technique as it prolongs sprocket and chain life.

    Guy
    ===

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

    > Campag must be adjusted only by specially trained virgins wearing white gloves.

    Don't forget the ceremonial white robes.
    --
    mark