Cadel Evan's collarbone

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by patch70, Sep 9, 2003.

1. patch70

patch70 New Member

Cadel crashed in stage 3 of the Vuelta. He has broken his left clavicle for the third time this year!!!
    Is this just really bad luck or do we start to wonder about his technique?

Tags:

2. claggy

claggy New Member

it must be bad luck but he does seem to have had some unusual crashes .
    heres hoping he has an injury free 2004

3. Virenque

Virenque New Member

4. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

if you all read cyclingnews, you'll find that he didn't actually break it.

5. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Hehe interesting question....could be there technique. Some people seem always caught in crashes, like evans, savoldelli, hamilton. Some always have alot of luck, Armstrong for example.....or is he always at the right spot at the right time? It also depends what for rider youre talking about; a sprinter is someone who crashes alot compared to other (they like taking risks). GC men are kept behind there teammates at the front and don't crash alot. Interesting question;)

6. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

The rest of the article is here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/may05/may15news I think he's still a top 10 contender.

7. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Sh*t!!! :mad:

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

That was years ago dont stress ;)

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

You've got to wonder at how a rider, who is supposed to that good, can manage to crash as regaularly as Evans does.

It can't just be bad luck, can it ?

10. patch70

patch70 New Member

As a former top mountain biker, I would guess that he must have pretty good bike handling skills???

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

That's what i would have assumed.
    Which makes me wonder why he has such dreadful luck with falls.

12. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Funny, it turned up yesterday just in time for the news of his most recent crash. Coincidence. I'll have to check dates. I feel better already.

13. babylou

babylou New Member

Well bad luck is just that; bad luck.

14. mocka58

mocka58 New Member

Maybe he didn't adapt to riding in big bunches very easily. He wouldn't be the first guy to have that trouble. Sounds like he may have been pacing behind a car this time which is potentially dangerous. Obviously you can't see where you are going. I once blew out both tyres being paced at speed along a country road behind a car. Hit a pothole going downhill. Don't know how I managed to stay upright! The last 50km of my ride was in the car.

15. bobke

bobke New Member

You don't pace behind a car on a mountain descent, because they can and might have to brake. Pacing is to block wind on the flats etc.

When a car brakes on a mountain, thay can stop much faster than a bike-a situation you dont want to be in. No, you only pace behind when a car has long sight-lines. If anyone has seen the DVD Road to the Tour you can see Armstrong descend alpine passes with Bruyneel behind in the car.

Cadel sounds a bit defensive--a crash he couldnt avoid and all--if he was going down the Col d'Aubisque at only 50 kph he was braking. I went down either side at 60 kph taking it easy.

I mean I think the guy has crash probelms period. Like Tyler.

16. mitosis

mitosis New Member

You'd think someone who has been world mountain bike champion would have superior bike handling skills. I'm not saying Evans has, but it is probably a reasonable assumption.

17. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Maybe he really has bad luck, but more likely it`s his mistake. I think they (Evans, Savoldelli, ..) are exaggerating too much sometimes, because most of riders almost never broke a bone. For example, Savoldelli is well known for his descending, but maybe he just risks more than others..:confused:

18. bobke

bobke New Member

I just got an email from friends who were doing a recon ride of the Aubisque and Soulor a few weeks ago and the top 3-4 km of road were covered in snow. Evans said he crashed on gravel which is likely to have washed down with the melting snow, so bad luck.
    Those roads I recall are often wet and particulary the French side of the Aubisque descent in the shadows, whereas the Spnaish side faces the sun. Bad visibility and all.
    Too bad.