Cadel Evans Interview - 100% certain he is clean

Runitout said:
Just cos the hills are small doesn't mean you can't win. repeated accelerations on small hills can rob the big guys of their sprint. I am 165 and a sprinter, and I have been outsprinted at the end by small guys that I can usually put 10kmh on - I just have nothing left.

You need a good coach and some SE work to build up your max output. If you can hold the wheels of the big boys when they accelerate, then go yourself when it heads up hill, you'll negate their sprints at the end.

I hate it when the little guys work me over on small climbs. I have the power to match them but it ruins my finishing kick.
i have no trouble winning a race in those conditions. i've just never got to race on a course where it comes down to a 40minute climb up to the finish. i've trained on conditions like that, but never raced. i'd rather attack so hard that if i got caught i'd get popped off the back than have the race end in a sprint. 9 out of 10 of the races i've won this year were from a break, but only a few in sprints. i'd just rather be off the front working than sitting in waiting for a sprint.

it's funny you say that cause that's exactly how me and a teammate ride a race... we'll burn it on the uphill and if one of us gets a gap we keep going, if not we know the heavier riders were really hurting. i really love racing in those conditions, as long as there's at least some hills. i'd just like to see how my fitness would do with some 10-20k climbs.

thanks for the advice.. i've had plenty of time to think those things through. most people take about 4-5 years to go pro if they have the raw talent. so i'm taking it a year at a time i guess. but that's what i hear.. once you get there you improve year after year little by little untill youre 32 or so. take guys like chris horner. you can really see how he's slowly progressed. thanks again for the motivating words.. i just have gotten to where i'm not such a number ***** lol

Crankyfeet said:
No I don't train with power. I do go and periodically test my FTP just for benchmarking purposes.

I am an over 40 beginner racer. So forget about me. I have played some reasonably serious sport when younger... and can advise that you always feel older than what you really are when you are in that 20-25 age group. A lot of guys (with talent) drop out around that age bracket due to distractions... And I don't think one really physically and mentally peaks until they're 27-33. Tyler Hamilton was 20 before he busted his back and switched from skiing to cycling. He became a pro... but it took him four years or so. What matters is reaching your potential... and enjoying the process. That could take another 5-15 years. So don't ever feel like you are lagging behind anyone and are at a disadvantage. Take your time and have fun seeing how good you can get. You will be amazed looking back when you're 28, say, at how far you have come since you were 20... But it doesn't happen in a steady upcurve, in my experience, so don't get down if you hit a plateau.

All the best with it.