Cadel Evans is out of the tour squad!!!!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by jazmo, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. chickasmith

    chickasmith Guest

    Yeah, he would be annoyed right now, particularly as he won the tour of
    Austria, and Vinokourov is out.

    Where did I read recently that a stint at T-Mobile (formerly Telekom) was
    killing ambition because they always had to ride for 'ginger nuts' ... ?
    Remember that name Santiago Botero? Paolo Savoldelli?

    Maybe a change of teams for him then?

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How peeved would he be?
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jun04/jun23news
    >

    > --

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

  3. Hitchy

    Hitchy Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Seems wierd. He's be way handy in the hills for the 'pie-muncher' and in
    > the team TT, him and ginger would just tow everyone home!

    g'day,

    cadel would be in if he was german!. (german team/german sponsor). If
    the squad was picked simply on ability to help jan in the tour, they
    would of left out Zabel. Eric isn't likely to be able to sprint with the
    likes of cookie, mcewen, Pettachi or even the 'lion king' anymore.
    Obviously only been chosen to satisfy the sponsor. watch out for mick
    rogers though...i reckon he could go top 5 this year,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

    --

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Hitchy wrote:
    > watch out for mick rogers though...i reckon he could go top 5 this year,
    > cheers,
    > Hitchy

    good tip. the 'forgotten' aussie at the mo

    BTW, how is that Look frame comin along hitch ?

    --

  5. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    Cadel Evans out of the tour, I'm gutted.

    Last year a Hobart journo, John Briggs, went over especially to follow
    Cadel in his first tour, but that was thwarted by the broken collarbone.

    Anyway all is not lost as Briggsie has published a book of his
    experiences in France called "Hugo, Armstrong and Me" , Zeus
    Publications. Well worth a read for Victor Hugo or Cycling tragics.

    --

  6. oely

    oely Guest

    jazmo wrote:
    > How peeved would he be?
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jun04/jun23news

    It must be shattering to him but lets face it, with the team hes on it
    was always a fair chance to happen. I think hed be more help than Botero
    to Ullrich but then maybe Botero is a better all round rider? i dunno.
    im really dissappointed i wont get to see him ride. I was looking
    forward to following the tour live and an aussie who can climb with the
    GC contenders.

    Rogers i think is still a year off climing wise before he can look at a
    top 10 placing. Top 20 for him i think, which is still a perfectly
    commendable effort. Thats assuming he wont be made to carry king
    richard in his uninteresting plight for the poka dot.

    I also think Zabel is still worth a go in the tour. He woulda had a
    Milan San Remo victory this year <cept for this brain fart>, he can get
    over those climbs other sprinters cant, hes got enough in him to finish
    in the top 5 or so in bunch finishes and to be honest im really looking
    forward to seeing the great Zabel in the flesh. Hes a real pro and id
    love to see him race while hes still reasonably competitive. The tour de
    france's popularity is as much about the differant personalities and
    personas as the skill they all display. Its great theatre and i really
    cant wait to see my first tour live.

    --

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    oely wrote:
    > ... and i really cant wait to see my first tour live.

    Loooooky Looooky Bastard :D

    --

  8. mfhor

    mfhor Guest

    wrote:
    > Where did I read recently that a stint at T-Mobile (formerly Telekom)
    > was killing ambition because they always had to ride for 'ginger nuts'
    > ... ? Remember that name Santiago Botero? Paolo Savoldelli?
    > Maybe a change of teams for him then?

    Was it one of the Americans - Leipheimer (?) who complained they signed
    up as a T-Mobile domestique and just rode their guts out for Zabel and
    Ulrich, with no chance for a personal win in the smaller races? So they
    signed on elsewhere. Cycle Sport, I think, last issue. Caveat Cadel.

    MH

    --

  9. Bluenose

    Bluenose Guest

    Hi,

    It was Bobby Julich. He was going to retire but signed up for CSC.

    mfhor wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Where did I read recently that a stint at T-Mobile (formerly Telekom)
    > > was killing ambition because they always had to ride for 'ginger nuts'
    > > ... ? Remember that name Santiago Botero? Paolo Savoldelli?
    > > Maybe a change of teams for him then?

    > Was it one of the Americans - Leipheimer (?) who complained they signed
    > up as a T-Mobile domestique and just rode their guts out for Zabel and
    > Ulrich, with no chance for a personal win in the smaller races? So they
    > signed on elsewhere. Cycle Sport, I think, last issue. Caveat Cadel.
    >
    > MH
    >
    > --

  10. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Top posting
    Cadel's problem is that he is an attacking rider. Ullrich doesn't like that.
    He would prefer a steady pacemaker.

    With Hamilton, Heras, Mayo, Zubeldia likely to send off attack after attack
    the last things Ullrich needs is to have one of his teamates doing the same.

    Unfortunately for Cadel this would have been perfect for telecom as they
    could have sent him with the first attacks and let Ullrich sit back....would
    have been great in the Massif.

    Peter
    ( what chance one of Armstrong's domestiques does just that?)

    news:[email protected]