Cadel Evan's collarbone

patch70

Jun 19, 2003
Cadel crashed in stage 3 of the Vuelta. He has broken his left clavicle for the third time this year!!!
Is this just really bad luck or do we start to wonder about his technique?

Originally posted by patch70
Cadel crashed in stage 3 of the Vuelta. He has broken his left clavicle for the third time this year!!!

it must be bad luck but he does seem to have had some unusual crashes .
heres hoping he has an injury free 2004

Hehe interesting question....could be there technique. Some people seem always caught in crashes, like evans, savoldelli, hamilton. Some always have alot of luck, Armstrong for example.....or is he always at the right spot at the right time? It also depends what for rider youre talking about; a sprinter is someone who crashes alot compared to other (they like taking risks). GC men are kept behind there teammates at the front and don't crash alot. Interesting question;)

patch70 said:

In his diary on his website, cadel.com.au, Cadel wrote, "I've got a sore ankle, hip, knee, head and shoulder. I'm a bit buckled up actually. It was only a silly crash but something that I just couldn't avoid...And now I can report that there's a little break in one of the holes where the pins were placed during a previous operation. It's a small fracture, and of course I'm being honest when I say that I really don't think it will affect anything for my preparation for the Tour de France."

"The crash happened while we were descending the Col d'Aubisque. Considering I was riding at over 50kph, I've got to consider myself lucky that I'm not worse off. It's only the second time that I've crashed my road bike during a training ride over the past 15 years and I'm just thankful that my injuries aren't worse than they are."
The rest of the article is here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/may05/may15news I think he's still a top 10 contender.

patch70 said:

Sh*t!!! :mad:

You've got to wonder at how a rider, who is supposed to that good, can manage to crash as regaularly as Evans does.

It can't just be bad luck, can it ?

limerickman said:
You've got to wonder at how a rider, who is supposed to that good, can manage to crash as regaularly as Evans does.

It can't just be bad luck, can it ?
As a former top mountain biker, I would guess that he must have pretty good bike handling skills???

patch70 said:
As a former top mountain biker, I would guess that he must have pretty good bike handling skills???

That's what i would have assumed.
Which makes me wonder why he has such dreadful luck with falls.

steve said:
That was years ago dont stress ;)

Funny, it turned up yesterday just in time for the news of his most recent crash. Coincidence. I'll have to check dates. I feel better already.

limerickman said:
That's what i would have assumed.
Which makes me wonder why he has such dreadful luck with falls.
Well bad luck is just that; bad luck.

Maybe he didn't adapt to riding in big bunches very easily. He wouldn't be the first guy to have that trouble. Sounds like he may have been pacing behind a car this time which is potentially dangerous. Obviously you can't see where you are going. I once blew out both tyres being paced at speed along a country road behind a car. Hit a pothole going downhill. Don't know how I managed to stay upright! The last 50km of my ride was in the car.

mocka58 said:
Maybe he didn't adapt to riding in big bunches very easily. He wouldn't be the first guy to have that trouble. Sounds like he may have been pacing behind a car this time which is potentially dangerous. Obviously you can't see where you are going. I once blew out both tyres being paced at speed along a country road behind a car. Hit a pothole going downhill. Don't know how I managed to stay upright! The last 50km of my ride was in the car.

You don't pace behind a car on a mountain descent, because they can and might have to brake. Pacing is to block wind on the flats etc.

When a car brakes on a mountain, thay can stop much faster than a bike-a situation you dont want to be in. No, you only pace behind when a car has long sight-lines. If anyone has seen the DVD Road to the Tour you can see Armstrong descend alpine passes with Bruyneel behind in the car.

Cadel sounds a bit defensive--a crash he couldnt avoid and all--if he was going down the Col d'Aubisque at only 50 kph he was braking. I went down either side at 60 kph taking it easy.

I mean I think the guy has crash probelms period. Like Tyler.

hombredesubaru said:
You don't pace behind a car on a mountain descent, because they can and might have to brake. Pacing is to block wind on the flats etc.

When a car brakes on a mountain, thay can stop much faster than a bike-a situation you dont want to be in. No, you only pace behind when a car has long sight-lines. If anyone has seen the DVD Road to the Tour you can see Armstrong descend alpine passes with Bruyneel behind in the car.

Cadel sounds a bit defensive--a crash he couldnt avoid and all--if he was going down the Col d'Aubisque at only 50 kph he was braking. I went down either side at 60 kph taking it easy.

I mean I think the guy has crash probelms period. Like Tyler.

You'd think someone who has been world mountain bike champion would have superior bike handling skills. I'm not saying Evans has, but it is probably a reasonable assumption.

Maybe he really has bad luck, but more likely it`s his mistake. I think they (Evans, Savoldelli, ..) are exaggerating too much sometimes, because most of riders almost never broke a bone. For example, Savoldelli is well known for his descending, but maybe he just risks more than others..:confused:

Virenque said:
Maybe he really has bad luck, but more likely it`s his mistake. I think they (Evans, Savoldelli, ..) are exaggerating too much sometimes, because most of riders almost never broke a bone. For example, Savoldelli is well known for his descending, but maybe he just risks more than others..:confused:
I just got an email from friends who were doing a recon ride of the Aubisque and Soulor a few weeks ago and the top 3-4 km of road were covered in snow. Evans said he crashed on gravel which is likely to have washed down with the melting snow, so bad luck.
Those roads I recall are often wet and particulary the French side of the Aubisque descent in the shadows, whereas the Spnaish side faces the sun. Bad visibility and all.
Too bad.