Cadel Evans and the Maillot Juane

Mojo Johnson

Sep 11, 2008
The kiss of death for this bloke, isn't it?

It's a shame because he really has worked hard all season and continues to do so. I hope he can find a way to gain back some time in the latter stages and the penultimate TT. Otherwise it will end up another disappointing tour for this Aussie.

Bro Deal said:
Fractured arm. The dude is tough.

I thought it was Simon Gerrans who had a broken arm? He's out of the race. If Evans has a broken arm as well then at this rate half the field is going to have snapped a bone by the time they hit Paris. Isn't Gesink riding with some form of break at the moment?

Eldrack said:
I thought it was Simon Gerrans who had a broken arm? He's out of the race. If Evans has a broken arm as well then at this rate half the field is going to have snapped a bone by the time they hit Paris. Isn't Gesink riding with some form of break at the moment?

It sounds like Evans fractured his elbow when he crashed Sunday. Gesink has a broken wrist. Farrar has a broken wrist. Armstrong has a broken ego.

an utter shame for c.e. definitely wouldn't take him with me to vegas or monte carlo. this guy is hard luck.

This is really sad. Evans probably knew that this was his last chance to win a GT. However, seeing that Contador, Schleck, and Sanchez were so far ahead of the next group by the finish makes it seem that Cadel would have lost time anyway, albeit not as much time as he had lost today.

An elbow is definitely a sub-optimal place to have a fracture. Of course only Evans, his team, and his doc know the nature of the fracture, but I'd still have to say Evans is a pretty hard man to endure that, especially enduring a fracture in the elbow--or anywhere in the upper body--in the mountains, having to pull on the bars while climbing....

It's been a tough TdF for skeletal continuity.

I found it interesting that Cadel seemed upset but still strangely upbeat. Perhaps a bit of relief now the pressure is off or is it just further evidence that he seems a much happier man with BMC? The big cuddle he got from his team mate at the finish almost brought tears to my eyes.

Evans is one tough bugger.

Tears I can understand. He probably felt utterly furstrated and that he had let his team down.
He didn't.
He stuck with it and he finished.

The man has done the rainbow jersey proud. He will come good again in the Pyrennees.
OK overall GC is out of reach now but he can finish strongly and I suspect he will, injury permitting.

mrfrogger said:
I found it interesting that Cadel seemed upset but still strangely upbeat. Perhaps a bit of relief now the pressure is off or is it just further evidence that he seems a much happier man with BMC? The big cuddle he got from his team mate at the finish almost brought tears to my eyes.

That might be an indication of the pain with which he was riding. He might have been relieved that it was pain that kept him down rather than not having the legs today. Also, pain can, in some people and some circumstances, create a transcendental state for some and bring on a state of bliss. Many spiritual native American ceremonies, as well as those of other native folk around the world, involve pain as a transformational component.

Rob Schultheis writes about this in his book, [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Games-Extreme-Shamanism-Transcendence/dp/1558215069]Bone Games[/ame].

Very disapointed for Evans, he just cant seem to get any luck in the longer tours. Full credit to him for riding on through the pain, hopefully his luck will turn around some time soon

this is particulary sad in that evans has transformed himself from when he was on the podium 2 years ago. he went from being the wheelsucker every viewer hated to the guy who animates races.

i imagine he would have finished with gesink and menchov had he been healthy and that would have well kept him in this race.

hes one tough SOB for not revealing his injuries until after that stage. riding with a broken elbow on a climb that required lots of accelerations is hard to do unless of course you are on the same diet that tylers twin had back in the day.

Damn.....my two favourite racers drop out of contention due to circumstances beyond their control.

Talk about bad luck.

PS - it's spelled "jaune" btw

vitamin s said:
this is particulary sad in that evans has transformed himself from when he was on the podium 2 years ago. he went from being the wheelsucker every viewer hated to the guy who animates races.

i imagine he would have finished with gesink and menchov had he been healthy and that would have well kept him in this race.

hes one tough SOB for not revealing his injuries until after that stage. riding with a broken elbow on a climb that required lots of accelerations is hard to do unless of course you are on the same diet that tylers twin had back in the day.

:D:D

In my modest opinion, Evans would have lost big time yesterday even without the elbow injury. Perhaps not 9 minutes but big time anyway. Let's face it, the guy just cracked.

The same for Lance Armstrong the day before. Without the crashes he migtht have done better but would have lost at least a couple of minutes too.