Cadel attacks and wins!

confusedfan

Aug 8, 2007
Stage 3, Coppi e Bartali, results here, or Italian live ticker here which says (according to babelfish) that Evans attacked from 10 km out and stayed ahead of the chasing Garzelli, Nibali, and Axelsson to win by 32 sec. :cool:

The requisite article containing lots and lots of exclamation points is at the Lotto team website but only in Dutch so far (their web guy is quite liberal with the exclamation points when one of their riders wins). :rolleyes:

confusedfan said:
Stage 3, Coppi e Bartali, results here, or Italian live ticker here which says (according to babelfish) that Evans attacked from 10 km out and stayed ahead of the chasing Garzelli, Nibali, and Axelsson to win by 32 sec. :cool:
Wow, his second attack of the season right? I.e his second attack in his career :p . Still, nice to see he's getting more aggressive in his riding.

Evans showing some serious strength and stamina! He is off to a great start this year. Garzelli's performance is also making a statement to Zomegnan, who did not invite his team to the Giro. Men like Simoni, Bruseghin, Honchar finishing way back. Nibili looking good for the Giro.
confusedfan said:

The requisite article containing lots and lots of exclamation points is at the Lotto team website but only in Dutch so far (their web guy is quite liberal with the exclamation points when one of their riders wins). :rolleyes:

Cheers mate!

Truly, something is wrong in cycling. Strange results come from France and Belgium. And Cadel attacks. :confused:

ilpirata said:
Evans showing some serious strength and stamina! He is off to a great start this year. Garzelli's performance is also making a statement to Zomegnan, who did not invite his team to the Giro. Men like Simoni, Bruseghin, Honchar finishing way back. Nibili looking good for the Giro.
True that, but riders like Garzelli should be riding their heart out now. They will have ample time to recuperate in May...

Video clip of highlights from yesterday's stage - unfortunately, no actual footage of Evans attacking, but good footage of his victory salute.

(Chicchi won today's stage - Evans still in the lead on GC).

Actual video evidence of Cadel attacking here (for fans, or for those who don't believe it possible :p ).

Evans came 6th in the final stage today to win the overall, his teammate Matt Lloyd dropped to 7th on GC from 6th because Sella got bonus seconds for his stage win today, but still a good result for Lloyd and should help him get a spot on Lotto's Tour team.

confusedfan said:
Actual video evidence of Cadel attacking here (for fans, or for those who don't believe it possible :p ).

Evans came 6th in the final stage today to win the overall, his teammate Matt Lloyd dropped to 7th on GC from 6th because Sella got bonus seconds for his stage win today, but still a good result for Lloyd and should help him get a spot on Lotto's Tour team.
Thanks confusedfan... Good to watch... :)

Are you a confused fan because its confusing that Evans attacked? Or confused because there is footage of it?

oely said:
Are you a confused fan because its confusing that Evans attacked? Or confused because there is footage of it?
:p Hey, I'm one of those who actually remember that Evans attacked in the 2005 Tour ... so I'm not confused that he attacked. Just helping those who don't believe, to see the light by providing the evidence ...

I picked my login name right after last year's Tour, when I was confused as to whether it was morally/ethically proper to be excited about having had a great trip to see the
Tour (including seeing Evans on the podium, and meeting lots of people, say such as at Malaucène) when there had been so many doping problems at the Tour...
(and yes, I realize that you have succeeded in your likely goal of trying to get me all defensive :rolleyes: ).

"In the past I have been beaten by cheats. Landis, Vinokourov... I know that it could happen again, but I will never search for a short cut." Cadel Evans

That quote from today's cyclingnews.com. Attacking riding style and attacking interview style. The new Cadel for the new cycling?

Rolfrae said:
"In the past I have been beaten by cheats. Landis, Vinokourov... I know that it could happen again, but I will never search for a short cut." Cadel Evans

That quote from today's cyclingnews.com. Attacking riding style and attacking interview style. The new Cadel for the new cycling?
You have to reserve judgement. He was on Saeco, Mapei and TMobile.

He said the testing procedures were working, and the UCI was doing a good job (during 2007 tour).

Cyclingheroes interviewed him when he was at TMobile, and Cadel said he was working with Ferrari.

His manager is Tony Rominger.

There are lots in that, which one could consider incongruent with a clean rider. He may be clean, and have had to compromise his PR communications so he does not make a rod for his own back. He may have accepted injections at those teams without querying what was in the cartridge. He may not have many options for an agent.

But he does not act like a cleanskin, say Mcgee. But even Brad Mcgee has worked for riders, and been a leadout man, chased breaks, for riders who were probably compromised. There are no 7 degrees of separation, only incest.

Rolfrae said:

It is good to see him ride more aggressively, but his words mean jack **** when it comes to whether he is clean or not. Wasn't it the last tour that somebody joined a protest against cheaters, and then was busted himself for cheating? BTW, I am not implying that he is cheating - just saying that his words cannot be used to interpret things one way or the other...

I like Cadel but that could be becuase he is an aussie who may well win this years tour but I also agree in the current climate you can not judge clean or doped by what one says.
One thing to consider though is that his comments about being beaten by cheaters could explain why didnt attack much previously. Maybe he knew going into the red to beat a cheater was futile.

hoggy said:
I like Cadel but that could be becuase he is an aussie who may well win this years tour but I also agree in the current climate you can not judge clean or doped by what one says.
One thing to consider though is that his comments about being beaten by cheaters could explain why didnt attack much previously. Maybe he knew going into the red to beat a cheater was futile.
thing is he is a whinger, and he sort of supported Rasmussen and Contador.

Lotto had the belief Rass was gonna get tossed quite early, but you never really hear him allege anything about Contador and Rass, and if Landis and Basso are cheats, then those others are equally.

Ofcourse, omerta.

I agree with you. One has to reserve judgement. It could be that he is riding clean. It is something very new for me that one rider has called other riders cheaters (riders that have had a non negative control). This is unheard of.
thunder said:
You have to reserve judgement. He was on Saeco, Mapei and TMobile.

He said the testing procedures were working, and the UCI was doing a good job (during 2007 tour).

Cyclingheroes interviewed him when he was at TMobile, and Cadel said he was working with Ferrari.

His manager is Tony Rominger.

There are lots in that, which one could consider incongruent with a clean rider. He may be clean, and have had to compromise his PR communications so he does not make a rod for his own back. He may have accepted injections at those teams without querying what was in the cartridge. He may not have many options for an agent.

But he does not act like a cleanskin, say Mcgee. But even Brad Mcgee has worked for riders, and been a leadout man, chased breaks, for riders who were probably compromised. There are no 7 degrees of separation, only incest.

ilpirata said:
I agree with you. One has to reserve judgement. It could be that he is riding clean. It is something very new for me that one rider has called other riders cheaters (riders that have had a non negative control). This is unheard of.
If Evans wants to ride clean and do something for the sport, no himself, call out Contador, Bruyneel and Armstrong for their sophistry.

Put the cards on the table about his association with Ferrari. I want to know if he had a relationship like Cyclingheroes and Suddenduetsche Zeitung attest. I want to know what went on at T-Mobile and if Schmidt et al injjected him with apoules he did not question.

Transparency. Not some platitude that "the UCI are doing a good job" in the midst of a very dirty Tour in '07, which ironically, was highlighted because there was an obvious 2 speeds, and more than the French were au lait.

At the moment he just offers up the bromide soundbite that they all do.

ilpirata said:
Was it Moreni who participated in a protest against dopers, and then tested positive himself? If he didn't test positive later, is there much difference between what he did and what Cadel has said now? It is due to such characters that there is zero credibility in what the riders say about themselves/others (unless they are spilling the beans that is).